Whats required to get that Black Belt?

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was really young I missunderstood something. I thought a black belt had to kill a bull with one punch or strike for his test. I still think that would be an...interesting method to say the least. We'd have a lot fewer BBs that way. How's that for modern mysticism?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was really young I missunderstood something. I thought a black belt had to kill a bull with one punch or strike for his test. I still think that would be an...interesting method to say the least. We'd have a lot fewer BBs that way. How's that for modern mysticism?
This makes more sense to me than running and swimming for hours for your promotion.
icon7.gif

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Read this to day lets us know what you think.

This is roughly what was required to get a black belt with this one school!
Who thinks this is normal or over the top?

The grading is spread over 2 days.
Day 1: Start with a 12 mile run followed by a lack crossing/swim.
Next set of exercises 50 of each
then a run through of every belt grading.
2min session of people attacking while you block.

Day 2: Another 12 mile run then a run through of the 96 preset throws
the 50 exercises again.
and some sought of sparring session.
and if time anything else.

What I have down may be slightly wrong.

Both of my BB tests started the same way, with an emphasise on PTt but that was to get us past the breaking point by having us do everything from pushups and jumpingjacks to basics for the 1st hour. Not everyone can run 1 mile never mind 12. And what about the people that can't swim? After that, it was stations for testing on required material and sparring. The first test ended with a gauntlet where we had to fight our way through Black Belts going for degrees. The second test ended with line drills for kicking. There was no doubt that at the end, we'd earned the nelt we took home. And both tests were different in what was asked, my second test came down to doing a form selected at random to demonstrate our skill and the administrator wasn't interested in seeing a tournement style form either.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't swim :(

I know Martial Arts is tough but I wonder if someone has lost their perspective about what Martial Arts is.

Latest Discussions