What's the name of this kick ?

smartgig

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I've seen a kick (palchagi) in WTF trailer video.

Does anyone know its name ?
Video : (256kb) :

View Video

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well we call it a 540 kick. It is more of a demo or movie kick than anything else. It is not a practical kick at all. Well I guess if you got someone in front of you that gets confused by the spinning and just stands there, then it is a practical kick. I have seen it used once in a sparring match and landed but only once.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to call it a jump, 360 spinning hook.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We always called it a 540 hook kick. I remember throwing this kick in a tournament match once. I didn't score, but it was amusing to see the other fighter along with the referee stop and stare at me for a moment with a "what did you just do" look on their face. I didn't really intend to score in the first place. I was just kind of playing around and thought I'd sling it out there since I'd recently learned it.

That kick makes for a nice board break, especially if you can do two other kicks as your legs rotate around. That triple low, middle, high or middle, hig, higher break is impressive.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
540. This kind of full 540 is almost never used. If someone attempts a spin in order to do a 360 and stops mid way because of the change in the distance, and proceeds to throw a follow up kick, it may end up looking like a non-high jumping 540. Not practical in the form shown in the video, but can be incorporated for it is hard to foresee!

Latest Discussions