When the Crazy Uncle shows up

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stumbled across this, and am impressed.
Excerpt:
A while back when Obama characterized his pastor (Rev. Jerehmiah Wright) as his “crazy Uncle”, to me the description did not fit for several reasons:
#Nobody would let their crazy uncle marry them
#Nobody would give roughly $200k to their crazy uncle–unless they themselves were crazy
#Nobody would pull from the inspiration from their crazy uncle for a title of a book unless it was comedic in nature
#and lastly, nobody would spend 20 years under the spiritual tutelage of their crazy uncle.

When some of this stuff came out earlier in the presidential race, this is what when through my mind, but I left it alone because like at that time, to me this was a non-issue. And in many ways it still is.
I have oftentimes thought that members of the clergy can hardly be considered true representatives of either political party (or should they). Yet anytime a member of the clergy who supports the Republican party says or does something controversial, MSM as well as many liberal Democrats are quick to play the association game.
-----
The comments are interesting.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pat Robertson said it well this morning. Acting suprised is going to seem ingenuous to the American people.
Sean

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember when I was a child, and my Mother told me that the Easter Bunny was going to bring us some candy or some such thing. She said that this Rabbit was as big as a human and would walk through the front door of the house to deliver the basket.

I could care less for the basket, I only wished to see this big rabbit for myself. Well, it was quite a letdown when I was told that there was no such Rabbit after all. It was only a made up story.

Much like the feeling one gets when you are punched right in the solar plexus, and the air goes out of you, and it doesn't go back in very easy.

Much like the feeling I got when this story broke, the story about the crazy acting preacher. I will still vote for Obama, though, he is the best of three that I can see. I say that he is the least likely to be "business as usual, no problem, all of you fat cats just line up, its still business as usual!"

With the other two -- yes, "business as usual, you have your RepubliCrat here to server you, no problem -- forget about ordinary citizens, then!"

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Much like the feeling I got when this story broke, the story about the crazy acting preacher. I will still vote for Obama, though, he is the best of three that I can see. I say that he is the least likely to be "business as usual, no problem, all of you fat cats just line up, its still business as usual!"

Why the hell is this even a story? It's much ado about absofrickinlutley nothing in regards to the election.

I'm starting think that the fact this 'story' has gotten so blown out of proportion in comparison to the real issues proves goes to prove the point "God damn America!"

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-We certainly are easily distracted in this country...oh look, something sharp and shiny...but I think this whole episode went beyond what was seen on the surface. We know there is a racial problem, although often its due to other factors, and often enough, powers that be have played on fears to divide and conquer the American public. I thought, of what I did hear of Obama's speech, that he handled it very well, and if he believes in what he said, than he will make a fine president. Obama, as talk radio has been saying, didn't throw the Rvd. Wright under the bus. He look beyond the surface of the comments Wright made, to the substance of the person underneath, and I think that is so important in a world obsessed with image.

Andrew

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and say it: Mr. Obama's preacher is absolutely correct in what he said.

I know, some people are gonna jump all over me for saying this. They are going to say I am in league with "terrorists" or some such nonsense. They say I am unpatriotic, or un-American, or that I bring shame on our flag, or more silliness.

They are gonna accuse me of saying that those who died in the 911 attack deserved what they got. But of course that is absolutely NOT what the preacher and I are claiming.

People often only hear what they want to hear, and fail to hear the real message.

Oh well. let the name-calling begin.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and say it: Mr. Obama's preacher is absolutely correct in what he said.

I know, some people are gonna jump all over me for saying this. They are going to say I am in league with "terrorists" or some such nonsense. They say I am unpatriotic, or un-American, or that I bring shame on our flag, or more silliness.

They are gonna accuse me of saying that those who died in the 911 attack deserved what they got. But of course that is absolutely NOT what the preacher and I are claiming.

People often only hear what they want to hear, and fail to hear the real message.

Oh well. let the name-calling begin.
The message can get clouded when you use language offensive to the listener. Of course you agree, but if I say, "even a cracker like you should agree", it starts to become a bit inflamitory.
Sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The message can get clouded when you use language offensive to the listener. Of course you agree, but if I say, "even a cracker like you should agree", it starts to become a bit inflamitory.
Sean

The language that I heard the preacher use was not inflammatory. I don't remember the exact words, but I did not find them offensive. I heard his message, however: the US has, over generations, acted in ways to further our own goals and profits, often at the expense of foreign nations, whose resources we have taken for ourselves, and given them little in return. We as a nation have acted offensively to others, all over the globe. Our actions as a nation have outraged these people, who we have taken advantage of for our own gain. It is little wonder that someone decided to hit back at us.

It was a wakeup call to re-examine our behavior as a nation, toward other nations and other peoples. Perhaps we have, thru our own behavior as a nation, created our own problems and created our own enemies.

That is what I heard the preacher say, and that is what I am in agreement with.

If there was something else the preacher said that had a racial slant to it, i did not hear that part.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The language that I heard the preacher use was not inflammatory. I don't remember the exact words, but I did not find them offensive. I heard his message, however: the US has, over generations, acted in ways to further our own goals and profits, often at the expense of foreign nations, whose resources we have taken for ourselves, and given them little in return. We as a nation have acted offensively to others, all over the globe. Our actions as a nation have outraged these people, who we have taken advantage of for our own gain. It is little wonder that someone decided to hit back at us.

It was a wakeup call to re-examine our behavior as a nation, toward other nations and other peoples. Perhaps we have, thru our own behavior as a nation, created our own problems and created our own enemies.

That is what I heard the preacher say, and that is what I am in agreement with.

