What the Democrats really think of the troops

You guys forgot my personal favorite!

"The problem with the French is they don't have a word for entrepeneur."

President George W. Bush

Because they didn't believe the battle cry of "The sky is falling!" er.... "Weapons of mass destruction!" :idunno:

In reality, the whole "weapons of mass destruction" was a facade.

George W. Bush is an insipid puppet. The people within his administration --- including Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, John Bolton, and others --- are all signatories for a neo-Reaganite thinktank that calls itself Project For The New American Century (PNAC). The stated goal of the PNAC is to create and maintain what they call a "Pax Americana" by dramatically increasing military spending and the military expansionism of the United States throughout the world.

Iraq was just a staging ground in the minds of these people. The actual rationale or reasoning for invading Iraq is irrelevant, as the PNAC has written documents declaring an intention to militarily occupy Iraq as far back as 1997 (actually, a letter from some of the signatories to the Israeli government in 1992 suggests a join effort to occupy Iraq). Their purpose for being in Iraq is as a sort of regional "base of operations" to secure the entire Middle East under American leadership.

This has nothing to do with terrorism, 9/11, WMD's, "spreading democracy", or anything else like that. The people in the Bush Administration have wanted to occupy Iraq for well over a decade. It has everything to do with military imperialism.

May your choices be good ones on November 7th.

The whole build-up to the war would have made a great Abbott and Costello sketch with Abbott as Bush and Costello as a reporter.

Abbott: OK, now because of these terrorist attacks, we're going to invade Iraq.
Costello: But, I thought the terrorists were mostly Saudis.
A: Nonsense, Saudi Arabia is our ally. The terrorists were members of <cue evil music> al-Qaeda.
C: But isn't the leader of al-Qaeda hiding in Afghanistan?
A: Yes, but we're already bombing them. We have <cue dramatic music>intelligence indicating that Saddam Hussein is closely tied to al-Qaeda.
C: Hussein?
A: Yes.
C: Hussein what?
A: The leader of Iraq.
C: Who's the leader of Iraq?
*fade*

Given your very low opinion of Bush, I'm surprised you don't hold Kerry to a higher standard than Bush.

President Bush can be held to a higher standard, because he is 1 of 1. Whereas Senator Kerry is 1 of 100. President Bush is responsible for much more than Senator Kerry.

And, I, like most Americans, I think, am a pretty forgiving guy. The guy screwed up. He clarified what he meant. And moved forward. Certainly, there has to be a measure of respect for that.

How about President Bush and his "Stay The Course" ... "We've Never Been Stay The Course" ....Has he clarified what he meant there, yet?

Are we on course, or off course, in Iraq?

So now the story is it was meant as a joke. Why didn't Sen. Kerry Just say that right away (and if he did, I missed it).

When it comes down to it, I think everyone supports our troops. It would be political suicide to bad-mouth the military.

What I see here is the Kerry stuck his foot in his mouth. The Democratic party didn't issue a statement to this effect, so I think the title of the thread is wrong. God help me I thought I would never come to the defense of the Dems. but that is like saying everything that comes out of Bush's mouth is the gospel of the Republicans. Everybody says stupid things once in a while, the difference is that we don't have cameras stuck in our faces when we do(thank God.) If Kerry has issued a apology or statement to clear it up, then we need to look at the real issues and stands the 7th. Do I like Kerry, not really, but then again I don't really care for Junior who is in office right now either.

It WAS meant as a joke. If you actually listened to the recordings of the speech, he said it in a joking manner, and the audience laughed. When I heard the speech, I understood that he was joking about the president getting us stuck in Iraq, not that he was insulting the troops. I laughed, too. It was a stupid un-necessary comment, and he mis-spoke. But if you heard the few sentences before the statement and after, it was clear what he was referring to. The media chose to portray it differently, because it's briefer, easier, and got a rise out of people.

What's really disturbing is that 100 Americans died in October in Iraq. An American soldier was kidnapped in Baghdad, and the Iraqi Prime Minister ordered US forces to abandon the roadblocks they had set up to help find the soldier. Now our troops are taking orders from...who??? The Shi'a? That's what should be on the news.

