What is MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Flying Crane, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    MMA is made up of karate, TKD, Judo, JJ, BJJ, Muay Thai, Aikido and any other style you do. Ground and Pound isn't a style it's something you do to someone. It also include Sambo for some, wrestling for others. It doesn't include brawling unless you are trying to be offensive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I think this answer is so good I'm going to quote it here from another thread.

From and with thanks to Blindside for this. This is in fact the universal truth about MMA.

"MMA is a sport ruleset, the athletes competing under those rules use various martial arts to compete under that ruleset." ​

3. TFP

TFP Blue Belt

Your "clinch" definition completely forgets the Thai Clinch aspect of that position. Something heavily used to success in most MMA gyms. I'm guessing your still talking about a beginner, but the Plum and knees from there should be included for a beginner.

4. Jason Norin

Jason Norin Yellow Belt

For me, you need to be some sort of a fighting genius in order for you to become a good mixed martial artist. It is hard enough to learn one martial art, what more of you study different disciplines.. Some who doesn't appreciate MMA thinks that MMA matches are street fights with rules. They are definitely wrong. Thinking that way is more like saying all martial arts are barbaric.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud Purple Belt

There are some who make a transition into MMA from a particular style, say a boxer, a judoka, or a BJJ practitioner.

There are also others who enter the MMA scene starting from scratch - this too is done and is becoming more and more popular as the sport gains prominence.

You will generally need more than one coach for the sport - especially if you intend to compete on a higher level. A standard setup would be a program for your striking game, another for your ground/grappling game, and a third to string it all together and help you with general and sport-specific conditioning. You may be able to get by with just the third one (MMA coach/instructor), but you may miss out on a lot by choosing not to focus specifically on the components of your MMA build.

You'll learn the basics isolated from one another first, like in any MA, drilled statically with resistance gradually added. The ideal end result should be that the technique be weaved along with your others into a dynamic system of moves and techniques that work for you, backed up by solid conditioning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik Purple Belt

i know that MMA can be fluid but these are the martial arts that "Contemporary Fighting Arts" includes as MMA:
    • Western Boxing
    • Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    • Karate
    • Kickboxing
    • Shoot Fighting
    • Judo
    • Muay Thai Boxing
    • Western Wrestling
    • Catch Wrestling
    • Russian Sambo
    • Capoeira

7. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

How does the 20 second ground rule create more all-rounded fights? It would definitely make it more appealing to the audience, combined with the 10-second fight rule, but it would also give a serious advantage to any striking arts.

Similarly, I can't see the 10-second fight rule doing anything but hurt styles that are more defensively oriented, allowing the more aggressive styles to take control.

With regards to the 3 x 2 minute-rounds, why would this end in a higher rate of KO's instead of just even more decisions?

Since those are the main differences from your ruleset and the most common ones that I've seen, I'm failing to see how it would provide fighters with an equal format in any unique way. Make it more exciting, sure, especially if you can get the higher rate of KO's, but I see no way that adding these extra rules it makes it more 'equal' for fighters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

You can also do crazier takedowns and riskier submisions because you know you wont get flogged for five minutes if you screw it up.

Not a huge fan of ropes though. We do them becuse a cage is just prohibitively expensive. but the ring creates all these issues of people sliding underneath them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanzou

Hanzou Senior Master

20 second limit on the ground is weak sauce.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Nice advert but sorry it makes 0 sense you say you want to give "every fighter a chance to make their own destiny" but by doing 20 second ground limits your favouring the strikers and the wrestlers and the jiu jitsu will be forced out that will make people less well rounded as the strikers won't need to train grappling as much. Now I'm not a huge grappling fan myself I've trained it for when I did mma but it's not something I enjoyed as much as striking but I still respect it and it got it's place and you can't take it away or it is basically kickboxing

• Like Like x 1
  11. lianxi

lianxi Yellow Belt

The best explanation I've found is that MMA is considered a sport, like football - there are organizations within that sport - ie - the UFC is an organization within the sport of MMA that organizes fights, makes rules, issues titles, etc - so UFC is like the NFL within the sport of MMA.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Martial D

Martial D Master Black Belt

I also heard that a fist is when you clench your hand into a ball, and that water is wet.

13. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

MMA is short for Messy Martial Arts