Which Art is the most

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
KUng fu deals with all kinds of ranges, kicks punches, locks, holds, knees elbows, clawing, gouging but I would find it usefull to cross train.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To put a name on the M/A art that is best is like a fools joke. As if 1 art could be called best then how come there is so many. Would not it make sence that every one would do that art. being a good or great fighter is a person not the art. Just some arts are better suited for producing better over all results for more people. Heck There are street fighters out there that never train in any M/A that could eat a lot of M/A people up in most any type of fight they fight. Why because they can fight they have the heart to try and hurt if they have to the average M/A fighter can whip say the average street fighter. THe good M/a fighter can perhaps whip a good street fighter But that person better have the heart to do what they need to do. So is there some secret art out there that has the truth that every one has tried to find. No the truth shall be yours the art was just your guide. Take the name out of your art what is it now its kung fu ,gung fu karate kenpo, kempo kali silat jutisu. Then take those givens away Its your way of doing what you do. Boxers box they call it boxing. Not 200 different names for it. Fighting is fighting its not pretty like in the class its hard and real If you look for a name of the best so called M/A then you have missed the most important aspect. Your self

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Old Fat Kenpoka thanks for the negative rep. for my question, here you go sir, I know what is best for me. I wanted input from others on this board and there reasoning behind it. Next time why don't you post a comment and then negitive rep. somebody oh yea that would mean to have to have an answer sorry.

Terry
PS to the other mods. I'm sorry as I post this and I relize I will get in trouble oh well.

You are quite welcome. I am sorry that you MartialTalk rep is so important to you that you are hurt by negative rep. I see someone returned my favor to you.

So you have asked your question and gotten recommendations for 9 different arts. Have you learned anything more about those arts? Have you learned anything more about self-defense? Since you already know what is best for you, what are you really trying to accomplish with this thread?

If you still want my answer, here it is.

There is no "complete" art. And self-defense requirements vary from person-to-person, place-to-place, and time-to-time. For instance, my self-defense requirements in my early 20's bar-hopping via bicycle in bad neighborhoods with way-too-much-free-time-to-spend-training is much different from my current mid-40's car-commuter/international-flyer office-guy quiet-neigborhood family-man little-spare-time requirement. I wouldn't look for the most complete art, I would look for the best art for my circumstance. For me, now, it is BJJ which addresses my weakest self-defense area.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
There is no "complete" art. And self-defense requirements vary from person-to-person, place-to-place, and time-to-time. For instance, my self-defense requirements in my early 20's bar-hopping via bicycle in bad neighborhoods with way-too-much-free-time-to-spend-training is much different from my current mid-40's car-commuter/international-flyer office-guy quiet-neigborhood family-man little-spare-time requirement. I wouldn't look for the most complete art, I would look for the best art for my circumstance. For me, now, it is BJJ which addresses my weakest self-defense area.
I must not be reading this right. Are you saying that BJJ is the best art for self-defense in the carpool lane/on a plane/at the watercooler? :uhyeah:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
You are quite welcome. I am sorry that you MartialTalk rep is so important to you that you are hurt by negative rep. I see someone returned my favor to you.

So you have asked your question and gotten recommendations for 9 different arts. Have you learned anything more about those arts? Have you learned anything more about self-defense? Since you already know what is best for you, what are you really trying to accomplish with this thread?

If you still want my answer, here it is.

Here goes what am I trying to accomplished: hummm maybe polite talk over way people view there SD and maybe some real answer to why they have choosen that particular method over some other one.

And last but not least I don't care about the negitive reps. I get from people that do not responed to a question. My dignity is always in tact and question are the backbone to learning!!!!!!

Terry

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I must not be reading this right. Are you saying that BJJ is the best art for self-defense in the carpool lane/on a plane/at the watercooler? :uhyeah:

Ha, ha. No. I am saying that after learning to shoot a gun, throw a knife, hit with a stick, and studying Kenpo, the biggest gap in my martial arts training is on the ground. As far as self-defense goes, I stay away from trouble and don't "worry" about it.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Here goes what am I trying to accomplished: hummm maybe polite talk over way people view there SD and maybe some real answer to why they have choosen that particular method over some other one.

