What is and SHOULD NOT BE

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The dram in a can: Scottish whisky the way South Americans like it...

By Mark Howarth Daily Mail EXCERPT:
Last updated at 9:12 AM on 17th January 2011
article-0-0CC8CB47000005DC-996_233x423.jpg
A Panama-based company believes outdoor drinkers would prefer to crack open a tin rather than lug round a bottle of whisky

It is a sight that will have whisky connoisseurs spluttering into their drink – a dram in a can.

A Panama-based company believes outdoor drinkers would prefer to crack open a tin rather than lug round a bottle of their favourite tipple.

Now bosses at Scottish Spirits – which retains an office in Glasgow – is testing out the novelty on its Caribbean and South American markets.

But last night the Scotch Whisky Association said it would try to ban the cans for breaching international labelling rules.

A spokesman for the body said: ‘We are concerned that consumers may be confused whether or not the product is real Scotch and we will be investigating the matter further.’

Scottish Spirits launched the tins last week, the first time straight whisky has been sold in a can.

Chief executive Manish Panshal said: ‘We are really thrilled with the idea – it’s going to be a part of every lifestyle and occasion.

END EXCERPT
Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?

that is a tub full of booze in a nonresealable container! :eek:

Quite so, Don!

Certain things are not done simply because it is uncivilised to do so - can you imagine what even the very finest of whisky, such as Tallisker or Laphroaig would taste like after being in a can ...

{froths with outrage}

I didn't read the article as I leapt straight to "Disgusted of Hemel Hempstead" with near inertialess acceleration :eek:. So, I have to ask why is the can labelled 1896?

Ahhh..

What is and what should never be.

[yt]XtoeOQksSzE[/yt]

:)

Nice, Angel :D.

Hmm, the company claims to have been exporting it's whisky around the world since 1896 ... yet was founded in 1945 ... :confused:.

Charlatans, fear the wrath of the real whisky makers - their ads have already been banned over here, I believe, as being against the Trade Descriptions Act. Their company site claims Western Europe as being one of their export markets - can't say I've ever heard of them before now myself ... I wonder why?

Quite so, Don!

Certain things are not done simply because it is uncivilised to do so - can you imagine what even the very finest of whisky, such as Tallisker or Laphroaig would taste like after being in a can ...

{froths with outrage}

I didn't read the article as I leapt straight to "Disgusted of Hemel Hempstead" with near inertialess acceleration :eek:. So, I have to ask why is the can labelled 1896?
No, it would taste like the linning in the can. I always liked pop in a can better that a plastic bottle. Maybe whiskey would be better. Perhaps, it is more civilized!
Sean

Along the same lines..I like my Coffee either from a ceramic or paper cup. Styrofoam, plastic and steel containers kill the taste for me.

Same here.

Although I prefer iced, I've been seen with an iced coffee in single-digit weather. And yes, when it is 5 degrees out, the iced coffee feels warm in your hands :lol:

That STILL doesn't seem as wrong as whiskey in a can, though!

The size and nonresealability is not why it is wrong though.

Quite so, Don!

{froths with outrage}

I am quiet sure that the customers fr that high class hootch are not overlapping with the base who'd buy a can of booze...then again, they probably don't worry about taking the leftovers home...

(Laphroaig is that the double malted Scottish stuff? Not that I ever saw any, but I read 'Proof' by Dick Francis)

Latest Discussions

Back