What's wrong with American Kenpo?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Kenpo always 'American' or is that an offshoot from something else? if this is going to start an argument please keep your insults witty and not personal. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is Kenpo always 'American' or is that an offshoot from something else? if this is going to start an argument please keep your insults witty and not personal. :)
Kenpo means, Hands Of China, Like Qin-Po, or Chin-Po; and especially Kem-Po; so, it is essentially a way of saying that Kung Fu stuff from China. You study a variation yourself. Just put your styles name before the word Kenpo, and there ya go. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo means, Hands Of China, Like Qin-Po, or Chin-Po; and especially Kem-Po; so, it is essentially a way of saying that Kung Fu stuff from China. You study a variation yourself. Just put your styles name before the word Kenpo, and there ya go. :)
Before anyone freaks out, I means the Laws that govern the use of that kung-fu stuff from China. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this, nobody doubts it when a guy comes, on here, and says, he learned some bad Kenpo. o_O

Nobody doubts it when a person comes on here and says they learned some bad [insert name of any art here] either. Because bad teachers exist in every art.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly, ,
Kenpo is an actual Japanese word but it is also the common venacular used for the style with roots back to William chow. Therefore it is an American art since it was created by chow in Hawaii . But there are so many branches and organisation's it's crazy. To my knowledge one branch decided to call itself American kenpo.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also some branches refer to their organization as kempo which is a spelling of a verbal pronunciation in Japanese grammar.
To muddy the water even more there is an authentic style of okinawan kempo which is not related at all and I have heard of people calling their system American to distinguish between the two

Latest Discussions