What is this weapon called?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nope. I have seen a Chinese polearm with a long handle and a long straight blade. The Kwan Dao is not it at all. Let me see if I can find a link.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. Thought so. Here you go:
aefdda3a-0e64-df6c.jpg

http://thomaschen.freewebspace.com/photo4.html

Fifth one in from the left. Almost an exact match. I have no idea what the Hell it is named, or how to use it, though.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1327500822774.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1327500822774.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 106

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, the only one without a label... It looks like it's from the spear family, possibly more a ceremonial one with the longer blade (not uncommon). It's actually not too dissimilar to the European Ahlspeiss (Eel spear, if memory serves), although there, as well, the haft is longer than the blade, as would be expected from something from the spear family. The construction shown above is less Chinese in appearance, and more European overall, really. Interesting to hear in any of our CMA brethren know of it.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're right. It definitely has an ahlspeiss look to it. Albeit with a thicker blade.

And the way the character in the video used the weapon reminded me of the Postmaster series. Not so much like an ahlspeiss. If I remember right, that was primarily a thrusting weapon.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha, the only one without a label... It looks like it's from the spear family, possibly more a ceremonial one with the longer blade (not uncommon). It's actually not too dissimilar to the European Ahlspeiss (Eel spear, if memory serves), although there, as well, the haft is longer than the blade, as would be expected from something from the spear family. The construction shown above is less Chinese in appearance, and more European overall, really. Interesting to hear in any of our CMA brethren know of it.

Nope... not with a straight blade. With a curved blade, it'd be a da dao. With a straight sword blade... no idea.

And you caught it... no label.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope... not with a straight blade. With a curved blade, it'd be a da dao. With a straight sword blade... no idea.

And you caught it... no label.

Throughout Chinese history (from dynasty to dynasty) swords changed shape
During the Han Dynasty you could find a straight version of a dao that much later during Song they got curved again.

I beleive it was a Chang Dao that you can find straight and curved depending on dynasty and that is a long handled long bladed weapon I believe

Latest Discussions