What should cops do with disabled vehicles?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of recent incidents brought this to mind, and I thought it might get some discussion going...

I'll start by describing the situations...

First one -- driver runs out of gas. It's oh-dark-thirty, and they died pulling into a closed gas station. So... end up transporting the driver a mile or two down the road to get gas. Get them back, and now the battery is dead. So... we've got a jump pack, and I get them going. (Driver was also very lost and very clueless...)

Second -- early evening, again, out of gas. Some good Samaritans rolled them off the main road, and, again, I end up running the driver up for gas and bringing 'em back to the car.

In the past, I've changed tires, pushed plenty of cars, and called plenty of wreckers.

How much help do you give a disabled motorist? What influences your decision? In both of these cases, call volume was very slow, so I had time. Weather was less than ideal for a stroll. Neither could rely on calling someone for help in a reasonable time. And -- yeah, both happened to be females in their early to mid 20s.

My general guide for something like that is simple: Within GOs and good safety for both me and the driver, what would I want someone to do for my wife/mother/sister-in-law? If we're slammed -- I may just call 'em a wrecker.

For cops -- what do you do? For the public -- what do you expect of cops? How should a cop make their decision? Should gender figure into it? Race? (A white suburban kid in the wrong part of DC, or many other cities, might as well just be labeled "dinner", y'know.)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I work, the officers do not assist in changing any tires. 9 timesout of 10, they'll call for a tow truck. Sometimes they'll help get the car off the road to a safer location. There have been times when they've given people rides home, etc.

What do I expect? Nothing more than helping to get the car to a safe location, if possible, call for a tow, if needed. There have been numerous accidents, some fatal, especially on the highway, involving cars that have hit the back end of the police car, obviously not paying attention to what they're doing. I dont feel they ( the officer) should put his/her life in any more jeopardy, by trying to change my tire for me.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For cops -- what do you do? For the public -- what do you expect of cops? How should a cop make their decision? Should gender figure into it? Race? (A white suburban kid in the wrong part of DC, or many other cities, might as well just be labeled "dinner", y'know.)

The only thing I'd expect, is for the cop to check on it, make sure its not something shady going down, and if I can't summon assistance myself, maybe to call a tow truck for me, or provide me the number for one local if I am not from the area.

Best case scenario I ever had was for a cop to actually help me push my vehicle which was stuck in the snow back onto the road so I could get going again, worst case was a cop who saw me walking my bike down the street when I ran outta gas who drove alongside me and taunted me because it wasn't a Harley for a block or so before he drove off.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have towed immediately if traffic was heavy. I have set-up flares and left them on occasion. I have pushed cars off road and into parking lots and assisted in calling roadside assistance and I have made the gas trip or two. It's all really depended on call volume, traffic volume and the ability to get a person off road where they could call for their own help. Of course a quick assessment of the persons ability to deal with the situation enters into the equation too. I don't want to leave someone clueless to fend for themselves.

This after running the car and owner first though..in god we trust and all. ;)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have towed immediately if traffic was heavy. I have set-up flares and left them on occasion. I have pushed cars off road and into parking lots and assisted in calling roadside assistance and I have made the gas trip or two. It's all really depended on call volume, traffic volume and the ability to get a person off road where they could call for their own help. Of course a quick assessment of the persons ability to deal with the situation enters into the equation too. I don't want to leave someone clueless to fend for themselves.

This after running the car and owner first though..in god we trust and all. ;)
Helplessness is another factor in the equation, most definitely. Let's just say that I'm really concerned about parents letting their children reach driving age with utter inability to do basic vehicle things like change tires or figure out what to do when they run out of gas. I had to finally put my foot down with one woman on a crash scene recently because she was utterly incapable of doing anything without asking her husband -- not even give me the damn registration card. And the husband -- who had come to the crash scene -- was too busy on the phone with the insurance company to deal with things... Yeah -- that didn't last all that long!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here in Tennessee we have medium sized yellow trucks that cruise around the highways (usually near large population areas) and if you know the number then you can call and get that "road-side" assistance... dunno if there's a charge to it.
They're usually around also during fender-benders (especially around rush-hours leading in/out of the larger cities)...

As a citizen I expect police to at least (if they're just cruising around ) pull over and check to see whuzzup? No, they don't need to help change tires but at least assess the situation and if the person is hapless then call a wrecker or the yellow Incident vehicle (trying to remember the names of those things). If they're busy, or enroute to someplace then at least get on the horn and call it in.

Abandoned vehicles (i.e. driver gets out to walk to nearest gas-station) well, my expectation is probably their SOP... if the vehicle is still there by the same time next day then check it out.

With the cell phones ... NOBODY has an excuse (except for those who do not own a cell) to not call for assistance, be it professional or friend/family.
I see people pulled over all the time usually I pass them by unless my eye catches something that throws up a red-flag... if I have my cell with me then I'm on the horn to 911 and make note of the next mile marker... (on the interstates).

I posted a while back about how I had nearly broad-sided a guy who spun out and was trying to push his truck off the freeway in the pouring rain. I manage to pull-over and stop before slamming into him and got out and helped him push his truck onto the shoulder... got back in my jeep and drove to my exit ... spotted a cop and got his attention and told him about it, then went on my way.

It is important I think for motorists to realize that the LEO's/Troopers are also out there to help and not just give tickets on everyone that drives over the limit. It's a job I wouldn't mind much doing but with my *ahem* record I don't stand a chance in hell in getting hired for it.

Latest Discussions