What is "Bushido?"

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Literally defined at "[size=-1]the way of the warrior (samurai), a term applied to the principles of loyalty and honor; a code of stoic endurance, scorn of danger and death, religious worship of country and sovereign, and proper social relationships; an aesthetic life- style." the term is referenced repeatedly in countless arts.

But, what is it really?

Is it strictly "Japanese", or is it a universal ideal?

What truely is the Way of the Warrior?
[/size]

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Bushido" as a term is strictly Japanese...heres a good definition.

Read the Budoshoshinshu and the Hagakure to get an understanding of Japanese Bushido.

As an "idea" I guess you can compare it to various other warrior traditions like Chivalry, but Bushido is an animal all its own.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a good book review by Meik Skoss found at koryu.com

Charles Tuttle has reprinted a 1941 translation done by A.L. Sadler of the Budo Shoshinshu of Daidoji Yuzan and titled it The Code of the Samurai. It is a collection of precepts for members of the warrior class and, like Hagakure, helped form much of the thought of the bushi of the Edo period. It is a much more agreeable text than Hagakure, to my way of thinking, and well worth reading. Another book deserving study is The Way of the Sword: The Tengu Geijutsuron of Chozan Shissai. It was originally translated into German by Reinhard Kammer and then into English by Betty J. Fitzgerald. The copy I have is from Arkana.

another good review

http://www.koryubooks.com/store/samuraicode.html

S

ShadowKnight

As mentioned above, the actual term "Bushido" is a strictly Japanese term. Although its concept and ideas dont need to be applied only to Japan.

Most regions have had their own "Warriors" with their own ideals and concepts of loyalty, honor, service to their land and people.

Anyone can follow a similar path in life and they can call that which they practice what they wish.

IMO, the American nation is infected with this idea of being "gangsta." I personally detest the idea of a person having to prove himself by putting others down and trying to portray a "tough persona."

This is evident in competative events such as sports and in the mainstream media.

In my Senior Survey class (I am a senior in high school), we studied the behaviours of Males in the US and the image they try to put out. I know what I am saying seems off topic but this is mearly to prove my point.

The times now, which are controlled by the media have corrupted people into thinking that by acting tough, a person will gain more respect.

This is entirely rediculous and proves that things such as chivalry and bushido no longer exist in this world. These are concepts which seem to have died out with the warriors of our past. Concepts which can only be read about in books or seen in movies. If there are people who do follow this, they are few and far between.

Maybe, bushido has become something that only someone who truly believes in it, can pass down to a new generation and hope they dont fall into this trap the media puts out. So that they can live a more satisfying life.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps the root of most writings you will find on bushido.

The man who would be a warrior considers it his most basic intention to keep death always in mind, day and night, from the time he first picks up his chopsticks in celebrating his morning meal on New Year's Day to the evening of the last day of the year. When one constantly keeps death in mind, both loyalty and filial piety are realized, myriad evils and disasters are avoided, one is without illness and mishap, and lives out a long life. In addition, even his character is improved. Such are the many benefits of this act.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BUSHIDO
The Soul of Japan

An Exposition of Japanese Thought
by Inazo Nitobe

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For someone to claim that Bushido is strickly Japanese is like claiming that the 10 commandments are only Christian.

Just because something came from somewhere or is tied to a culture doesn't mean that it stickly belongs to them. The Warriors of Old Nipon and New Japan both embrace Bushido. But I am Not Christian and Not Japanese... But I still follow 90% of the 10 Commandments and I try to Live my life through the Bushido Code. 8 Codes that build a Stong Person Not just a Strong Warrior.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are confusing origin with practitioners. I dont have to be Jewish to practice Judaism.....Bushido, as a code, is as Japanese as the Katana. However I dont have to be Japanese to practice Iaido.

As a "Warrior Code", Bushido is no more peculiar to Japan than Chivalry was to Europe. However Bushido developed in Japan with the Samurai and has different roots and branches than Chivalry. Much as you can say that Christianity, Islam and Judaism have common roots, but developed into different systems.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
1)For someone to claim that Bushido is strickly Japanese is like claiming that the 10 commandments are only Christian.

Just because something came from somewhere or is tied to a culture doesn't mean that it stickly belongs to them.