Wow, I have been a democrat for all of my voting age. I have been voting since the Clinton era. I have a relative that is the former secretary of state for the state of Missouri, under the umbrealla of the Democratic party.

By the way, I have been in combat on 3 continents and one island. I am here to tell you I was happy to be in the Marine Corps during the Clinton era, I left active duty a Sergeant. I must have done ok considering most of the military was nothing but cutbacks, frozen promotion fields and base closings. I will tell you that under no circumstance would I have joined under the current administration.

It seems like the Republican war machine is at work in full force, take snipits...put them in a light so people think of them in the uncorrect context and rely on getting votes off sound bites etc.

A lot of people, especially those who never wore an active duty uniform confuse supporting a war and supporting the troops. However, it is patriotic to illegally invade a country on false pretense and then pardon yourself of war crimes under a bill that you yourself sign off on.

The Democratic party has always been for a greater society where people had the help they need and a greater quality of life.

I know in Missouri that Talent went against better, more reinforced body armor for the troops. Bush and his folks have made cuts to V.A. funding for those of us that got banged up really good. It is ridiculous. I have friends that I went to boot camp with that are still on active duty. They all have absolutely nothing for the Republican party. People that are serving know more than the general public about foreign policy and its consequences.

That is a huge problem that we Americans are generally bad at....making decisions off snipits of information and no research to follow through with decision making.

I hate all the political slander, however I guess that is the name of the game.

That's exaclty it. The major news media won't be carrying this quote anytime soon.

I wonder if Kerry came up with that retort, or if someone wrote it for him...

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611010009

Broadcast networks all led with Kerry's "botched joke," entirely ignored Bush's statement that a Democratic victory means "terrorists win and America loses"

Speaking during a campaign appearance in Statesboro, Georgia, as noted on the weblog Talking Points Memo, Bush said, "However they put it, the Democrat [sic] approach in Iraq comes down to this: The terrorists win and America loses." The statement received no coverage on the October 30 and 31 broadcasts of the network news programs, yet what Kerry admitted was a mangled joke was the lead-off story for all three networks on October 31.

I suppose, I could start a new thread with the Title ... 'What the President really thinks of his constituents' ... .eh?

I'm so glad he's a United and Not a Divider ...

What action might he take if he were the reverse?

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611010009

Broadcast networks all led with Kerry's "botched joke," entirely ignored Bush's statement that a Democratic victory means "terrorists win and America loses"

I suppose, I could start a new thread with the Title ... 'What the President really thinks of his constituents' ... .eh?

I'm so glad he's a United and Not a Divider ...

What action might he take if he were the reverse?

It appears that at least two entities agree with this assessment: Iran and Syria. Taranto posted this analysis of an AP article yesterday:

The Arabs and the Midterms

"Arab governments are looking for change in U.S. policy in the Middle East after the midterm elections," the Associated Press reports:
One thing they hope for is that a politically weakened President Bush would talk with Iran and Syria. They also hope he would show greater interest in the Palestinians and find a way out of the crisis in Iraq.​
So if you want a politically weakened president cutting deals with terror-sponsoring dictatorships, vote Democratic on Nov. 7.

The only reason this made news was because it became a tit for tat, hair pulling cat fight.

Given the audience, yet another University, where young minds go who probably have no intention of joining the Armed Forces, or a few of them already did, his comment seemed quite directed and intended. I'm sure it drew quite an applause, after the laughter.

He didn't immeditately correct himself.
He didn't immediately appologize.
Maybe some psych weanie could say, "Freudian slip"?

No-one cared unless they were a Republican or actually respected the Military. I heard while everyone was laughing, he let out a giant Howard Dean YYEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

The only reason this made news was because it became a tit for tat, hair pulling cat fight.

Given the audience, yet another University, where young minds go who probably have no intention of joining the Armed Forces, or a few of them already did, his comment seemed quite directed and intended. I'm sure it drew quite an applause, after the laughter.

He didn't immeditately correct himself.
He didn't immediately appologize.
Maybe some psych weanie could say, "Freudian slip"?

