Which arts generate the most power in their punches/strikes?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi?

Goju Ryu Karate?

Boxing?

Systema?

You tell me! Internal external or both it doesn't matter.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think 'most' power is a bit of a red herring. It doesn't take a hugely powerful strike to cause damage. The most powerful strikes I have seen are all delivered with a great deal of relaxation. This you find in Aikido, Systema and Goju. Obviously there are others but these three I have experienced and I could not separate them.
:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would prefer an accurate strike to a deliberating part of the body to a powerful one that just hit anywhere.
But for the OP I really do not know I have been hit with punches that hurt from many different styles.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are principles within GoJu that are found in other arts, if, taught correctly and understood completely. It is something that is not openly taught, but, the body mechanics are there.
No one is taught how to hit hard but through proper training and adhering to principles, power is the side benefit.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In CMA, the following styles are famous for "power generation". Those styles all have "drills" that if you just train those drills daily, you will obtain "power generation" idea in a short period of time (may be 3 months).

- Baji,

- Chen Taiji,

- Xingyi Liu He.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Combat requires:

1. timing,
2. opportunity,
3. angle,
4. power,
5. balance.

The power is just 1/5 of the total requirement.

I know, but like someone thats passionate about stamps or cars, its not always about the logical and rational. I like effectiveness but I have a Bonner for power. You see where im coming from?

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
In CMA, the following styles are famous for "power generation". Those styles all have "drills" that if you just train those drills daily, you will obtain "power generation" idea in a short period of time (may be 3 months).

- Baji,

- Chen Taiji,

- Xingyi Liu He.

Awesome thankyou kind sir I love you!

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know, but like someone thats passionate about stamps or cars, its not always about the logical and rational. I like effectiveness but I have a Bonner for power. You see where im coming from?
Depends how you define power. Soft styles can have enormous power that can overcome brute strength. Being passionate about power can leave you lacking in other areas.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends how you define power. Soft styles can have enormous power that can overcome brute strength. Being passionate about power can leave you lacking in other areas.

I mean power as in a damaging impact via a fast and heavy strike.

Whats a soft style and whats so soft about it? How can it have lots of power and be soft?

Cheers!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course we all want to develop that final knock down power. When we deal with multiple opponents, that knock down power is extremely important.

Just like a

- grappler who concentrates 100% on his ground skill. Without a good "throwing skill", he won't have chance to apply his ground skill.
- striker who concentrates 100% on his power generation. Without a good "entering strategy", he won't have chance to apply his "finish strategy".

A nuclear head is important. But that missile deliver system is also important.

Latest Discussions