What Is Tai Ji Quan?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
It is defined as many things. What is your definition and opinion?
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking what people practice Taiji for?

7sm

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Supreme Ultimate Fist

I think of it as the ultimate and undefeatable style of martial arts. By its basic principles and techniques there is nothing that can compare with it. The only limiting factor is the skill of the practiconer. No other MA I have seen depends so much on skill as opposed to speed strength and power. It is one of the few arts that large size and strength differences between two opponents can be so easily overcome with a high level of skill.

The only real problem with it is the amount of time it takes to get significant skill with it. Most who practice will never be skilled enough to be able to use it in a fight.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking what people practice Taiji for?

7sm
Yes, or Taiji Quan.

Also, your definition and/or perception

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good Question.

Here's a good overall article, featuring some top names in the art, providing a variety of viewpoints, on Shifu Mancuso's Plum Publication site.

http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_TCmartialart.htm

TaiJiQuan has been described in animal terms as the Snake and the Crane. I find that useful to reflect on. Think about how a snake evades an attack, and strikes back, in one unified motion. It first retreats back (just slightly), then repositions off to the side of the incoming attack. The incoming attack "falls on emptiness" as the tai chi classic texts say. Meanwhile the snake is launching full force, using all the force from its coiled body, it base, to launch its fangs straight at the adversary. Often times its incoming line is just inches away, and travelling parallel to, the enemies incoming force.

Try it with a training partner, in something less than full force action. Empty any tension in your shoulders, that's not useful here. Your base is your hips and they will make a slight semi-circle:

Retreat-Reposition off to the side-come in with the attack.

Do big circles first (inches), but know that smaller circles (centimeters) is what the tai chi chuan master hands were about.

As you retreat back a slight bit the hands are gently guiding the opponents arms off and to the side, They need to be soft and alive like an insect antennae.

It is an art for a lifetime.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was interesting. Although I have my own understanding of it. I am looking for more from others. Keep 'em coming.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
That was interesting. Although I have my own understanding of it. I am looking for more from others. Keep 'em coming.
Instead of phishing around for other thoughts & definitions... how about expounding on yours.

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
I see it as a martial art based on the principles of the grand ultimate, more commomly know as Yin and Yang.

An example whould be that the monkey, tiger, dragon etc. is a style based on the movements and actions of those animals. Tai Chi Ch'uan is based on the actions of the grand ultimate...movements flowing into one another, one action yielding into another etc..

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sailor said:
I see it as a martial art based on the principles of the grand ultimate, more commomly know as Yin and Yang.

An example whould be that the monkey, tiger, dragon etc. is a style based on the movements and actions of those animals. Tai Chi Ch'uan is based on the actions of the grand ultimate...movements flowing into one another, one action yielding into another etc..
Very interesting. Great post

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought about making a comment like that, too.

Usually when you want to get other people's opinions, it helps to post your own first to start off the discussion. You've waited and gotten some replies now, so how about adding your views, 47MartialMan?

As the definition of tai chi is not something I've thought about, I'm not going to post a real answer. If I had to go with something though, I'd say look at the little description for the forum. I was around when it was being revised and users were adding comments and suggestions for how to phrase it, so somewhere along the way I agreed with everyone else on what to put there.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The name Taijiquan can be directly translated quite easily. It means Supreme (or Grand) Ultimate Fist. Simple, no? Well, actually, this causes quite a lot of confusion. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve come across people having the direct translation correct, but falling into the trap of not quite grasping what it means. It’s fairly easy to do.

At first glance, the name Supreme Ultimate Fist can appear to be boastful. It is easy to think that it is the equivalent to calling a style “Best Fighting Style Ever.” I’ve seen otherwise apparently knowledgeable people use this to justify statements proclaiming Taijiquan’s superiority, on the basis that no-one would call a style “Best Fighting Style Ever” if it weren’t true. This is rather naive.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
The name Taijiquan can be directly translated quite easily. It means Supreme (or Grand) Ultimate Fist. Simple, no? Well, actually, this causes quite a lot of confusion. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve come across people having the direct translation correct, but falling into the trap of not quite grasping what it means. It’s fairly easy to do.

At first glance, the name Supreme Ultimate Fist can appear to be boastful. It is easy to think that it is the equivalent to calling a style “Best Fighting Style Ever.” I’ve seen otherwise apparently knowledgeable people use this to justify statements proclaiming Taijiquan’s superiority, on the basis that no-one would call a style “Best Fighting Style Ever” if it weren’t true. This is rather naive.
So enlighten us & quit the BS ... answer the question directly. All you do is ask rhetorical, circular questions... answer something straight for once...

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
So enlighten us & quit the BS ... answer the question directly. All you do is ask rhetorical, circular questions... answer something straight for once...
You remind me of someone else. You didn't even post your definition/opinion. Instead, you went on a "head-hunting" crusade. IMHO, you were trolling or looking for conflict. I thought I gave some info of my view. What is it that of my post, you don't understand? You want more?-hope you can understand;

For Sailor-I liked your response-thanks;
[b said:
Sailor[/b]]Originally Posted by Sailor
I see it as a martial art based on the principles of the grand ultimate, more commomly know as Yin and Yang....An example whould be that the monkey, tiger, dragon etc. is a style based on the movements and actions of those animals. Tai Chi Ch'uan is based on the actions of the grand ultimate...movements flowing into one another, one action yielding into another etc......
The key thing to remember here is that “Supreme Ultimate” refers to a Daoist principle. The principle is that of the yin/yang duality of all nature. In Daoist philosophy, this is the guiding, foundation principle upon which everything rests. The style of Taijiquan is named for this principle, as it is the central principle upon which the style of fighting is based.

The entire point here is that we need to keep in mind that translations can be the basis for much confusion. When we base our ideas on assumptions, we can go off on entirely the wrong tangent, especially if the assumptions we make are incorrect in fact. It comes down to the old adage that a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It doesn’t do to become complacent. When we cease to seek answers for ourselves and simply begin to take someone else’s word for something, or base opinions and beliefs on fragmented information, we end up deluding ourselves. And we also end up perpetuating errors, and it will be believed by even more people that “Taijiquan” means “Best style ever”

Of course, this is my view upon some Daosit references that I have read.

Thank you for those that will post their definition/opinion.

My signature is my summary............

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I thought I gave some info of my view. What is it that of my post, you don't understand? You want more?

About all you said before was that people misunderstand the literal translation of taijiquan. That's not exactly unexpected. I can understand clfsean's post asking you to post a more straight answer than that.

I can't actually speak for 7starmantis, but I would guess he's waiting for you to answer the question first.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dronak said:
About all you said before was that people misunderstand the literal translation of taijiquan. That's not exactly unexpected. I can understand clfsean's post asking you to post a more straight answer than that.

I can't actually speak for 7starmantis, but I would guess he's waiting for you to answer the question first.
My starting of this thread was:
It is defined as many things. What is your definition and opinion?

Some people define or give opinion upon its literal translation. I was posting in accordance to this. However, looking for some refreshing views. But any info, view, or post are welcomed.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So since I remind you of somebody else... another question or two...

Do you practice Taiji?
If so, what style?
Who's your teacher & where's the lineage run back to?
How long have you practiced Taiji?

That's a start...

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually the real question this group might approach is as follows:

Is there such a thing as "indoor" tai chi? That is, something other than the postural correctness of Yang Cheng Fu's ten points taught in the parks.

What might these teachings cover?