Where is your mind?

OP
C

cas

Hmm.. what I was trying to say I look at the eyes but my attention isn't focused on them. Most movement start in the hips. It's important to be aware of movement at this centre of gravity. But you don't neccesarily have to change the direction of your gaze (hope I'm using the right word here) to detect movement there. When the eyes are aimed at eyelevel (the horizon) you can still see something on the floor very close to the body (0.5m).
When looking at the eyes you should be able to see your opponents feet unless your fighting close in.
Although the eyes often do give away intention (in my experience) I don't think this is the only reason to look at the eyes.
where do you look at during kata?
Have you ever noticed experienced karateka suddenly stepping to one side or the other to avoid coliding with other people when sparring in a busy dojo? Even when these people are behind them?
You can look at something but you never really focus your attention on it. You just react.

interresting discussion

respectfully,

Casper

kilo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tend to think some thing like this : Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap. Is it over yet no. Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap,Oh Crap. Its over.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
looking in the direction of the chest but opening up your field of vision to the whole body has worked well for me.
some nights i would go in to work on specific things, expecting i would eat some shots, other nights i would just work everything.
had good days and not as good days, but learned a lot so it was all good!

OP
G

goju.glenn

Simply, all over the shop.

We sparred last night as warm down and I don't think I've ever been so resoundingly "beaten" by people when sparring.

The problems with my mind when sparring are;

1. I have a "must win" attitude whilst I'm not really trying to "win".

2. Rather than letting the techniques flow by themselves, I get caught into a frame of mind. For example, trying a predetermined counter.

I enjoy sparring, even when I get smashed because it is what we train for. It's a great way of learning what works, what doesn't plus a chance to try something a little different.

:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by goju.glenn

I enjoy sparring, even when I get smashed because it is what we train for. It's a great way of learning what works, what doesn't plus a chance to try something a little different.

Hey, just what I've been looking for, Self Defense for the Masochist.:D

Seriously though, I think part of your problem would be your mindset, if you honestly believe, getting smashed
is what we train for.

Dude, I train so I am the one doing the smashing........

Better the SMASHER than the SMASHEE :D

--Dave

OP
G

goju.glenn

Originally posted by D.Cobb
Hey, just what I've been looking for, Self Defense for the Masochist.:D

Seriously though, I think part of your problem would be your mindset, if you honestly believe, getting smashed

Dude, I train so I am the one doing the smashing........

Better the SMASHER than the SMASHEE :D

--Dave

:eek: :D

LOL. That did NOT come out right did it!! :D

I should have said;

1. I enjoy sparring even though I am hopeless. Sparring is the culmination of all our skills into a single event.

2. I don't ENJOY being smashed but accept it as part of learning.

:eek:

OP
G

gojukylie

Yes I agree. Being "beaten"( for lack of a better word) in sparring is all part of learning how not to be. If you havn't had a good smashing then you havn't experimented enough. :p

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
:eek: :D

LOL. That did NOT come out right did it!! :D

I should have said;

1. I enjoy sparring even though I am hopeless. Sparring is the culmination of all our skills into a single event.

2. I don't ENJOY being smashed but accept it as part of learning.

:eek:

I am sooo glad you have a sense of humour:D

I just hope that your lack of sparring skills, doesn't translate to a lack of self defense skills.

--Dave

OP
G

gojukylie

I am sooo glad you have a sense of humour:D

I just hope that your lack of sparring skills, doesn't translate to a lack of self defense skills.

--Dave

I have seen this man spar and I think that he may be underestimating himself. I also think that as MA we are very hard on ourselves. Give yourselves credit where it is deserved.:D

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gojukylie
I have seen this man spar and I think that he may be underestimating himself. I also think that as MA we are very hard on ourselves. Give yourselves credit where it is deserved.:D

It's funny, I never even realised it, until now, I do that as well. I have often wondered why people do it, but never thought to ask why "I" do it.

I guess, we also need to remind ourselves, sometimes, that sparring and self defense are two totally different things.
Most importantly in that we can afford to make mistakes in sparring.:)

--Dave

OP
G

goju.glenn

Most importantly in that we can afford to make mistakes in sparring.:)

--Dave

LOL :D . Lots of mistakes. ;)

OP
G

gojukylie

LOL :D . Lots of mistakes. ;)

On that note, do you find that if you make heaps of errors and you are getting beaten that you shut down, or that you wise up and improve.
If I am getting a whollop, sometimes it is enough for me to snap out of it and sharpen up. But there are some days where the more I try the more I drown. :p

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gojukylie
On that note, do you find that if you make heaps of errors and you are getting beaten that you shut down, or that you wise up and improve.
If I am getting a whollop, sometimes it is enough for me to snap out of it and sharpen up. But there are some days where the more I try the more I drown. :p

If I try to think about what's happening and what I want to do, yeah, I get caught too. If I just let nature take it's course, then I find it a lot easier.

Though I must admit, I really don't like to spar. Luckily for me, we don't actually spar at our school. We put on our protective equipment and fight. Master Monea keeps a close eye on us, to see who is brawling and who looks like a martial artist.

My fighting ability is improving, but I'll bet my sparring sucks:)

--Dave

OP
C

cas

Could you describe how you fight. I assume there are still some (unspoken) rules. Full contact? Grappling? do you hit/ kick the head, etc?

Casper

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cas
Could you describe how you fight. I assume there are still some (unspoken) rules. Full contact? Grappling? do you hit/ kick the head, etc?

Casper

We do restrict contact to the head, even though we wear full face helmets. All other strikes are used though. Due to the nature of our training(kyusho), we tend to attack targets in a slightly different manner to what you might expect. Rather than groin shots, we tend to attack the pressure points on the insides of the thighs, and such like. Obviously, neck strikes and regions similar in nature are restricted to the use of pain points rather than strikes. For eg. we won't strike St9 area with a percussive strike, but if our opponent tries to ground fight with us we will dig a thumb in there just to make life a little easier for ourselves.:)

Hope this helps.

--Dave

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I try to keep my mind from going on a "walk about":D . I work on letting things take place as it comes when it comes to sparring. There's days when I'm on que, and others when I'm not:shrug: .

OP
P

pknox

I try to keep my mind completely empty, and not bring in pre-conceived notions to what attack I think the person will throw. That rarely happens, however. Usually I end up being more clinical - looking at someone's shoulders, waist/hips, and knees, and trying to detect any movement. When that happens, I react as best as I can. I'm also looking at someone and trying to find weak spots for my own attacks. When I "overthink" I tend to lose, so I'm working on that. I guess that if you were listening to my thoughts, it would sound like a scientist processing data.

As for where my mind is now, it's on a sunny beach in the tropics, tanning and waiting for Tia Carrere to bring me another brew and some more fresh shellfish...unfortunately my body is here in rainy NJ. :)

OP
G

gojukylie

Originally posted by pknox
I try to keep my mind completely empty, and not bring in pre-conceived notions to what attack I think the person will throw. That rarely happens, however. Usually I end up being more clinical - looking at someone's shoulders, waist/hips, and knees, and trying to detect any movement. When that happens, I react as best as I can. I'm also looking at someone and trying to find weak spots for my own attacks. When I "overthink" I tend to lose, so I'm working on that. I guess that if you were listening to my thoughts, it would sound like a scientist processing data.

I hear you. That is pretty much the stage I am at with my sparring. I am trying hard not to think, not to pre-empt and not to have such big body movements. I am getting there.
:D

Latest Discussions