If there was something else the preacher said that had a racial slant to it, i did not hear that part.
Until recently all American "citizens" were taught to say the pledge and love the flag. To say to us we deserve what we get and its a wonder we aren't being attacked more is kind of going against what we believe about ourselves and the country we know and love. You had best damn the sins and not the sinner on this one or you will always find vehement opposition...; unless, that is what you are going for.
Sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Until recently all American "citizens" were taught to say the pledge and love the flag. To say to us we deserve what we get and its a wonder we aren't being attacked more is kind of going against what we believe about ourselves and the country we know and love. You had best damn the sins and not the sinner on this one or you will always find vehement opposition...; unless, that is what you are going for.
Sean

Is this a quote from the Preacher's speach to his congregation? I confess, I do not remember the exact wording he used, I focused more on the message.

If he said this, I am still trying to figure out what is offensive? What does this quote mean to you?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this a quote from the Preacher's speach to his congregation? I confess, I do not remember the exact wording he used, I focused more on the message.

If he said this, I am still trying to figure out what is offensive? What does this quote mean to you?
"God Damn America" is all the quote I need.
sean

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah-ha. That's what the fuss is about? "God Damn America"?

I think his point is that we spend so much time as a nation pointing our fingers at others, that we are blind to what we ourselves (again, as a nation), have done to contribute to and perhaps even provoke the situation. We like to stand so righteously and condemn the actions of others, when our own actions are so far from clean. Again, we have created much of our own problems, and many of our own enemies.

God-Damn America? Maybe that's a response to everyone getting in line right after 911 and spouting "God Bless America!" with much flag waving and self-righteous fanfare. It was a reaction to a national tragedy, meant to make us feel better about the situation. But it was a farce. America is not the "Chosen" nation of God. God (assuming he exists, and assuming he even cares to weigh in on the subject), has no reason to favor one nation over others. God bless all nations, or God damn all nations. It makes no difference how you want to say it. I doubt God feels inclined to weigh in at all.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

"Chickens coming home to roost" less than a week after 9-11 was offensive, the government created aids to kill black people was stupid and offensive, blaming the white people and the jews...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Chickens coming home to roost" less than a week after 9-11 was offensive,

that is a common phrase found in the English language. It basically means, "you create your own problems."

I suppose it was meant to inflame to a certain degree. But I think it wasn't meant as an insult to the American people. Instead, it ought to inflame the American people and create outrage at our own government's policies that have paved the way for the act of 911. You catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar. In many cases, our nation has followed a foreign policy of vinegar.

the government created aids to kill black people was stupid and offensive, blaming the white people and the jews...

I did not hear that part of the speach.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah to see ourselves as others see us! I don't think the citizens of any country know exactly how others see them. Americans would be very upset if they knew how they come across sometimes to the rest of the world as I suspect would we. There's a lot of stereotyping of course but often we manage to live up to that. America isn't a popular country right now (Great Britain never has been before anyone thinks I'm taking a pop at you ), I don't believe it's Americans as such that are to blame but the government, it's actions and it's pronouncements. The wars in Iraq (in which we share equal blame) has caused people to judge America harshly. We get labelled as Bush's poodle so we don't get off either.
Who said that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it's exactly what Malcom said when Kennedy was assassinated, back when Ward Churchill was still in high-school.

I think the comparison to Ward Churchill is more fitting not only in comparing spheres of influence, but also because the Malcolm X quote was pre-pilgrimage and not necessarily indicitive of who he had become after completing the Hajj.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the comparison to Ward Churchill is more fitting not only in comparing spheres of influence, but also because the Malcolm X quote was pre-pilgrimage and not necessarily indicitive of who he had become after completing the Hajj.

No question, but he said it, and there was quite a fuss afterward-because he said it.

The problem with the things Rev. Wright said-aside from some of them seeming to be right out of the National Enquirer-is not their substance, or lack thereof, but the way they make Americans feel.

For example:

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye.”

Offensive as a post- 9-11 comment? Sure-it's mostly true, though.

“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America’s chickens are coming home to roost.”

Don't know that there's any evidence that we've supported state terrorism against black South Africans, though we did support the apartheid regime and condemn it at the same time. Our support for Israel is not even worth going into, though, and, while the status of "Palestinians" becomes even another argument, there is no doubt that Israel's treatment of the people identified as such is, in general, opressive.

“The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now. Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”

This is arguably true.

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ‘God Bless America.’ No, no, no, God damn America, that’s in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.”

It may be attributed by some to the same "Enquirer" school of journalism, but there is evidence that the CIA supported cocaine trade to finance the Nicuraguan Contras, and this trade led to the formulation of crack cocaine. Indeed, stringent drug laws and three-strike provisions have led to more prisoners and more prisons from drug-related crime than anything else-and prisons are fast becoming a profitable business in this country.

So, excluding the rhetoric (and that's what it is, in the larger context of where it was said) this could be construed by some as partially true.

“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!…We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.

Considering the nation's historical treatment of Indians and Blacks, I'm gonna say that I'm completely biased on this one-but it's still true, rhetoric aside. ("believe in it more than we believe in God")

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a ******. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

Again, I'll point out my personal bias, based on personal experience (the original quote mentioned being passed by cabs, something I had A LOT of experience with once)-doesn't make any of it untrue.

Years ago, when Bob Dole was running for President, he pointed out that Democrats were in office at various times the country has gone to war, and called them "Democratic wars," pointing out the death toll for each one, from WWII through Viet Nam, and saying that "Democratic Wars" killed more people than any others (or words to that effect, I can't find the exact quote right now.) There was a huge backlash against this, and he didn't even get the nomination-for a lot of other reasons as well, but this factored in. The point is, though, that he was not wrong in what he said, but only in the way that he said it....

Latest Discussions