What to expect

B

Bakufu

Hi folks,

I am hoping to start Bujinkan classes next week, and was wanting to get some general information from you folks who have been practicing the art for a while.

Having no background with Martial Arts, what should I expect from my first few training sessions ?

What are some good tips and "lessons learned" that you folks who have done this for a while wish you had known (or quickly learned) when you were just starting out in Bujinkan ?

Thanks for your time.

OP
P

Peter Steeves

When I first moved to Japan, I asked my teacher (Manaka Sensei), "which muscles should I strengthen the most to get better faster?" To which he replied, "Flexibility is more important" So, my advice is to stretch a lot (it helped me a ton).

As already said, Move Your Feet - but try to move in a smooth way as soon as possible. Jerking around in a rush won't get you where you want to go. Take your time, move calmly. Ask your partner to attack at a pace you can do well. Practice moving well - that's the reason to train. Never train yourself to do "something kinda almost like it looks sorta similar to what you think happened."

Keep your hips down. Bend your knees.

Oh, and breathe!:rolleyes:

Welcome to training - you'll enjoy it more than you can know.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bakufu, welcome to the board...

:)

Being a reletive "beginner" myself, I would say expect to be confused a lot... be prepared to ask questions, rather than assuming somthing... like Peter said:
Never train yourself to do "something kinda almost like it looks sorta similar to what you think happened."
but ask your instructor instead!

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Go in there with the attitude to be a student and learn. A belt is something that holds up your pants, dont focus on that either. When and if you make it to the yudansha (black belt levels) Go in there with the attitude to learn, again dont foucus on the belt levels. When and if you become a teacher with people that come in there with the same expectations you have now, remember that, and go in there with the attitude to learn, you are still a student. Nuff said.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm still learning the basics myself, and it seems to me that not being afraid to ask questions is vitally important. I don't think I learn as fast as most people, so I have to look at things from multiple points of view before I can begin to understand something.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Expect...the unexpected.

Beware of things that you think you recognize and can do. Question yourself. You may think you are doing something correctly, but are not. So don't assume that your stance is correct, etc. Actively try to compare what you do with the teacher. Just because you don't see a problem does not mean it is not there.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, big time. I've gotten so used to thinking that I've grasped something and then realized later that I haven't, that now I just automatically assume that I've failed miserably. :D

Latest Discussions