What recovery/wellness options does everyone use?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently discovered this. I take 200mg daily because my doctor said it's good for me. That, a multivitamin, and magnesium (helps sleep)

Costs about $50 a bottle where I live though.

I cook a lot of fish, so don't need the fish oil pill stuff, but I do keep a bottle handy just in case I run out of fresh fish.

Generally, I'm at the stage in my life where I'm really trying to move away from red meat and high cholesterol foods. Which is hard, because they are delicious and I cook a mean steak.

Made ribeye shaved cheese steaks tonight, guilty pleasure of mine. So I'll punish myself with salmon, trout, scallops, and swordfish the rest of the week (never cook these indoors...).

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered this. I take 200mg daily because my doctor said it's good for me. That, a multivitamin, and magnesium (helps sleep)

Costs about $50 a bottle where I live though.
Yes it is expensive, but CoQ10 is catalyst for several biochemical pathways and itā€™s production declines with age. Statins, which many older people need to take, have been shown to reduce CoQ10 even further. Have a look around online to see if you can find slightly cheaper offers and perhaps take 200mg (a higher dose. There is no certain RDA) every other day.
I cook a lot of fish, so don't need the fish oil pill stuff, but I do keep a bottle handy just in case I run out of fresh fish.
It has to be oceanic fish, by the way, not river fish. The Omega 3 comes from algae, which the oceanic fish eat and concentrate in their tissues.
Generally, I'm at the stage in my life where I'm really trying to move away from red meat and high cholesterol foods. Which is hard, because they are delicious and I cook a mean steak.
I think one has to make these sorts of choices at points in your life. I, for example, chose to do some unhealthy things because I enjoy them in what is a joyless life, but accept Iā€™ll live a shorter life with the prospect of a painful demise!
Made ribeye shaved cheese steaks tonight, guilty pleasure of mine. So I'll punish myself with salmon, trout, scallops, and swordfish the rest of the week (never cook these indoors...).
There was some Hollywood actor (of whom Iā€™d never heard) on a talk show over here. Heā€™d been ill and receiving treatment for mercury poisoning. Heā€™d heard oily oceanic fish is really good for you, so as part of his health kick he was eating it 2-3 times per day. Mercury is a cumulative heavy metal (šŸ¤ŸšŸ½) and our oceans are filled with filth so be careful.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it is expensive, but CoQ10 is catalyst for several biochemical pathways and itā€™s production declines with age. Statins, which many older people need to take, have been shown to reduce CoQ10 even further. Have a look around online to see if you can find slightly cheaper offers and perhaps take 200mg (a higher dose. There is no certain RDA) every other day.

It has to be oceanic fish, by the way, not river fish. The Omega 3 comes from algae, which the oceanic fish eat and concentrate in their tissues.

I think one has to make these sorts of choices at points in your life. I, for example, chose to do some unhealthy things because I enjoy them in what is a joyless life, but accept Iā€™ll live a shorter life with the prospect of a painful demise!

There was some Hollywood actor (of whom Iā€™d never heard) on a talk show over here. Heā€™d been ill and receiving treatment for mercury poisoning. Heā€™d heard oily oceanic fish is really good for you, so as part of his health kick he was eating it 2-3 times per day. Mercury is a cumulative heavy metal (šŸ¤ŸšŸ½) and our oceans are filled with filth so be careful.
Salmon, and certain trout are anadromous. They also contain omega3. They eat the krill and fish that eat the plankton.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also, larger predatory fish like swordfish and tuna live longer and collect more mercury than short lived species like salmon and anchovies. Most salmon live a 3-5 year span depending on the run.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salmon, and certain trout are anadromous. They also contain omega3. They eat the krill and fish that eat the plankton.
Is that because of salmonā€™s oceanic phase as grilse?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, larger predatory fish like swordfish and tuna live longer and collect more mercury than short lived species like salmon and anchovies. Most salmon live a 3-5 year span depending on the run.
The excellent documentary ā€˜The Coveā€™ was a real eye opener on this. Do watch it on Netflix, especially if you like dolphins šŸ¬

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recovery for me is eat health, get Healthy sleep, and manage stress. That last part is probably more difficult because it's an "always on" effort. If the body and mind are stressed then all of the healthy eating and good sleep won't help much.

