• The first year

• Two years

• Three years

• Four or more years

Results are only viewable after voting.

old sensei

White Belt
Reaction score
A weapon is an extention of yourself. I have taught weapons without teaching an empty hand art first and have found it is much more efficient to teach an empty hand art first before teaching weapons, as in the kobudo arts. One learns how to move and one learns balance and breathing from the empty hand art and provides a foundation to build upon.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on the student. Like you we usually do not start training in Kobudo until Shodan. It really depends on the students maturity. One of the reasons we wait is because of the students maturity level especially with children. It is usually 4 yrs until we start training kids. It is really easy for someone to go to the hospital when training in weapons. When I was a kid one of my fellow students was hauled off to the hospital because the kid next to him wasn't paying attention and turned with his bo and hit him right in the eye. What makes it worse is that the instructor had just ended the session.
With adults it is really based on coordination more so than maturity. If a student doesn't have control of himself and good coordination in empt hands then teaching them weapons would be a disaster. But many of the adults start about a year to two years after starting the class usually green belt.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I teach FMA and always start off w/ footwork and a brief explanation of whats in store. we pick up the stick very first lesson after footwork.

I used to not incorporate or teach any bladed weapon until I was comfortable w/ my students. BUT!! I had a revelation, and was told by my teacher. WHY? He started me on blade work immedietly. He explained that in order to understand and learn to defend any weapon one must study it in its whole. As for teaching them to kill! Really let's analayze this: as my Guro told me and from a lawenforcement perspective.

Many people cometo the ma for different reasons.

But if someone wants to learn how to kill someone or hack someone up, chances are they'll not need to study a martial art. Hell they can go to google and find sites like this: http://www.birdflumanual.com/resources/Self_Defense/files/USE OF THE KNIFE Fairburn Method 1943.pdf

and anyone can be a certified knife killer. SO what is our responsibility as teachers?

We start by explaining the do' and donts of knife tactics.. We teach the deadly combat art from first (HOW TO KILL) U learn how to use the knife in all its aspects. Once they are comfortable w/ this knowledge you completly reform them and train them to defend against the blade. Once you are confident you can kill w/ the blade (which anyone can do that) the martial art side, the part that makes them student is when they learn to value the system and can proficietly defend against the blade. Knowing they can kill but w/ the proper training they can actually use enough skill and sense to save themselves and others by not having to kill someone... A true master or a true martial artist knows how to kill but also has enough confidece that they don't have to kill someone to finish a fight.. There are other ways. And by TRUE Kali training you'll beginto learn this as trainig continues.

So, when I look at that perspective I agreed and this is how I teach whatwas passed down to me to this day...

So my answer is, weapons are taught from week ONE!!!

I have one student who came to me, openly and honestly he tells me while he was in PRISON he learned of KALI. that when he got out of prison he wanted to learn the art. I asked him why? He said because it was what he was interested him. While in prison he "shanked" someone to survive.... So I asked do I really need to teach him how to kill or have the mentality to do so? HELL NO I DON"T.. he already has that instinct. And by him having that I need to teach him the art side..

REFORM him to understand that knowing how to kill does not make you a warrior. TO be a true warrior you need to know how to survive!!!

He has been one of the hardest working and quickest learning students i've had.. He says the martial arts is what keeps him from going off and getting into trouble. So to me, by him having this training its' reforming him. It's almost therapuetic to him to the point that having and training w/ blades he doesnt feel any need to be violent.

In a sense isn't that why we all do martial arts in some form or another? THERAPUETIC!! I know for me when Im training I am relaxed, and clear my mind of every day crap.. If this helps people like him and people like the rest of us, whoare we to judge who gets to play w/ weapons or not? I understand in essence each teacher has thier own reasoning behind what they do and thats acceptable. Butfor me this is what works..

Last edited:

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think that 1st or 2nd year is good. I'd say immediately is good too and weapons do teach footwork, timing etc, but i think it would be better to get at least some basic handtohand combat skills downpat before moving onto weapons. That's why i voted, one year.

That goes for someone that doesnt have any real ma training. But if someone has already had experiences with kungfu, karate or judo to have acquired some skills, then i think it's good to move onto weapons right away. Anything can become a weapon and i think it is good to practice with a variety of different weapons as well as specialize in certain ones.

j

Latest Discussions