Whats poppen

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Professor Random, Nov 15, 2017.

1. inkypaws

inkypaws White Belt

I have an old jaw injury from a car accident when I was young. It settled (but still not sitting in socket) after dealing with wisdom teeth issues in early twenties. I think I would rather wear that contraption to protect my jaw then wear a mouth guard. Not that far along in my training to have thought about it, so nice to know.

2. Professor Random

Professor Random Yellow Belt

Definitely not my first choice for a fight, but considering your position it might be the best choice. The only reason I really don't like it is because its hard to see your opponents feet (Which I rely heavily on) and it gets kinda foggy when you breath hard. But other then that you don't need a mouth guard and its pretty safe against punches to the throat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

We have gone to tournaments where face shields are mandatory for kids....my son hates the face shields.

Now that is the 1st thing we look at before we go. If they require face shields we go elsewhere.

And in regards to the mouthpiece if you double boil it and fit it correctly the mouthguard might not give you any problems.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Never sacrifice your jewels for a free point. The tournament just isn't worth it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kempodisciple

Just watched the first half...disclaimer: I do not practice TKD, or do any WTF-style competitions. Some of this may not apply.

Ignoring the differences that I think are stylistic, there are two things I would work on: Angles and combos. You seem to be fighting very linearly-you guys move around the map, but when you attack it's just directly head on, neither person seemed to be utilizing angles that much IMO. You also seem to either only throw one shot and wait, or throw a bunch of kicks in a row, without focusing on defense, or actually setting up kicks. It can be useful to throw one shot for a purpose of the second shot, and when you do 'rush', make sure you're still defending. Last thing you want is to rush and than get a nasty kick to the head while you're doing so.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng Sr. Grandmaster

Welcome to MT

7. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Unless you’re done having kids :)

Edit: Nah, still not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I’m so much slower at reacting when I watch my opponent’s feet. So are a lot of others I’ve asked. One very, very highly skilled karateka (William Oliver from Fighting Black Kings) said many times - (paraphrased) “if you watch my feet, I’ll kick you in the head before you can do anything about it.” My CI trained alongside Oliver many times. He had to spar him bare knuckle at the end of his 1st and 2nd dan tests. As great as Oliver was, he was reportedly an even better teacher. I’ll take his word for it.

And watching the feet is a great way to never see punches coming.

9. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Or in the same post, even.

10. Professor Random

Welp not many punches in any fight I been in recently, But thats not saying they're not coming in the near future.

11. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Have you considered a custom made mouthpiece from a dentist? I just got fitted for one yesterday. It’ll cost $80 when it comes in. It’ll probably fit you far better than a store bought one. Most decent ones I’ve seen in stores at around the $30 mark, so while $80 is almost triple that amount, it’s not an absurd price if it fits well.

My problem with bite and boil guards is they never cover the farthest back molars. I caught a hook kick in the jaw a few weeks ago, and my back teeth grinded despite having my mouthpiece in and my mouth shut. It wasn’t too bad nor too hard of a kick, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

12. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

MA/TKD “fight” or actual fight? Most people on the streets aren’t going to throw very many kicks.

13. Professor Random

I don't plan in getting in any street fights as my teacher discourages it. So mainly tkd fighting.

14. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Most people don’t plan on getting into fights. But plans have a funny way of backfiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kempodisciple

This puts on a new spin on the quote "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I was thinking the same thing after I posted it and read it.

• Like Like x 1