Where is your mind?

OP
S

Scout_379

It is true! don't overthink when you fight, but tha can only take you so far! I have met with several world champions, NOT KIDDING, and they all seem to treat kumite with the same respect as a chess match (only fast-paced and with some deeper consequences ;)

But seriously,
To really advance in kumite, you must think, you must deconstruct your opponent, find his/her weaknesses. "Use Fakes and Feints," my sensei says, "and know the difference between the two"

Where is you mind? Ever seen The Last Samurai? I don't think your problem is one of overthinking, but in having too many thoughts at one time; "too many minds"

Don't think about clearing your mind, just do it. Just let the match happen, find out what went wrong later, concern yourself with the moment, not before the attack, not after

OP
S

Scout_379

gotta post more lol!

About knowing your opponent: find out what attacks they like to throw, and counter it accordingly. Find out what they do when you fake, then don't fake with the same attack and trap them! Predict their actions and use it to your advantage, as above: CHESS GAME!! Every one can fight/(in chess know the rules), but the calm, intelligent one often wins out over the instinctive, fiery, fast one
I've seen it.

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
When i spar i always think of food. Really i can't bear it. If i wear to spar a guy who runs at me i will be thinking of what to do. I got stepped on and kicked in the solar plexes:shrug:.Well food is really important tome that is why it is in my head.

Latest Discussions