What MA cliches wind you up?

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
It inconceivable that you all are trained martial artists and can't tell the difference between self defense and committing a crime. Your reading more into the phrase then is actually there. Saying the phrase is equal it "stabbing a guy on the ground" or killing someone just to kill them is silly and I'd hope you were mature enough to know the difference
That's not what anyone's saying though. We're saying that we've consistently heard other people use it to justify what we consider inappropriate behaviour and as a result it's a phrase we dislike

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not what anyone's saying though. We're saying that we've consistently heard other people use it to justify what we consider inappropriate behaviour and as a result it's a phrase we dislike
No that's what several of you have said. Just like you didn't say 9 out of 10 either. Are you actually reading what's posted?

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
No that's what several of you have said. Just like you didn't say 9 out of 10 either. Are you actually reading what's posted?
None of us said that WE can't tell the difference between self defence and committing a crime. Seems like you're the one with reading comprehension issues

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
None of us said that WE can't tell the difference. Seems like you're the one with reading comprehension issues
Right it's just the 9 out of 10 "others" that don't get it. Lol

So what it mean to you?

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can kind of see the sense in that. There are some people I've met with, in my opinion, entirely the wrong attitude. They want to get into martial arts for the wrong reasons. They think that in a month they will be invincible. Whatever.
"If all you want to do is beat people up, go get a bat. It'll be cheaper and take a lot less time."
That one doesn't wind me up so much as make me giggle.

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right it's just the 9 out of 10 "others" that don't get it. Lol

So what it mean to you?
What it means to me is irrelevant; it's how I have experienced it being used by others that's the reason myself and others dislike it. Surely that's apparent by now?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What it means to me is irrelevant; it's how I have experienced it being used by others that's the reason myself and others dislike it. Surely that's apparent by now?
Lol ok so I'll ask again. What's it mean to you

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you accuse me of not reading what's written lol ;)
No I read it. I was trying to giving you a chance to have a conversation on the topic but you guess that's not your goal here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where? Where have you ever heard someone do use unnecessary force then say that? I hope if they did you took them in front of a jury of 12.
Look around the forum; it crops up regularly. I've ranted about it more than once, I know.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many of you have actually seen someone use excessive force then say it's justified because "better tried by 12 then carried by 6" if your basing your dislike over nonsence posted on the internet then well on my opinion that's a pretty silly reason.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said kill? That saying doesn't mean kill. If all it costs to stop the threat is a few broken ribs then you give a few broken ribs. If all it costs is a verbal threat you make the threat. If all if cost to stop the threat to to kill the you kill. No more no less. You use the most force you need no more and no less.

I find it a little odd all these "trained" martial artists can't tell the difference between self defense and murder or assault.

You're definition says more than what's there. Perhaps you're reading into it too much. Trained martial artists aren't the ones I'm worried about, its martial arts "authorities" telling laymen that it's better to go to court than to die when teaching potentially lethal techniques.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're definition says more than what's there. Perhaps you're reading into it too much. Trained martial artists aren't the ones I'm worried about, its martial arts "authorities" telling laymen that it's better to go to court than to die when teaching potentially lethal techniques.
Lol it is ALWAYS better to go to court then die.

Latest Discussions