What Is Tai Ji Quan?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, this thread is going nowhere. 47MartialMan, starting a thread like this without being willing to answer your own questions, or any questions of others is a bit elitist and comes across as supercilious. Your asking everyone to do something you aren't willing to do. The true reason for this thread is unclear. Lets either be polite and post honestly to have a true discussion or abandon the thread.

7sm

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
TaiChiTJ said:
Is there such a thing as "indoor" tai chi? That is, something other than the postural correctness of Yang Cheng Fu's ten points taught in the parks.

What might these teachings cover?
It is my understanding that "indoor" tai chi is teachings given above and beyond what is taught in a normal class.

These teachings are given after the student has proven himself to be deserving of the private classes. Usually given to someone who is going to teach and continue the system.

Could include things like teaching methods, application, higher levels of breathing exercises and so on.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Guys, this thread is going nowhere. 47MartialMan, starting a thread like this without being willing to answer your own questions, or any questions of others is a bit elitist and comes across as supercilious. Your asking everyone to do something you aren't willing to do. The true reason for this thread is unclear. Lets either be polite and post honestly to have a true discussion or abandon the thread.

7sm
I thought I did answer my own.
Per my initial:
It is defined as many things. What is your definition and opinion?

I gave two posts of what I thought the definition was per what it is commonly thought of and my opinion.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sailor said:
It is my understanding that "indoor" tai chi is teachings given above and beyond what is taught in a normal class.

These teachings are given after the student has proven himself to be deserving of the private classes. Usually given to someone who is going to teach and continue the system.

Could include things like teaching methods, application, higher levels of breathing exercises and so on.
So "indoor" is like being in the "inner circle", the "click", above the "mainstream"?

Thus, many people seek it for exercise and such of those do not persist in further applications.

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
So "indoor" is like being in the "inner circle", the "click", above the "mainstream"?

Thus, many people seek it for exercise and such of those do not persist in further applications.
I like the sound of "inner circle" best.

Alot has to do with how long the person has trained and where they're understanding of the style is. It wouldn't do much good to teach a beginner at the same level that you teach someone with say 10 years experience. The beginner would get lost or confused with the ideas and concepts. It's not that they can't learn it, it's just that they need the reference points to go by. "You have to learn to walk before you can run".

And as you say some are not interested in anything more then doing it for health puposes, they reach a certain level and are happy at that point, while others search for the "holy grail" and try to learn all that they can.

All and all it's a fun journey.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sailor said:
A.) I like the sound of "inner circle" best.

B.) Alot has to do with how long the person has trained and where they're understanding of the style is. It wouldn't do much good to teach a beginner at the same level that you teach someone with say 10 years experience. The beginner would get lost or confused with the ideas and concepts. It's not that they can't learn it, it's just that they need the reference points to go by. "You have to learn to walk before you can run".

And as you say some are not interested in anything more then doing it for health puposes, they reach a certain level and are happy at that point, while others search for the "holy grail" and try to learn all that they can.

All and all it's a fun journey.
A.) Glad you liked it. It was also used as "pun"

B.) How true. But there are a lot of instructors whom haven't learned the other applications. I have seen many such in health clubs. Thus, not educating the common wealth about these.

C.) Per my (B), I think it has a lot to to with fad. Or my term-"Sheik-N-Geek". In many cases, those that seek the "holy grail" might not find it.

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky in that I have known my instructor since the late 70's so during that time you'll find if they do real Tai Chi or feel good Tai Chi.

That and I've found that Tai Chi, can become a very personnal art, so those that want more then to just learn the form realy make it they're own.

I to have seen the health club guru's. They watch a tape or go to a couple of seminars and suddenly they're teachers. I think they do more harm then good mostly because they haven't learned proper structure and can realy screw up a persons knees. But Tai Chi is not alone in having incompetant teachers.

To get back on the topic though, I think for every person who has spent time in Tai Chi you'll get a different answer on what it is. And even if it's just an opinion on what it is, some will still argue.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, the purpose I started this thread was to find other definitions and opinions on it from other people. Thus, a general discussion. The thread can go into lineage per style (not a member lineage), structure, methods. However, I wasnt seeking for it to become a debate, rather a individual's thought.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
taijiquan a series of movements ment to: improve mobility of the body, improve circulation of the bodys fluids and energy, a method of instructing the body in movements of self defence, a method of training the body to channel energy and maybe a method to reach states of mind connected to something higher

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
taijiquan a series of movements ment to:

A.) improve mobility of the body,
B.) improve circulation of the bodys fluids and energy,
C.) a method of instructing the body in movements of self defence,
D.) a method of training the body to channel energy
E.) maybe a method to reach states of mind connected to something higher
Hmmnnn
A.) Heard of-agree with
B.) Heard of-agree with-(physical energy-not chi)
C.) Heard of-agree with
D.) Heard of-(depends on what is meant by whay energy to channel)
E.) Nevered heard of