When does Taiji become Tai Cheese?

L

lvwhitebir

East Winds said:
Taijiquan is more than merely performing a predetermined set of movements. If treachers are unaware of correct application techniques, how can they possibly teach correct body structure and correct posture? It is through correct body structure and posture that the energy gates and channels are opened.

I agree with the first statement. However, I still believe you can teach correct body structure and posture without really knowing the application of the techniques. Unfortunately the studies' summaries don't say whether the practitioners were taught the martial aspect or not, but I surmise it wouldn't matter. It might be interesting to see that aspect some day.

East Winds said:
I will continue to push for a higher standard of teaching particularly in taijiquan, if others are happy to settle for less, then so be it!

That's my point exactly. Do the best you can and teach what you think is the proper focus of the art. Show others that you're way is a great way to learn and is highly effective. But, if others choose a different path, why spend your time and energy bashing them and forcing their art to have a different name. Where's the authority that proves without a doubt that you're right and they're wrong. There isn't one. So it's a no-win battle and reminds me of 6-year-olds calling each other names. All it does in the end is diminish the art because no one wants to get involved with the argument. Embrace the difference to grow, there's probably something there that you can learn.

Besides, Tai Chi Chuan is a large art that has a great variety of sub-divisions. Who's to say which "family" is "correct" if one removes teaching the martial applications and instead focuses on the health aspects.

WhiteBirch

OP
East Winds

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
WhiteBirch,

Thanks for the potted Taoist type philosophy.

I rememnber going to a advertised Tai Chi class where the teacher stood us in a circle round a lighted candle in the middle of the floor. We then held a crystal in the right hand, (the Yang hand) whilst the other hand, (the Yin hand) was empty. We then had to channel the Chi energy from the light of the candle through the right hand and into the Tantien. We were then taught how to walk the circle to increase the energy flow whilst chanting the Hen, Hah sounds.

Still, by your thinking, this is the type of teaching which should be encouraged and not criticised.

Ah well it takes all types!!

With very best wishes

Alistair

L

lvwhitebir

East Winds said:
I rememnber going to a advertised Tai Chi class where the teacher stood us in a circle round a lighted candle in the middle of the floor....

Sounds like the class was doing some sort of meditation that night. Wow, that's terrible! Perhaps, though, in later classes they learned the form and the martial applications along with it. If so, is it not still Tai Chi? Just because they did some sort of mediation you don't agree with or enjoy doesn't invalidate what they did. I personally wouldn't have stayed for the class either. I don't enjoy that aspect of the art as much. I don't do a lot of meditation in my classes either, but I don't discount it or beat up the people that enjoy it either.

East Winds said:
Still, by your thinking, this is the type of teaching which should be encouraged and not criticised.

I don't remember saying 'encouraged' and if I did I appologize. I just learn to gravitate to what I enjoy and stay away from the rest. That doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong, however. They gravitate to what they enjoy. So I don't 'discourage' it outright. I don't like that kind of closed-mindedness; it stifles growth.

If they didn't learn specific aspects that I think are required for a school to advertise it as Tai Chi, then yes it's false advertising. I just don't think that knowing the martial applications is a blanket requirement for all Tai Chi. It's incomplete if you don't learn it, but not completely wrong.

East Winds said:
Ah well it takes all types!!

There you go... that's my point! There's so many things to choose from, you can find what fits your needs and desires. I would be very scared if every Tai Chi school was exactly the same. So don't worry about whether to call it Tai Chi or Tai Cheese. Until someone can list exactly what Tai Chi Chuan *is*, just do what you feel is right for you.

WhiteBirch