What's wrong with 'Chunners...

Its funny that people say chunners are blindfolded (pardon the pun ;) ). I used to study Wing Chun (For about 6 years) before our teacher did a runner (Sad, Irritating subject). Once every 3 months our sifu brought in one of the instructors from the grapping class downstairs to train us for the entire class with the idea of giving us a very basic grounding of what happens when we get caught on the ground. Opens the eyes very quickly to a weakness, esp as an only child with a 70kg frame (i.e no prior sibling fighting experience and no size advantage). He also used to cover very basic Karate and Boxing for the purposes of us understanding what we could come up against (He also trained several boxers as well as a Kenpo class)

Now training in Hapkido and dabbling in BJJ. Its amazing how well im finding all 3 styles link together. Our Hapkido class has students from many diff previous styles, Being able to spar going from Wing Chun style attack then finding a stray limb to use a Hapkido lock or throw to take it to the ground before trying to finish it with either a Roll Punch or Submission has by far improved my ability from just pure Wing Chun (albiet i dont feel i got as much out of my Wing Chun training as i would have liked, but thats a different thread)

To anyone (any style) with the blinkers on. I have to recommend cross training at least to a degree. Every style has a weakness (hence a reason why so many diff systems still exist today), and if your too stubborn to take up a new style on the side, you should at least have enough knowledge of other systems to recognise their techniques and strategy to learn how to counter them.

Its funny that people say chunners are blindfolded (pardon the pun ;) ). I used to study Wing Chun (For about 6 years) before our teacher did a runner (Sad, Irritating subject). Once every 3 months our sifu brought in one of the instructors from the grapping class downstairs to train us for the entire class with the idea of giving us a very basic grounding of what happens when we get caught on the ground. Opens the eyes very quickly to a weakness, esp as an only child with a 70kg frame (i.e no prior sibling fighting experience and no size advantage). He also used to cover very basic Karate and Boxing for the purposes of us understanding what we could come up against (He also trained several boxers as well as a Kenpo class)

Now training in Hapkido and dabbling in BJJ. Its amazing how well im finding all 3 styles link together. Our Hapkido class has students from many diff previous styles, Being able to spar going from Wing Chun style attack then finding a stray limb to use a Hapkido lock or throw to take it to the ground before trying to finish it with either a Roll Punch or Submission has by far improved my ability from just pure Wing Chun (albiet i dont feel i got as much out of my Wing Chun training as i would have liked, but thats a different thread)

To anyone (any style) with the blinkers on. I have to recommend cross training at least to a degree. Every style has a weakness (hence a reason why so many diff systems still exist today), and if your too stubborn to take up a new style on the side, you should at least have enough knowledge of other systems to recognise their techniques and strategy to learn how to counter them.

Totally agree.

Everytime I organise something like this, the James Sinclair guys steal all the sausages, the Alan Orr guys steal all the burgers and the Kamon guys steal all the beer. That is the real reason for the politics in wing chun...

On a serious note, I have always offered to get something going for a meet up between federations. The trouble is that for all the great bunch of guys you get down, you always get one who will insist that their style has something better to offer and will rub people up the wrong way

I've learnt over the years that it is silly to compare arts and styles - every style teaches something different. I have no problem with another martial arts style as long as it doesnt lie about what it does or make over the top claims ("the best street defence style in the world", etc)

I have trained under a few different schools and found some top quality/nice guys in the UK, let alone the rest of the world.

It is hard organising these kind of thinsg though - I have often tried to organise Kamon events and no one shows up much to my frustration

If you guys want to do something, I'll be there. I'm even popping over to the US next year to visit my bro.

Just dont invite the William Cheung guys lol

Latest Discussions

Back