Where is the "Reality" forum?

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
After having spent about a month reading through the wonderful forums on Martial Talk, I noticed a gap in the forums. There seems to be a forum for every major martial art out there, but nothing dedicated to the so called "Reality Training". Are there plans for a forum dedicated to raw self defense training and these so called methods? Examples include:

Krav Maga
Haganah / F.I.G.H.T
WWII Combatives
Defendo
Abridged Wing Chun Systems (like jeet fa etc.)
Dynamic Combat
Paul Vunak
Geoff Thompson
Tony Blauer

Introduction:
Since this is my first post I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kyle and I am a software engineer in Northern California. I have studied Martial Arts and Self Defense for most of my life. The majority of my training is in a Kajukenbo / TKD blended system (relatively worthless McKarate), but I have also trained in Bujinkan for 2 years and Wing Chun for 2 years. I also have extensive personal study on Self Defense and Chin Na.

I have recently began training in Doce Pares Escrima because it seems to compliment my own personal style very well, and it gives me my first experience in full contact competition.

Thanks!

B

Black Bear

Meh, just post it in here. SD is generally the focus of "reality-oriented" systems.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome Kyle! :partyon:

Yea...Self Defense Forums have been used for Reality based self-defense (RBSD) related posts. There has been talk about giving RBSD its own forum, but I don't know if thats in the plans yet. You might want to PM over in one of the support forums and see what they say. I think that a RBSD forum might be popular, and might be worth a try.

PAUL

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk Kyle.

Erveryone,

As to Reality Based and also Strategy and Tactics, if people continue to post on these subjects, enough to show, that there is a desire. The Admin Team will review and make the appropriate changes if the Admin Team sees the desire and data (Posts) that support the desire.

Best Regards

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Assistant Administrator

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not against a reality based forum, but isnt that a little stereotypical? To say that this is the approved reality based arts is sort of reaching in to someone elses training and saying its not reality based, no? A reality based forum would need to be unspecific to system.

To say these systmes are reality based:
Krav Maga
Haganah / F.I.G.H.T

Is to say these systems are not reality based:
TKD
Judo
Kung Fu
Kenpo

Thats just a big jump to assume that, in my books at least. I think there are unrelistic training in many systems, even the royal Krav Maga. I also think there are reality based training going on in many arts including the dreaded TKD.

So to sum up, I think it would be a cool forum, but not if specified to certain systems.

7sm

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm not against a reality based forum, but isnt that a little stereotypical? To say that this is the approved reality based arts is sort of reaching in to someone elses training and saying its not reality based, no? A reality based forum would need to be unspecific to system.

I agree that the RBSD forum shouldn't be art specific but I think that what is being talked about is more of a style of training than a "style" of art. While traditional arts do teach you to defend yourself, the style of training is different than the stripped down RBSD systems. There are drills in some of the more traditional arts that could be included as part of reality based training (the alleyway in my aikido training for example) but there is also a lot of the more traditional type of training to go along with it. Pointing fingers at any art and saying that it isn't meant for reality (read real life) is a sure way to kick of a flame war. So, so long as we continue to converse in the manner to which the vast majority of us do on this site there shouldn't be a problem. I'd be interested in it myself.

OP
KyleShort

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
7sm
You are right on with my way of thinking as well. Reality based self defense can be derived from virtually every martial art. However, I did not clearly communicate my intentions.

It seems to me as though a new classification of martial arts systems has emerged in the last decade and that classifaction is unfortunately (and erroneously) labled as Reality Based Self Defense. Looking through these forums I see extensive coverage of striking, grappling, weapons and energy systems. However, there seems to be little to no coverage of these new wave systems of Krav Maga, Haganah, SPEAR etc.

So in a nutshell. Yeah I agree that Self Defense should be discussed agnostic to art, but I'd also like to see coverage of these systems as though they were there own arts.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of those arts are covered in other existing areas (Krav Maga in Western, Wing Chun has its own forum, etc.)

That said, the biggest obstacle to setting up a forum for the 'reality' concept is demand. Its hard to set up a seperate area for just a couple of people. I do like the idea, I just have to ask, will it be used?

Best way to show it'll be used is to kick things up in here (as I think its the best area at the moment) and if the demand is there, we'll be more than happy to set up a distinct area, and move the threads around as needed. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:

To say these systmes are reality based:
Krav Maga
Haganah / F.I.G.H.T

Is to say these systems are not reality based:
TKD
Judo
Kung Fu
Kenpo

Thats just a big jump to assume that, in my books at least. I think there are unrelistic training in many systems, even the royal Krav Maga. I also think there are reality based training going on in many arts including the dreaded TKD.

So to sum up, I think it would be a cool forum, but not if specified to certain systems.

7sm

All the arts mentioned above have their place, but when you see something like TKD, with all the flash, and then something like KM, well....how can you compare the two??