No-one cared unless they were a Republican or actually respected the Military. I heard while everyone was laughing, he let out a giant Howard Dean YYEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Oh, please.

The ****ing President has accused me of wanting the terrorists to win. And he wasn't joking. And he hasn't apologized.

How about this ....

Soldiers who died because of Senator Kerrys botched Joke = 0

Soldiers who died because of President Bush's "Those Weapons Of Mass Destruction have to be around here, somewhere" joke = 2,814

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/WhoShouldApologize.wmv

EDIT ---

By the way, I have I mentioned that our Commander in Chief has allowed our military to abandon a missing soldier behind enemy lines at the request of a foreign government. The US Military search for US Service member al-Taei has been withdrawn at the request of Iraq Prime Minister al-Maliki. .... WTF ????

END EDIT

Your numbers are wrong. Nobody dies from someone telling a joke. I'm sure you've heard that old sticks and stones line...being a Democrat tormented by the President of the United States and all.

Then again, nobody ever died from being called a baby-killer either, so that must be OK in the Democrat playbook too.

So now the story is it was meant as a joke. Why didn't Sen. Kerry Just say that right away (and if he did, I missed it).

When it comes down to it, I think everyone supports our troops. It would be political suicide to bad-mouth the military.
You missed it because they didn't include the first jest about the president which would put this in context; you have only heared the second part of a two part joke. Its all quite shameless on the part of the conservatives.
Sean

This probably won't be popular...but...maybe John Kerry was right...joke or not. Perhaps the current design of the American Military Industrial Congressional Complex is that it does just what Mr. Kerry suggested. That would indicate why many people found it funny. Irony is like that. A quick look at the demographics of the military would answer this little query.

Edit - I place this link as Exhibit A for this case...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40946

Economic opportunity and education go hand in hand and the lack there of isn't always limited to the poor.

This is where the military comes in...

Anyway, back to arguing what we think that Mr. Kerry meant...

This probably won't be popular...but...maybe John Kerry was right...joke or not. Perhaps the current design of the American Military Industrial Congressional Complex is that it does just what Mr. Kerry suggested. That would indicate why many people found it funny. Irony is like that. A quick look at the demographics of the military would answer this little query.

Edit - I place this link as Exhibit A for this case...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40946

Economic opportunity and education go hand in hand and the lack there of isn't always limited to the poor.

This is where the military comes in...

Anyway, back to arguing what we think that Mr. Kerry meant...

Kerry was making a dumb joke about a dumb president in a dumb manner and then botched it so it sounded like he was talking about our troops being dumb. it's all dumb. the republicans hatchet patrol is making the most of it cause that's what they do well, in fact, it's the only thing they do well. the Big Dick Cheney is about to be let off the chains so he can tear some flesh out of this cause it's all he's ever done well.

but if folks are so dumb that some dumb joke badly told by some guy who isn't even running for office is so darn important that they'd let it effect how they vote then all i can say is... dum dum dum dum dum.

peace.

You missed it because they didn't include the first jest about the president which would put this in context; you have only heared the second part of a two part joke. Its all quite shameless on the part of the conservatives.
Sean

Yes, but why wouldn't Kerry's camp push that out to the press more (I am asking this a a "curious" question). I personally do not think he meant any disrespect.

Yes, but why wouldn't Kerry's camp push that out to the press more (I am asking this a a "curious" question). I personally do not think he meant any disrespect.

My thoughts on this are that the press wasn't buying.

From the time of my first post on this thread, there was ample evidence on various blogs what was said, what was supposed to have been said and the Senator's reaction.

That hasn't stopped the media from playing Tony Snow's demand for an apology some 15 times during a White House press brief.

It was a gaffe ... but, the 'Liberal Media' sure didn't play it as such, did it? I wonder what that means. Hell, even John Stewart bypassed the important news from earlier this week, to vamp for 8 minutes on this.

It's deja vu all over again, isn't it?

Must not focus on Iraq. Must not focus on Iraq.

I wonder what the troops thought he meant...

Attachments

• $kerry.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 122

Latest Discussions

Back