What you charge for classes

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thinking of opening a dojo soon want to know what people charge per month I was thinking 85 cause all the schools in the area are around 100 bucks per month

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good, currently I average 47.50 per student full time 6 days a week, but then I have 27 that do not pay we support them. We mormanly charge 65.00 a month but moving to a bigger space more room 7660 square feet and a wieght room so we are going up to 75.00 a month still below the 125.00 average for my area.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
k cause i want to be cheaper moving in to the area it is funny i was driving by this place and was like this is a good place for a dojo turns out it was for 8 years they moved out because they out grew the place 2 years ago and be vancent since then now they moved 5 miles aways so if i open it will not hurt them plus i dont know them and Burger King and wendys can both be open same with Right Aid And Cvs why not 2 karate schools

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
k cause i want to be cheaper moving in to the area it is funny i was driving by this place and was like this is a good place for a dojo turns out it was for 8 years they moved out because they out grew the place 2 years ago and be vancent since then now they moved 5 miles aways so if i open it will not hurt them plus i dont know them and Burger King and wendys can both be open same with Right Aid And Cvs why not 2 karate schools

I agree set up shop and start training people it is a great way of life, enjoy.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea the reason is I been in martial arts 10 years this fall just hosted my first tournament last weekend with over 500 people there. Now I always been teaching for other people but still there rules and there profit and at times no money, but my dream of being a cop been put on hold so I am 22 and will get a 1 year lease and see how it goes plus can go to college in the fall and get the 20 hrs i need for my degree.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea the reason is I been in martial arts 10 years this fall just hosted my first tournament last weekend with over 500 people there. Now I always been teaching for other people but still there rules and there profit and at times no money, but my dream of being a cop been put on hold so I am 22 and will get a 1 year lease and see how it goes plus can go to college in the fall and get the 20 hrs i need for my degree.

Sounds like agreat plan I wish you the very best, keep us posted.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of opening a dojo soon want to know what people charge per month I was thinking 85 cause all the schools in the area are around 100 bucks per month

Adam all the schools in Gaylord are charging around $100 per month? I am a little surprised.

Now as to what you choose to charge. I think you should determine what the value of what you teach is and then you should have an idea. (then figure out your expenses and if you can make it work) Good luck and I am sure you will do fine!
icon6.gif

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No my master is in gaylord he charges 65 a month and 3 other dojos I moved back to warren thinking opening in Oakland County for 100 a month

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, there are two schools of thought on this.

1. decide what you think you are worth

2. decide what the market can bare

I advocate the second theory.

primarily because IN BUSINESS, it doesnt matter what you THINK you are worth, what matters is what people are willing to pay.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, there are two schools of thought on this.

1. decide what you think you are worth

2. decide what the market can bare

I advocate the second theory.

primarily because IN BUSINESS, it doesnt matter what you THINK you are worth, what matters is what people are willing to pay.

This is true, for my tenue I should be getting $150.00 per student but my area would not support this so we do what we can to keep the doors opened.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly right.

I am starting up a small garage dojo. Should be ready to hold classes in it bymiddle to end of next month. Thats why i have so many recent posts in this section of the forums..LOL

The very first thing I did when i was thinking about how much I should charge was to find a single mother in the area and ask her what she could pay. That way, I know if I price my classes so SHE can afford it, so can everyone else I am likely to run into.

With my experience, I THINK my lessons are worth $100 month EASY. But in the small town I live in, MAYBE 2% of the population could afford that. I would be killing myself to charge that much

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I haven't kept up with other schools in our area lately. I didn't realize the average was up to $125/month. Wow!

Sounds good, currently I average 47.50 per student full time 6 days a week, but then I have 27 that do not pay we support them. We mormanly charge 65.00 a month but moving to a bigger space more room 7660 square feet and a wieght room so we are going up to 75.00 a month still below the 125.00 average for my area.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I haven't kept up with other schools in our area lately. I didn't realize the average was up to $125/month. Wow!

Yes sir that is what they are getting, some people are mad because I do not raise my prices but I do not care. How have you been Sir?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at a Y, and they set the prices... and do the collections, as well. It works for me!

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I charge kids under 16 $50.00 a month I charge adults $60.00 a month. I just went up to $60.00 for kids and $75.00 for adults.
But I did not change the price of the students who are training.

I charge $30.00 for a private class for 1 hr time. or I do a package deal
You pay me $200.00 up front and you get 10 private class. But you must use them In 1 years time. Mostly the students use them up 1 a week. so after 10 weeks they buy more. It works out really well for all.

Kosho

Jim Greenwood

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All kids classes $50 a month with class twice a week and the adults I charge $60 a month for a 2 hour class once a week. I charge $35 a 1/2 hour for private lessons and if they do 4 privates a month all their group classes are free. Each additional family member is 1/2 price for any classes or any age. Many people do the private lesson deal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're currently charging about $40 a month, with a $50 family max (2 or more related students, like brothers or parent/child).

One main class each week, any number of options for other sessions by mutual arrangement with an instructor. An occasional clinic may have additional fees to cover its costs.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is my pricing list so far:
Standard member ship gives 2 one hour classes per week

Standard membership: 40
Family 2nd member: 30
Family 3rd member: 20

Premium membership gives 3 classes per week + 2 one hour privates per month
Premium membership: 50 + annual fee

Corporate rates:
Standard membership minus 10%