What MA cliches wind you up?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the always popular and never accurate 9 out of 10

No need to be crass. It's a stupid quote, it bothers me and at least one other here. It encourages "the survive at all costs" mindset which is ignorant of extenuating circumstances. The OP is about cliches that we don't care for. It's subjective.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to be crass. It's a stupid quote, it bothers me and at least one other here. It encourages "the survive at all costs" mindset which is ignorant of extenuating circumstances. The OP is about cliches that we don't care for. It's subjective.

I think though it depends on what you think the clichés that you don't care for mean. Here we have different views on what they mean, perhaps if it meant something different from what you thought it did, it wouldn't annoy you ( or would if it didn't annoy you before lol)

If you don't believe in the 'survive at all costs' mind set would you advocate dying then as an alternative to surviving and perhaps breaking the law by doing so? I'm curious.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard it to justify anything like that
Well I have.
I would suggest then that these instructors are very poor and so likely to provide poor instruction as they are clearly not teaching proper self defence techniques if they have to exhort their students to overkill.
Well it's common place.

I dont know where you train but I have never had an instructor teach me anything to "please the crowd" Also Ive never taught anyone to use over kill.
What "people like to feel deadly" ?
Ive heard this quote 1000s of times and NEVER in the situations you describe. You may need to find better places to train
If you're not familiar with crowd pleaser techniques you're lucky. I've been to many seminars and seen a lot of crap.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not being crass those are his words not mine. If you cant tell the difference between "survival at all costs" and murder you have bigger problems then not liking a little quote
I can tell your right now "Ill survive at all costs"

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not being crass those are his words not mine. If you cant tell the difference between "survival at all costs" and murder you have bigger problems then not liking a little quote
Those weren't my words at all as I already pointed out

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes the line is finer than you might think. I'll survive and I'll avoid prison.

go to better seminars
Okay.....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think though it depends on what you think the clichés that you don't care for mean. Here we have different views on what they mean, perhaps if it meant something different from what you thought it did, it wouldn't annoy you ( or would if it didn't annoy you before lol)

If you don't believe in the 'survive at all costs' mind set would you advocate dying then as an alternative to surviving and perhaps breaking the law by doing so? I'm curious.

it is a kill at no cost that becomes an issue.

why stop an actual threat when you can stop a potential threat? I mean it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

actually this might be easier just to do the enter the dojo clip.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"
I do, that's why I think the quote in "mention is ignorant. You don't want to end up in a courtroom, if you operate lawfully you'll have less to worry about.
You can operate lawfully, and wind up in a courtroom. :rolleyes:
Oh, and "my hands are registered weapons."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems its only being misinterpreted by a select few:rolleyes:
Sorry -- but I've heard and come across it used way more to justify inappropriate and unjustifiable use of force than to suggest that you should only use reasonable force. I've seen it used way too often to cut short and ignore any serious discussion of the legal realities and issues related to the use of force, as well. It's a phrase I detest. Personally, I'd rather avoid either option by understanding and teaching the legal issues, as well as the physical.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry -- but I've heard and come across it used way more to justify inappropriate and unjustifiable use of force than to suggest that you should only use reasonable force. I've seen it used way too often to cut short and ignore any serious discussion of the legal realities and issues related to the use of force, as well. It's a phrase I detest. Personally, I'd rather avoid either option by understanding and teaching the legal issues, as well as the physical.
Where? Where have you ever heard someone do use unnecessary force then say that? I hope if they did you took them in front of a jury of 12.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is a kill at no cost that becomes an issue.

why stop an actual threat when you can stop a potential threat? I mean it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

actually this might be easier just to do the enter the dojo clip.
Who said kill? That saying doesn't mean kill. If all it costs to stop the threat is a few broken ribs then you give a few broken ribs. If all it costs is a verbal threat you make the threat. If all if cost to stop the threat to to kill the you kill. No more no less. You use the most force you need no more and no less.

I find it a little odd all these "trained" martial artists can't tell the difference between self defense and murder or assault.

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where? Where have you ever heard someone do use unnecessary force then say that? I hope if they did you took them in front of a jury of 12.
Three people have now informed you that we've heard this particular phrase used inappropriately. Why are you so unwilling to accept this? Is it that inconceivable that other people have different experiences to your own?

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about:
"After you train here, there will be no neighborhood where you won't be safe..."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Three people have now informed you that we've heard this particular phrase used inappropriately. Why are you so unwilling to accept this? Is it that inconceivable that other people have different experiences to your own?
It inconceivable that you all are trained martial artists and can't tell the difference between self defense and committing a crime. Your reading more into the phrase then is actually there. Saying the phrase is equal it "stabbing a guy on the ground" or killing someone just to kill them is silly and I'd hope you were mature enough to know the difference

Latest Discussions