where to train in america

nas89

White Belt
Reaction score
i am lost on where to train i was the guy who posted the brown belt in one year thread well my grand parents died in a car accident in rio de janeiro.my family are devasted man i swear it
i wont go to brazil to train but m stuck on where to train. Here in the united kingdom we have braulio estima who is amazing and roger gracie who is even better and a few more blackbelts. But i wanna hear what you guys have to say on the united states and what they have to offer for a person that wants to train full time for a year and what the atmosphere is like in america fill me in boys.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i am lost on where to train i was the guy who posted the brown belt in one year thread well my grand parents died in a car accident in rio de janeiro.my family are devasted man i swear it
i wont go to brazil to train but m stuck on where to train. Here in the united kingdom we have braulio estima who is amazing and roger gracie who is even better and a few more blackbelts. But i wanna hear what you guys have to say on the united states and what they have to offer for a person that wants to train full time for a year and what the atmosphere is like in america fill me in boys.

I am a little confused whya re you not going to Brazil now but instead looking to go else where?. I understand about people diring but it is about training.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The best place to train in America, in my opinion, is Straight Bast Gym in Portland Oregon

http://www.straightblastgym.com/

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are your BJJ goals? If you want MMA style BJJ, Sport style, No-gi style those are all going to be different places.

Plus the US is a big place and has schools all over the country. What time of year are you considering coming? Do you want to see the scenery while here or want warm weather?

If you can give a bit more info, I think people could give some good examples of places that will fit what you want.

OP
N

nas89

White Belt
Reaction score
Obviosly i wanna train Gi and no gi but roger gracie and braulio estima are charging $180 for unlimited lessons man hey i cant pay that much i wanna learn bjj for a whole year and nothing else no work just train for a year but i cant find a place thats affordble roger gracie and braulio estima are good but i just wanna train affordble man its not like rickson or the machado brothers are teachin so i wud love if it was affordble here in England. what are the prices like in the USA like m takin unlimited lessons with for a month so i work out wheres cheaper for me and does anybody know what the prices are like in brazil

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obviosly i wanna train Gi and no gi but roger gracie and braulio estima are charging $180 for unlimited lessons man hey i cant pay that much i wanna learn bjj for a whole year and nothing else no work just train for a year but i cant find a place thats affordble roger gracie and braulio estima are good but i just wanna train affordble man its not like rickson or the machado brothers are teachin so i wud love if it was affordble here in England. what are the prices like in the USA like m takin unlimited lessons with for a month so i work out wheres cheaper for me and does anybody know what the prices are like in brazil

So, you believe that somehow coming to the US, not working, not making any money, spending all your time training, with no income to support yourself for a YEAR is somehow going to be CHEAPER than spending $180 [a month, I assume] staying where you are???

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Prices here in the states are not going to be much cheaper per month, at least not training with a black belt.

I would suspect that unlimited training with black belt instruction would run you between $100-$200 per month depending on the part of the country your training in, and who the instructor is.

OP
N

nas89

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok money is not an issue i work on a oil rig and i earn 60000 dollars in 3 months so i m cool i can rent a 1 bedroom flat and live anywhere man so dont bring that **** up like u know my life. i just wanna train full time for like a year 10 hours a day and come back to the UK and start my own thing braulio is a really cool dude and hes got mad skillz but i cant afford it and if the prices are so simeliar i might just check miami out and stay there for 2 weeks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to post up where you live or where you can train in the UK I can give you a few options. I agree though that Braulio is very good.
No offence to Americans and with the greatest respect but unless you are going to train with the likes of Chuck Liddell etc there's nowhere that you can train in America that will give you more than you can get in the UK! If trravelling is the point of the exercise though, I think you will find it very expensive. You could go to Thailand and train at the Bangkok fight club, the BJJ there is very good.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

$180 for pro level training is pretty standard in the states.

If you don't want pro-level training, you can find your school cheaper - but it won't be the same level of training.

You can always train with us in St. Louis - we don't have pro level at our club, but we are cheaper and you'll learn a lot... Just click the St. Louis link at the bottom of this post.

-Dwayne

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Am I missing something here

i work on a oil rig and i earn 60000 dollars in 3 months

train full time for like a year 10 hours a day

roger gracie and braulio estima are charging $180 for unlimited lessons

for unlimited lessons $180 X 12Mo = $2160 per year

That does not seem all that expensive to me and it is unlimited lessons

How is it more affordable to move to the US to train?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Braulio Estima has an excellent reputation here and is known for turning out very good professional fighters so to be honest if you can afford it stay with him!

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I train with a Gracie Barra black belt in San Diego and i think it is like $125 unlimited (four nights a week) but it's not a full gym, it's just a traditional dojo.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ton's of excellent schools here in the States!
icon14.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
...but roger gracie and braulio estima are charging $180 for unlimited lessons man hey i cant pay that much...

Ok money is not an issue i work on a oil rig and i earn 60000 dollars in 3 months so i m cool i can rent a 1 bedroom flat and live anywhere man so dont bring that **** up like u know my life.

hmmm... trying to reconcile the one post with the other. I'm not following your train of thought here...

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok money is not an issue i work on a oil rig and i earn 60000 dollars in 3 months so i m cool i can rent a 1 bedroom flat and live anywhere man so dont bring that **** up like u know my life. i just wanna train full time for like a year 10 hours a day and come back to the UK and start my own thing braulio is a really cool dude and hes got mad skillz but i cant afford it and if the prices are so simeliar i might just check miami out and stay there for 2 weeks
I only brought up the money issue, because you mentioned 2 of the greatest BJJ players anywhere in the world, and claimed that it was too expensive. IMO if I lived there and had the money to spend I would train with either Braulio or Roger over going anywhere else.

Roger is widely considered the greatest BJJ competitor in the world right now, and Braulio is widely considered either #1 or #2 (depending on whether Jacare is competing at the time) in his weight class. Both Roger and Braulio are two of my Jiu-Jitsu heroes, and quite honestly if I was given the chance to train for a short time with anyone in the world, I would probably choose to go to the UK over Brazil, just to train with Braulio, who has a guard game that really has influenced my Jiu-jitsu.

defkon1

White Belt
Reaction score
Defkon One Fighting and fitness AND Gracie Barra Villa Rica
is located is Villa Rica Ga, The instructor is a Jose Junior Black Belt under
the Great Master Carlos Gracie Jr. >The school is located behind the post office on bankhead or hwy 78 on Community Sq Blvd. Come out and to the best instruction in Brazilian Jui Jitsu that you can get on the west side of GA or East side of Alabama.We also offer Kickboxing and MMA training being taught to the 1 and only UFC tuff 6 Blake Bowman. Besides the the MMA, Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, we offer Kids JIU JITSU and Cardio Kickboxing.For more information call the school @ 678-840-5995 or click on the link :
http://www.Graciebarravillarica.com
http://www.defkonone.com

Latest Discussions