What kind of Makiwara? ...

C

cmeisenzahl

My dojo has one on the wall. I would like to get one for home. What is a reasonable price to pay for one to practice punching? I see them at Century for about $20.

Anything to watch out for?

On a related note, a couple thoughts about Kenpo vs. BJJ. I love the fact that in BJJ we can and would spar at 100% intensity in each class. It really trains you well and you always know where you stand and how effective your technique is. The downside of BJJ is that you really can't practice alone. Kenpo, and I suppose other striking arts, are such that you can get hurt by sparring at even 50% intensity if not careful, even with gear. The upside that I can definitely practice technique alone. Just a newbie observation.

Thanks again guys,

Chris

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
cmeisenzahl said:
The upside that I can definitely practice technique alone. Just a newbie observation.

Thanks again guys,

Chris
You can practice the movements that make up a technique alone, but that is wildly different than practicing the technique. There are way too many variables in any attack-defend scenario to be able to practice technique without a couple of bodies.

That being said, I love to run through the sequence of a technique, or do forms and extract technique ideas from them when I'm away from the dojo.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cmeisenzahl said:
My dojo has one on the wall. I would like to get one for home. What is a reasonable price to pay for one to practice punching? I see them at Century for about $20.
Well, a "proper" makiwara is a padded board sticking out of the ground with good spring too it, the spring is very important if you want the experience to be useful rather then harmful.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
cmeisenzahl said:

Anything to watch out for?
Well, a makiwara is a standing post, not just a square on a wall. It needs a springing give that the wood provides. A wall-mounted target is not an especially good substitute. You're better off with a heavy bag or belt cracking.

If you have a yard, make one using the directions here:

http://www.ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/makiwara.html

Otherwise, try belt cracking. This exercise costs you nothing but the price of a belt:

1) Fold the belt in half.

2) Wrap an end around each hand until the belt has only a slight curve as it hangs between your extended fist and rear hand.

3) Now you punch. The belt provides resistance so you can strike harder. Proper technique is rewarded with a cracking noise as the halves of the belt snap together. The better the technique, the sharper the crack.

4) The belt with try to snap your wrists out of alignment, so just like a bag, you must strive to live up your first properly.

See how many techniques you can adapt this to! It's not perfect for everything, but it's a handy, cheap exercise for straight line punches.

OP
C

cmeisenzahl

Thanks very much guys, great info!!!

Chris

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Call me cheap...lol, but I made the pad for my makiwara out of styrofoam and tape, its about two inches this and bound tightly with shipping tape so even if it were to break inside, it would retain its shape...I have also made focus mits this same way for the hands and feet!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well, a "proper" makiwara is a padded board sticking out of the ground with good spring too it, the spring is very important if you want the experience to be useful rather then harmful.
In an old, old school, our makiwaras were cemented in the ground and the boards were planed from thin to thicker. We actually had 4 boards with resistance and "springiness" decreasing as the boards got thicker. They were wrapped in rope ... and yes, we did bleed on them.

In an old Kenpo school, we had them mounted to the wall, with a 2X whatever behind the striking board. The flexibility or "springiness" depended on how high up the back support board was in relation to the front striking board. The higher, the more resistance.

-Michael