What is respect?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Respect is also given to offices, entities, and objects of symbolic significance. As such you may feel respect towards someone you do not yet know personally because of the office or position they hold and have earned. So, you may rightly show respect towards a teacher, commanding officer, sensei, etc. by virtue of their earned position, respect that goes beyond routine courtesy shown to any stranger. Similarly, you may treat inanimate objects with signs of respect such as your nation's flag, a holy book such as the Torah, Bible or Koran, etc. This describes the respect we may give to symbols of our martial arts, such as out belts, the dojo, dojang, or kwoon, and so on.

Showing respect is another thing. This refers to the culturally defined ways we symbolically demonstrate respect and bestow honor.

I completely agree with this.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Respect is something that you have to earn it.
True, but, personally I wouldn't answer a 7 year old like this, because I don't think that would be the answer they are looking for.

While talking to young children whom still have developing vocabularies, I would much rather answer as simply as possible.

"Respect for someone is when you look up to them, Respect for something is looking after it well." would probably be my response if a young child asked me this.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What interesting answers to the question. I think @kempodisciple and @geezer have given better answers, but I also think there is more to it than what they have said. For example, I may treat someone with great courtesy because I have been taught to do so to all people. But I may have no respect for that person for some reason. It is also possible to respect a person a lot, but because I have never been taught good manners I may not show that person proper respect. The points brought up by kempodisciple are good, but may be over thinking the reason for the question. She (or anyone), with a few examples, may realize they have a good idea what respect is from their feelings and reactions they have already learned and practiced. But she (or anyone), especially the young, may need a lot of life experience to really understand.

I think I would have to base my response to a 7 year old based on my perception of her maturity and the reason. But most likely I would try to give her examples from the dojang first, and then from life in general.

And I am claiming no greater understanding of the universe to make me totally right, so feel free to disagree for whatever reasons you may wish to.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a young girl (around 7 years old) ask me this question today. "What is respect?" I couldn't really figure out how to answer. How would you answer this question from a young kid?
For the original spirit of the thread and defining/explaining what respect means in 7 year old terms, here’s what I tell my 5 and 7 year old daughters...

Respect is treating others the way you want them to treat you.

My kids understood that. Actually remembering it and following it? They need reminders every now and then.

Latest Discussions