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kyle-- Welcome to the forum!! As for the RBSD catagory---it would probably be a good idea, due to the fact that at times when its brought up in another topic, such as the Kenpo forums, well, lets just say that some of those guys get upset if you talk about anything that is not Kenpo. Probably the best place to talk about that stuff would be right here in this thread. Start a topic of discussion, and I'm sure it'll lead to much discussion.

Again, welcome!

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
All the arts mentioned above have their place, but when you see something like TKD, with all the flash, and then something like KM, well....how can you compare the two??
I can see where your coming from, I really can, but your looking at the two arts through your knowledge of them. You have to look past that into what they could be, and how some people are training with them. KM can be very useful, but it has its limitations as well. TKD can be very watered down, but it has its fighters. You just have to look past the "norm" and see what each could be, and know that somewhere out there it is.

7sm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I can see where your coming from, I really can, but your looking at the two arts through your knowledge of them. You have to look past that into what they could be, and how some people are training with them. KM can be very useful, but it has its limitations as well. TKD can be very watered down, but it has its fighters. You just have to look past the "norm" and see what each could be, and know that somewhere out there it is.

7sm

True and I agree! I believe that all arts have something to offer. I realize that just because TKD is something that does not interest me, there are people out there who love it and can make it work for them.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Hey what is anyone's experience with Haganah?

There is an article about it in the recent black belt magazine. Looks like its an abridged version of KM. Looks effective, but then again, I'm not an expert in it.

Mike

KyleShort said:
After having spent about a month reading through the wonderful forums on Martial Talk, I noticed a gap in the forums. There seems to be a forum for every major martial art out there, but nothing dedicated to the so called "Reality Training". Are there plans for a forum dedicated to raw self defense training and these so called methods? Examples include:

Krav Maga
Haganah / F.I.G.H.T
WWII Combatives
Defendo
Abridged Wing Chun Systems (like jeet fa etc.)
Dynamic Combat
Paul Vunak
Geoff Thompson
Tony Blauer

Introduction:
Since this is my first post I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kyle and I am a software engineer in Northern California. I have studied Martial Arts and Self Defense for most of my life. The majority of my training is in a Kajukenbo / TKD blended system (relatively worthless McKarate), but I have also trained in Bujinkan for 2 years and Wing Chun for 2 years. I also have extensive personal study on Self Defense and Chin Na.

I have recently began training in Doce Pares Escrima because it seems to compliment my own personal style very well, and it gives me my first experience in full contact competition.

Thanks!

Does it really make a difference what the name of the martial art is. As long as it works it is a reality based system. The thing is when you break down martial arts the only difference is the psychology. After all there are only so many ways to puch, kick, and block etc. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
8253 said:
Does it really make a difference what the name of the martial art is. As long as it works it is a reality based system. The thing is when you break down martial arts the only difference is the psychology. After all there are only so many ways to puch, kick, and block etc. :asian:

True to a point. Sure, anything that works can be said to be reality, but if you really look at more of a traditional art and then compare it to something like Krav Maga, or something that you'd see Peyton Quinn or Marc Macyoung teach, you can see an obvious difference.

Mike

B

Black Bear

I personally see Quinn and MacYoung as still very traditional in many respects. I admit I'm basing my opinion on just one really old video I saw with them, but it looked like the mechanics of traditional arts for the most part. You know what really cracks me up though is pics of guys in street clothes doing "self defense"which consists of deep bow stances, reverse punches, a kick to the face, maybe an ikkyo armbar or kotegaeshi and then step on the guy's face. I mean, they're chambering their punches at their freaking hip! You used to see this sort of thing in old BB mags and stuff.

Quinn and MacYoung are alright. They think out what they do and keep it real, not just put street dress on crap.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
I personally see Quinn and MacYoung as still very traditional in many respects. I admit I'm basing my opinion on just one really old video I saw with them, but it looked like the mechanics of traditional arts for the most part. You know what really cracks me up though is pics of guys in street clothes doing "self defense"which consists of deep bow stances, reverse punches, a kick to the face, maybe an ikkyo armbar or kotegaeshi and then step on the guy's face. I mean, they're chambering their punches at their freaking hip! You used to see this sort of thing in old BB mags and stuff.

Quinn and MacYoung are alright. They think out what they do and keep it real, not just put street dress on crap.

Here is where I was going with this. Take Quinn for example. How many Inst. can you honestly say, put their students through the sort of adrenaline stress training that Quinn does? I havent seen that many. Now, if you look at someone like Matt Thorton, who is a big one on aliveness, and resistance...well, that to me is a good example. Matt is keeping it real!!

IMO, the thing that separates the RBSD Inst. from the rest, is that they seem to use the JKD principle- Take what is useful and discard the rest. The RBSD guys have taken out the fancy stances, the fancy high kicks, the bowing, meditation, kata, and kept the stuff that is going to work on the street.

Again, I'm not an expert on these guys. Just going on what I've read about them and heard from others.

Mike

Latest Discussions