And last but not least I don't care about the negitive reps. I get from people that do not responed to a question. My dignity is always in tact and question are the backbone to learning!!!!!!

Terry

OK, peace. There is no point in us fighting.

As far as self-defense training goes. My opinion is very different from what it was 15 or 20 years ago. Instead of spending your entire life trying to find or master a "complete" art that turns out to be incomplete. I recommend people manage their MA career in multi-year chunks. Pick SPORT oriented arts that maximize fitness and make you work a limited repertoire of techniques against a fully resisting oponent. Don't waste your time with Shaolin-wannabe and Samurai-wannabe arts that focus on behavior control, meditation, and repetition of Katas and pre-set defense maneuvers against cooperative UKE's or imaginary invisible opponents.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
OK, peace. There is no point in us fighting.

As far as self-defense training goes. My opinion is very different from what it was 15 or 20 years ago. Instead of spending your entire life trying to find or master a "complete" art that turns out to be incomplete. I recommend people manage their MA career in multi-year chunks. Pick SPORT oriented arts that maximize fitness and make you work a limited repertoire of techniques against a fully resisting oponent. Don't waste your time with Shaolin-wannabe and Samurai-wannabe arts that focus on behavior control, meditation, and repetition of Katas and pre-set defense maneuvers against cooperative UKE's or imaginary invisible opponents.

I can certainly respect that, I too agree you cannot train like back 20 years ago time are changing on a daily basis. One must keep therespirit clear and there views open when it comes down to SD.
Thank you for a great response.:asian:
Terry

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k. second time today i have seen this kind of question. IT"S ANNONYING!!!!!!! i'm thinking people have forgetten all about my 'I hate to have to do this, but..." thread. should post it? do i really need to?

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
o.k. second time today i have seen this kind of question. IT"S ANNONYING!!!!!!! i'm thinking people have forgetten all about my 'I hate to have to do this, but..." thread. should post it? do i really need to?

Or.... you could just stay off the threads that annoy you. Just a thought. ;)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:

You should really see a doctor if a thread is getting to you, remember wax on wax off, breath danielson!!!
Terry

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's not so much the thread as the question. is it truelly nessisary to ask 'so what is the best martial art', or 'which style is better?', and the like. it is a complete waste of time. and it says that one style is better then anouther, which is not true.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The art of fighting...more important is your physcial condition, and the amount of training time.

Will you or can you last long enough in a real street fight? Will you be able to continune to out kick and punch the other person? Will you be able to takedown/throw your attacker to the ground without be taken there first?

Can you actully defend and last in a real fighting sitution? Physical condition and fit?

This is most important for any art of fighting.....can out last the attacter or out run the attacker? Black belts does not have any meaning if you tire out quickly...cannot breath..out of breath...physcial give up....

The art of fighting should not be limited ...because real fights...anything goes..anything can happen...are you train for this? .....Aloha

PS: you can get lucky sometimes...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many systems that would do just fine for self-defense, and they are too numerous to list in a single thread.

Despite this, though, no one art will be "the most appropriate" for self-defense. After all, people come in different shapes and sizes, abilities, etc. To take a tall and lanky individual with a high center of gravity, and try to make him learn grappling styles for self-defense purposes, might very well be counterproductive. While a particular grappling system may be an excellent choice for some people, for others, it's going to be as useless as (insert commonly used metaphor here).

Instead, it's up to the individual to do some homework, and put on some elbow grease, as he figures out what is going to work best for him. One man's food can be, after all, another man's poison.

mjdeslon

White Belt
Reaction score
That is a huge question. My answer is pretty simple. In my experience, its not the effectiveness of the "art" of the person, more as the "competence" of the individual in the art. Find a style that suits how you move/or want to move and train hard...

Latest Discussions