2)The Warriors of Old Nipon and New Japan both embrace Bushido. But I am Not Christian and Not Japanese... But I still follow 90% of the 10 Commandments and I try to Live my life through the Bushido Code. 8 Codes that build a Stong Person Not just a Strong Warrior.
1)Buddhists practice the 10 commandments?

2)In new Japan they embrace it? Coming from someone that lives and trains here I think you need a reality check……

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a word, its origin is Japanese, but the philosophy could prob be embraced by anyone.

Your last question is very intriguing but very hard to answer: Ive been in the martial arts for 22 yrs of my life but I am still trying to figure out the meaning of that word. It has to be more than knowing how to fight, being a warrior imho is something many feel that they are, but very few in actuality ever will be.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1)Buddhists practice the 10 commandments?

2)In new Japan they embrace it? Coming from someone that lives and trains here I think you need a reality check……

When I spent some time, not much time, a week here, two weeks there, I did not see the general public embracing Bushido. To the point I could not even get an introduction to the lcoal instructors as most did not even know with whom to talk too.

Just my experience with Japan.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
When I spent some time, not much time, a week here, two weeks there, I did not see the general public embracing Bushido. To the point I could not even get an introduction to the lcoal instructors as most did not even know with whom to talk too.

Just my experience with Japan.
It’s amazing how little your average Japanese guy on the street knows about any Japanese MA or the concepts there in …..ask them about “Anime” and you might get a more insightful reply.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
It’s amazing how little your average guy on the street knows about any MA in Japan…..ask them about “Anime” and you might get a more insightful reply.

Very True.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try asking an American kid who won the Civil War....

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
It’s amazing how little your average Japanese guy on the street knows about any Japanese MA or the concepts there in …..ask them about “Anime” and you might get a more insightful reply.

I was sitting in a coffee shop waiting for some friends, and I smiled and flirted with a woman about my age, while she got her coffee. She joined her party, and was the second and younger wife of one of the guys. The other woman was an older Filipina. Well one fo the guys showed up and he had a balisong, and was asking about a loose pin. I am not a knife repair expert, and I offered my best. The woman my age looked at the knife and asked what it was. I explained it was a blade designed in originally in the PI, and it was called a Balisong. She asked why would we be interested in a knife from the PI? I explained that we trained in martial arts, and the art(s) is/are from the PI. The Filipina then commented about Judo and Karate being the art. I replied Modern Arnis and Balintawak, and she was upset. She did not know these arts, and was looking bad in front of her husband and friends. I turned to the American husband of the Filipina and commented the following: SHe is from a family with some money correct? He replied Yes. Then they probably thought of these types of arts as thug arts, where teh Judo and Karate had Uniforms with standards from other cultures. The Filipina was much happie once I explained how she might not know.

This story is not the only one I have about people from the PI who do not know about their cultural arts.

My Apologies for the off topic posts.

Peace
:asian:

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the late eighties I hosted a young Japanese 4th dan, who had come from four years full time study at our Hombu on Shikoku to live with a friend and myself for 12 months to help us with our training. I asked him what the difference between Budo and Bushido was. His English was not to bad, but it was difficult for him to describe complex concepts. His response was that Bushido is everything for the master, where as Budo is for yourself as well as others.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I was sitting in a coffee shop waiting for some friends, and I smiled and flirted with a woman about my age, while she got her coffee. She joined her party, and was the second and younger wife of one of the guys. The other woman was an older Filipina. Well one fo the guys showed up and he had a balisong, and was asking about a loose pin. I am not a knife repair expert, and I offered my best. The woman my age looked at the knife and asked what it was. I explained it was a blade designed in originally in the PI, and it was called a Balisong. She asked why would we be interested in a knife from the PI? I explained that we trained in martial arts, and the art(s) is/are from the PI. The Filipina then commented about Judo and Karate being the art. I replied Modern Arnis and Balintawak, and she was upset. She did not know these arts, and was looking bad in front of her husband and friends. I turned to the American husband of the Filipina and commented the following: SHe is from a family with some money correct? He replied Yes. Then they probably thought of these types of arts as thug arts, where teh Judo and Karate had Uniforms with standards from other cultures. The Filipina was much happie once I explained how she might not know.

This story is not the only one I have about people from the PI who do not know about their cultural arts.

My Apologies for the off topic posts.

Peace
:asian:
No problem. Interesting story, thanks.

Latest Discussions