Standard membership: 40
Family 2nd member: 30
Family 3rd member: 20

Premium membership gives 3 classes per week + 2 one hour privates per month
Premium membership: 50 + annual fee

Corporate rates:
Standard membership minus 10%

does this seem out of line?

Looks a little low but maybe in your area that is what the market can bear right now, By the way best of luck with the opening.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terry,
yeah, it is low, but for now, in my own place, i dont have to pay rent, so I can afford it. Plus, times are tough in East Texas.

Thanks, i will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know a guy who lives in the SF Bay Area and pays (Sit down) $300 per month for group lessons.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
remember to pay yourself. No matter how good things look, now thngs can go wrong, students come and go regardless of how good your teachings are; no matter how much you love the art, there is a price you pay to your teacher and the price of time; gas; training; and the responsiblity of running a school and dealing with all the personalities... There are few things i love more than teaching, but i almost had to close at one point because i did not take care of the financial side...(it would have been the dedicated students who would have suffered from my failure..not me i can always keep training)...this means after costs you must pay yourself. Besides your worth it, no? Just as your teacher is worth it...

marlon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry,
yeah, it is low, but for now, in my own place, i dont have to pay rent, so I can afford it. Plus, times are tough in East Texas.

Thanks, i will be sure to let you know how it goes.

I understand TF, I am considering lowering mine to bring in more students as well, the DFW area is bad too.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Words could not have been spoken, the second prior post hit it right on. I have been doing this since the late 70's and didn't have a clue how important it was to think of the financial role the we must partake in.
Koodo's!

Bob Quinn

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I charge 100 per student per month with no family discounts. The truth be it the square footage doesn't allow for discouts on the rent. Meaning you have to pay the same whether it be one student or another. once I applied that thinking, I was able to purchase my building.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I charge 100 per student per month with no family discounts. The truth be it the square footage doesn't allow for discouts on the rent. Meaning you have to pay the same whether it be one student or another. once I applied that thinking, I was able to purchase my building.

Excellent point. spmetimes student forget we have bills to pay. Without that the school closes down.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the best way to look at the charging for lessons theory is easy. The next time you go to have your brakes fixed tell the the repair man you only want them to do a have price job. Next time you go to have a dinner at your local eatery, tell them you only want to pay for the half the meal. Next time you go to the doctor , tell the doc you only want to pay for half his service, you'll get half the job! We change lifes, we motivate the unmotivated. We are in the front line to getting back our youth!

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a school in Atlanta,and that gives me many differant clients. I had a student, which happens to be a very prominant doctor. After class he told me.Mr.Quinn you are like a doc! You dispense information that could safe lives, just like a doctor would dispense advise and meds to safe lives. Wow what a thought and concept!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
people HAVE to eat, they HAVE to go to the doctor

no one HAS to take martial art lessons.

It doesnt matter what you think you are worth. You are only worth what your potential customers can afford to pay or are willing to pay.

be that high or low.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
excellent point TX. we are in the dispenseable form of entertaiment for the family. Soccer is free,t-ball is free,the local park and rec is cheaper class rates. You get what you pay for in life. I look at what we do as an investment in the future for our youth. I do help alot of families in need. Families that are in financial trouble to get scholarships at my school. When I started with Lee, I paid 27. a month for 2 times a week in a beat up building. I don't think he was thinking that he wanted to stay in that location forever. The core of what we aretaught and get from our teaching is humilty and honesty, with that comes prosperity.
Keep comunicating the subject and we see where it goes.
Peace!
BQ

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob,
everything you have said is all true. A good instructor has to wear many, many hats.

We are part life coach, personal trainer, priest, motivator, etc

we change lives, we SAVE lives. We make better people.

And yeah, it is a business, we have to pay the bills to keep the door open.

it is a most delicate balance we have to maintain.And a very hard JOB sometimes

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some instructor go to the deep dark side of greed and forget what got them to where they are. We make money, money does'nt make us. keep the faith.

BQ

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For one thing, you don't want to overcharge. While some folks in some of the more posh areas of California may be able to command $250 / month from each student, that's not going to work for most places. You have to look at things, such as the median income, as well as the disposition of the people, for the area.

However, at the same time, you don't want to undercharge. One of the biggest problems is that some folks want to be the lowest priced person in town. While that's a very noble thing, it also might not pay for the lights, water, rent, etc.

Equally important, though, is how much of a value do your clients perceive you to offer? If they believe that you are offering a service that's worth a lot more than what they're paying, then the only person losing out on things would be you.

As sad as it sounds, I've seen excellent teachers have problems keeping a dojo's numbers up, because they weren't charging enough (say, $35 / mo). At the same time, I've seen some truly awful (in terms of skill) teachers keep their dojos packed with students, yet they were charging three times as much as the other guy was charging.

What really irked me, was that the expensive guy kept alluding to his school as the "Cadillac" of the martial arts schools in the area, while putting down the other guy, calling him the "Yugo" of the schools. While that was hardly the case, a lot of times, unfortunately, people will believe this.

Of course, it's not just solely about price. Nobody is going to want to go to a decrepit, rotting building where there are cockroaches on the floor that scurry all over you while you're trying to meditate! However, most folks here want to maintain at least a decent dojo, I'd imagine.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well after researching the whole metroplex area of DFW I found 763 Tae Kwon Do school out of that the average cost per person is 135.00 per month for only three days a week. Belt testing fee's are roughly $60.00 and a BB test average a meer $790.00. If I could only get that then I would be making on a average of $8000.00 a month profit, man that would be great.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For one thing, you don't want to overcharge. While some folks in some of the more posh areas of California may be able to command $250 / month from each student, that's not going to work for most places. You have to look at things, such as the median income, as well as the disposition of the people, for the area.

However, at the same time, you don't want to undercharge. One of the biggest problems is that some folks want to be the lowest priced person in town. While that's a very noble thing, it also might not pay for the lights, water, rent, etc.

Equally important, though, is how much of a value do your clients perceive you to offer? If they believe that you are offering a service that's worth a lot more than what they're paying, then the only person losing out on things would be you.

As sad as it sounds, I've seen excellent teachers have problems keeping a dojo's numbers up, because they weren't charging enough (say, $35 / mo). At the same time, I've seen some truly awful (in terms of skill) teachers keep their dojos packed with students, yet they were charging three times as much as the other guy was charging.

What really irked me, was that the expensive guy kept alluding to his school as the "Cadillac" of the martial arts schools in the area, while putting down the other guy, calling him the "Yugo" of the schools. While that was hardly the case, a lot of times, unfortunately, people will believe this.

Of course, it's not just solely about price. Nobody is going to want to go to a decrepit, rotting building where there are cockroaches on the floor that scurry all over you while you're trying to meditate! However, most folks here want to maintain at least a decent dojo, I'd imagine.
This is actually a good point, though primarily for commercial schools.

The "right" price to charge has to balance being high enough to convey "quality", low enough to be affordable, and still cover the costs (with some profit!)...

Just one more reason I don't teach professionally...

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
HOLY JAMA LAMA

I am not sure what part of that freaks me out more, that there are over 700 TKD schools in the metroplex of what they are charging....

Well after researching the whole metroplex area of DFW I found 763 Tae Kwon Do school out of that the average cost per person is 135.00 per month for only three days a week. Belt testing fee's are roughly $60.00 and a BB test average a meer $790.00. If I could only get that then I would be making on a average of $8000.00 a month profit, man that would be great.

Latest Discussions