What is Sil Lum Gung Fu?

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's Cantonese for Shaolin kung fu. Bak Sil Lum is northern shaolin, it's probably the most common type of shaolin kung fu found outside of China. This is the type of shaolin longfist that is taught by Wing Lam, and by Yang Jwing Ming.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strange, I was just looking for the same thing yesterday. I was reading on Nick Cerio's website that was just put back up that he studied Sil Lum Kung Fu, under a Gan Fong Chin (the Lin Wan Kuen set in his kenpo comes from him).

There is a book by Leo Fong (I think that was the name) that is about Sil Lum and has the set in it. But, I also could not find anything specific about it other than it was another name for "Shaolin".

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trained Sil Lum Kung Fu for 2 1/2 years before moving. It's a southern style of shaolin/5 animals. It's not exactly the same as northern shaolin though similar. It is a southern style with lower stances and other southern aspects as opposed to the larger movements of northern styles.

http://www.brkfihq.com/sillum.html

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's Cantonese for Shaolin kung fu.

That's it right there... Sil Lum (Siu Lam) is Cantonese for Shao Lin. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bak Sil Lum is northern shaolin, it's probably the most common type of shaolin kung fu found outside of China. This is the type of shaolin longfist that is taught by Wing Lam, and by Yang Jwing Ming.

To expand this definition... Bak Siu Lam is what Ku Yu Cheong brought south with him. This is where the famous "10 Sets of Shaolin" along with other stuff he knew resides. Technically it should be called Bak Siu Lum Men since the materials were taught outside of the temple at the gate (Men). This is what Wing Lam, Wong Jack Man, Johnny So, and others ... brought to the US. You find this mainly in Southern China/Hong Kong now.

Dr Yang teaches the Nanjing curriculum which is also called Nothern Shaolin as a generic, but not wholly incorrect name. It's found predominantly in Taiwan, where he hails from.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strange, I was just looking for the same thing yesterday. I was reading on Nick Cerio's website that was just put back up that he studied Sil Lum Kung Fu, under a Gan Fong Chin (the Lin Wan Kuen set in his kenpo comes from him).

Not familiar with the name Gan Fong Chin, but in reading the little history out there, I always love that storyline. Not saying there's not truth to it, but it almost always ends up being better than life.

There is a book by Leo Fong (I think that was the name) that is about Sil Lum and has the set in it. But, I also could not find anything specific about it other than it was another name for "Shaolin".

Leo Fong... His book on Siu Lam Kung Fu & the Lin Wan Kuen is based on his studies of Fut Ga. He also wrote a book on a CLF set named Cheong Kuen from the Lau Bun Hung Sing branch of CLF. He learned both in SF's Chinatown back in the day.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's Cantonese for Shaolin kung fu. Bak Sil Lum is northern shaolin, it's probably the most common type of shaolin kung fu found outside of China. This is the type of shaolin longfist that is taught by Wing Lam, and by Yang Jwing Ming.

Not to contradict but Dr Yang teaches Chang Chuan ( Long Fist , not Sil LUm ) and Southern White Crane. My Sifu trains with him when time permits. ( Yes he also does taijichuan, chin na , etc......)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Staff Note:

Thread moved to Southern Chinese systems from General Martial Arts talk.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have always been taught by my Sifu, who studied under Master Hue, and it is the same taught by wing lam that there are 5 schools of shaolin. Ca, Fa, Pa, Wa, and Sil-Lum. I believe the Pa is Pakua and the Wa is Wah-Lum. I study Bak Sil-Lum ( Art of Shaolin), but I don't know what the other 2 are. I don't know if this is any help or not, but I believe you can find this listed in the book Plum Flower Fist Form by Wing Lam.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been taught by my Sifu, who studied under Master Hue, and it is the same taught by wing lam that there are 5 schools of shaolin. Ca, Fa, Pa, Wa, and Sil-Lum. I believe the Pa is Pakua and the Wa is Wah-Lum. I study Bak Sil-Lum ( Art of Shaolin), but I don't know what the other 2 are. I don't know if this is any help or not, but I believe you can find this listed in the book Plum Flower Fist Form by Wing Lam.

ehhhh.....

There are 5 major families in Southern Shaolin (Siu Lam)... Hung, Choy, Mok, Li, Fut.

There are 5 major Nothern long fist styles that went into creating the modern PRC Chang Quan... Hong, Hua, Pao, Zha & Shaolin.

Wahlum is a critter unto itself.

Generally the most common Bagua is an internal art that's really got no connection to the Shaolin umbrella.

Wing Lam teaches/taught the Ku Yu Cheong Buk Siu Lum Men curriculum.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
CLFSean has the root of it.

"Sil Lum" and "Shao Lin" are the same, different dialects.

If you have more detail on the school, or teacher, then a better answer can be offered to you.

"Shao Lin" is almost generic in its scope. Read some articles about the history of classification of chinese martial arts to understand how poorly the branches are understood in general.

Rob

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ehhhh.....

There are 5 major families in Southern Shaolin (Siu Lam)... Hung, Choy, Mok, Li, Fut.

There are 5 major Nothern long fist styles that went into creating the modern PRC Chang Quan... Hong, Hua, Pao, Zha & Shaolin.

Wahlum is a critter unto itself.

Generally the most common Bagua is an internal art that's really got no connection to the Shaolin umbrella.

Wing Lam teaches/taught the Ku Yu Cheong Buk Siu Lum Men curriculum.

Sometimes these things are hard to decypher as Master Hue speaks very little english. Thanks for the clarification.
Regards, Don

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I study Sil Lum Kung Fu. My teacher chose to call it by the Cantonese pronounciation because we live in the same town as Shaolin Do's main school (Lexington, Ky) is in and we DID NOT want to be confused with a Grandmaster Sin The' (Shaolin Do) school or have people think we are in any way associated with SD. :D We aren't a McDojo like they are.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study Sil Lum Kung Fu. My teacher chose to call it by the Cantonese pronounciation because we live in the same town as Shaolin Do's main school (Lexington, Ky) is in and we DID NOT want to be confused with a Grandmaster Sin The' (Shaolin Do) school or have people think we are in any way associated with SD. :D We aren't a McDojo like they are.

Dude... seriously... let it go...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He, he, he, he.......Dude, I posted that just for you clf. :D I couldn't resist. It is my goal to make all the Sin The' cool aid drinkers come to their senses.

Well... you won't... they do what they want to do... the rest of us have to suffer from your crusade...

leave the windmills alone Don Quixote, leave them alone...

Latest Discussions