Which arm muscle drives the punch -- triceps?

R

Ravensign

I (an amateur) am looking at my arm here, and it seems like the tricep is driving my punch.

I am just curious what arm muscle is most often considered the main driving force of a punch.

I suppose that people like to work that muscle for faster/harder punches.

Just wondering, I am sure this has been analyzed out the wazoo.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

well the triceps are used to straighten your arm. thats all i know for sure. but to see which muscle, use 2-3lb weights when punching.

i do that at my MT gym, ive noticed my shoulder socket muscle get bigger.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Ravensign

I (an amateur) am looking at my arm here, and it seems like the tricep is driving my punch.

I am just curious what arm muscle is most often considered the main driving force of a punch.

I suppose that people like to work that muscle for faster/harder punches.

Just wondering, I am sure this has been analyzed out the wazoo.

First off you should be punching with the whole body and not just any part of the arm.

Secondly the arm muscles that do come into play are the deltoids, triceps, biceps (when returning) the wrist muscles and even your back.
(so basically your whole arm)

A member of our Assoc. did a study at Brigham Young University on the body mechanics of punching.
For some reason I seem to have lost the article but it was pretty interesting.

OP
S

SolidTiger

You should be careful when punching, because you can really hurt yourself. Like RyuShiKan said you should use your whole body to punch, as a fighter you are going to have to learn how to
move your feet. shoulders, and hips should be lined up, and you should have a good base, and keep your knees bent for a spring
action. When I practice by myself I get in a horsestance and go over differant punches, it makes your legs stronger and your punches more powerful. The more you punch the more confident an effective your punch will become.

Thank You

SolidTiger