I try to go to sleep in positive mindset and wake up with 2 hours of no stress. Some people complain as the first thing they great you with in the morning. I try to have 2 hours of peace before I have to deal with stressful things.

I purchased some new gaming speakers that sync light with the audio. Logitech G560 Lightsync. I used it last night while listening to thunderstorm audio. I turn my back to the lights and watched a dim blue light randomly flash across the room. This will be my new thing since it stopped my mind from racing.

The other thing I'll be doing more of is seeing my other doctor who fixed my knees. When my body feels broken I will see him to help speed up the recovery. Last thing he fixed was my back. The best think is that he didn't do anything with my spine. He fixed the source. But I have fix the rest to make it more of a permanent fix. Muscle imbalance pulls everything out of alignment.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that because of salmonā€™s oceanic phase as grilse?
I can tell you that here where I live, late spring run salmon taste better and have more red and more oil because of the massive amount of krill here at that time. They will eat so much that the belly is visibly distended. The fish finder sonar sometimes show a thirty foot thick band of krill at around 25 ft depth. The ocean is very ā€œaliveā€ with action during that time. The krill coincides with the grey and humpback whale migrations that are followed by the orcas and other dolphins. Makes for interesting days on the water. The summer run of fish are larger and bring the seals and sea lions in which in turn feed our large coastal population of great white sharks. Late Summer and Fall is when surfing becomes a tad more risky.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many members here have done shift work? I bet a few of of you have, the rotating schedules, heck even just working nights for years. That to me is so detrimental to having decent sleep. Right now I work such a schedule, 12 hour days one week, 12 hour nights the next. Absolutely hate it, the overall quality of life certainly suffers because of it. I landed a state job which hopefully will be starting in November, a Monday thru Friday, day shift schedule. That should do a lot for regulating activities, like working out, eating, all of which have been sporadic as of late.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many members here have done shift work? I bet a few of of you have, the rotating schedules, heck even just working nights for years. That to me is so detrimental to having decent sleep. Right now I work such a schedule, 12 hour days one week, 12 hour nights the next. Absolutely hate it, the overall quality of life certainly suffers because of it. I landed a state job which hopefully will be starting in November, a Monday thru Friday, day shift schedule. That should do a lot for regulating activities, like working out, eating, all of which have been sporadic as of late.
I found it okay. Had to start going to a gym that was open 24/7, and find a martial arts studio that was open 7 days a week, with morning classes. Luckily I was living in an area that had those. My sleep was messed up, but as mentioned earlier my sleep is messed up anyway, so I was still able to train and exercise - and a lot of the time I was the only one at the gym when I'd go there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kind of rotating schedule is shockingly unhealthy. I worked 40 years in the ER, but I stayed on nights. That's not ideal, as far as our bodies are concerned, but it's better than rotating.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Working surgery 50 hours a week not including being on call 13 nights a month and working some portion of most of those nights ran me ragged. I finally got burned out with it and switched to AM shift Hyperbarics. Surgery is still my first love but I only fill in now. Much happier with a 0700-1530 schedule.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
That kind of rotating schedule is shockingly unhealthy. I worked 40 years in the ER, but I stayed on nights. That's not ideal, as far as our bodies are concerned, but it's better than rotating.
Early on in my EE career, I worked at a very automated foundry where we changed shifts every week. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad on my body or mood. After a few years, someone had the bright idea to change shifts every four weeks. It was a nightmare. About the time your body got acclimated to the clock, you would change shifts. Then they tried a 21-day turn, which we about as bad. People were getting sick more often and we had a higher rate of people quitting. When it finally got to the point where production was suffering, they went back to changing every week and things smoothed back out.

Latest Discussions