What is Jeet Kune Do, article by Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'JKD / Jeet Kune Do' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Malos1979

Malos1979 Yellow Belt

In regards to who are you posting this?

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Technically everyone. My comment on the topic.

3. Malos1979

Malos1979 Yellow Belt

Gotcha :)

4. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Master Black Belt

No it doesn't prove your point at all. It's a fragmented argument your using. Just to be clear, I think the art Bruce had in mind is not what it turned out to be, so in a sense we agree. My only contention is your choice argue points. The strict definition of an icon is a religious painting or a computer avatar of sorts. But in English it has a connotation of being famous to the point of being imbeded into the psychological social framework of a culture. Like the computer icon the little image represents a much larger body. This is exactly what Bruce Lee is. His name alone and even more so his image, is seen as a representation of martial arts as a whole. If we were to remove language and had an abstract phone app that was martial arts, the icon button on your phone could be Bruce Lee and everyone would understand what it was for. The only image that represents martial arts more and is more universal would be the white gi.
    To say there are better martial artists out in the world is complete separate thought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malos1979

Malos1979 Yellow Belt

I'm talking about the person Bruce Lee, who used his actor status to promote his JKD. He had this advantage, but the things he was doing and saying were already said so many times by other people, just not on TV and it hadn't reached such a big audience.

He promoted himself as if he had seen the light and was touched by jesus himself, and the instructors that are teaching JKD these days have the same attitude (at least here in Holland).

Maybe you shouldn't look to much at language component of this thread, I think for 30% on this forum English isn't their native language. Same goes for me, we can always have a private discussion in Dutch if you want.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng Sr. Grandmaster

Well it appears 8 day short of the 44th anniversary of the death of Bruce Lee that he is still relevant and causing all sorts of arguments based on his training methodology...And you know, I don't think he would be all that upset about it, likely he would be rather pleased, of course that is an assumption on my part...

all I have left to say in this thread is what was already said by Buka

Quote for Truth

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Just a thought here. So, if we're coming up on 44 years since Bruce Lee passed away, how many commenting here are old enough to have been an adult when Bruce Lee was alive and doing, or not doing, all these things I hear about?

Or are some of your opinions based on other resources?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Xue Sheng

All I can say is I was a kid who just started Jujutsu in 1972 and a year later he died. I remember Bruce Lee from Magazines, the Green Hornet (Watched it religiously right along with Batman), the announcement of his death and announcement of the new movie Enter the Dragon. The other resources were his books and the comments of those that knew him in the MA world of the time. Which I was old enough to know then...is very different from now

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

I used to walk by his grave fairly often, before Brandon was buried next to him. Otherwise I don't think much about him, unless someone stirs the pot a little.

10. Jenna

Jenna Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Where is that?

11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    I was an adult, serving in the RAF. I remember we were all quite sad when he passed away. what he said and did didn't change my training or how I thought about martial arts to be honest then or now but what he did do was make them 'cool' to people who'd previously thought it 'weird' or 'macho' to do martial arts. We all enjoyed his films whether we were martial artists or not. I have always thought of him as a practitioner of Chinese martial arts so to be honest have never taken a lot of notice of his writing on martial arts, might have been a mistake but I wouldn't slag him off either. I really don't know that much about his style or training. I do think he was good for martial arts though, he may have been self promoting but that's not always a bad thing if it changes people's perception. As I said he made us martial artists of whatever style cool so a lot to be thankful for there. :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

He's buried in a cemetery next to Volunteer Park in Seattle. It's on Capitol Hill, with a beautiful view of Lake Washington. Brandon Lee is also buried there now, but he passed much later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jobo

jobo Master Black Belt

for once I find myself in agreement with every one, im not sure on the,scale of things how,good BL was, but talented enough that he,wasn't a complete movie fake,but was a,great self publicist
    I have trouble with the jkd being style with out a,style, it has become just that and then it begs the question if jkd is the best bits or the other styles and therefore,superior why its such a minority style, the other's should really have been replaced by it. So maybe it's not really that good?.

it seems He is at least as famous now as he was before his untimely,death. a bit like Marilyn Monroe, so definitely an iconic figure and surprisingly the body type most men would like to have, I say,surprisingly as it a lot,easier to replicate that toned thin look that the Huge musclemen look.( provided your thin in the first place)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  14. Xue Sheng

Where is what?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

Actually, he didn't use his celebrity status to write a book because, aside from the slim CHINESE GUNG FU book, every book was published posthumously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

I think JKD has not replaced every other style simply because not everyone agrees that combining bits and pieces of styles is the best way to do it. Some still believe in sticking to one system.

17. jobo

jobo Master Black Belt

yes but some people won't accept anything new if is superior or not. But the take up and,spread of jkd, is far less than that other bits of other system all mixed into one MMA. So clearly a lot of people will buy into a new system if it's good enough

18. Malos1979

Malos1979 Yellow Belt

Sticking to one system is ok as long as that system suits you. The concept of JKD isn't new and mixing isn't sure as hell not new :D, I think those Indonesians made a hobby of mixing Silat and Pukulan styles.

19. WhisperingButterfly

WhisperingButterfly White Belt

Bruce Lee Story.jpg

• Like Like x 1