What is an Animal Style?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The discussion on the Big Cat thread made me realize there might be a need for a separate discussion on just what it is that makes something an "Animal Style". I think there's a lot of confusion on this topic and most people don't really understand what it means. So I'm gonna try to lay it out there and shed some light on the case. Obviously I'm writing from my specific experiences with the system in which I've trained, Tibetan White Crane. I have not trained in any other animal styles and cannot speak for them, but I suspect there may be certain parallels and commonalities. I also welcome anyone with experience in other animal systems to speak up and add to the discussion and make comparisons/contrasts to what they train and the experiences they've had.

I think that most people think of physical technique when they consider an animal style. Crane style would use a lot of crane beak strikes, tiger style would use a lot of clawing techniques, eagle claw style would also use clawing techniques, preying mantis would use hooking and grasping techniques, etc. On a superficial level this is true, but in my experience this is not really what makes for an "animal style". These kinds of hand techniques are found in many different martial arts, and yet those systems are not animal styles, and often cannot even claim to be influenced by an animal style. Clawing and grasping techniques are very common among Asian martial arts, even naming the techniqes "Tiger Claw", yet the style is NOT a Tiger style, for example. I suspect most systems can claim the use of these techniques on some level or other.

An animal style does take inspiration from a particular animal. It does harbor a body of techniques that can relate to particular observable animal movements or animal fighting or hunting habits. But this is superficial and again is not what really defines the system. Instead, there should be an underlying principle or set of principles, and a methodology that is an expression of those principles, that defines the style. And ultimately, this translates into an approach to how one trains, more than dictates the type of technique one would use. For example, if one would observe a skilled Tibetan White Crane stylist in an actual fight, it would probably look very much like any fight. What I mean is, you would not observe any special "crane techniques" in the fight. You would not observe a plethora of crane-beak strikes, or anything else that would look "crane-y" to the observer. Instead, you would see punches and strikes that look very similar to what anybody from any other system might do. The difference is not visible to the eye, but is apparent to the one being struck: a skilled white crane punch is tremendously powerful, and the training method used in white crane develops the ability to deliver strikes that are extremely destructive.

I'm going to explain the deepest secret of Tibetan White Crane, right here, for everyone to know: Rooting and Rotation/Pivot. That's it. That's the secrect of White Crane and that is taught to a beginning student on the first day of training. If you understand that, there is nothing else to know. There are no secret techniques, no magical "crane hand" strikes or anything like that. In fact, the stereotypical "crane beak" strike that most people think of is something that we make very little use of. Sure we have it, but it's not very common in our system. Instead, we punch, we use palm strikes, we grab, claw, tear, twist, kick, etc. Pretty much we use all the standard strikes that one would find in any other strike-centric system.

So, how is Rooting and Rotation the secret of white crane? That is our approach to training our strikes. That is what the bird, the crane itself, inspired in the founder of our system, if we can believe the oral history that tells us back in the 1400s a Tibetal Lama witnessed a fight between a crane and a monkey, and from that encounter he recognized a method to develop a very powerful strike, which he originally called Lion's Roar. We have a very specific method that we use to learn to root our feet on the ground, and then use that root and the power of our legs to drive a full-body rotation which we use to deliver our strikes. That's it, in a nut shell. Now, we do have numerous types of punches that we use, some of which would seem unusual to people from other systems. These "crane technique" punches are useful and can sort of define and identify the system on a superficial level, but again, these specific techniques are not what makes it White Crane. Rather, these techniques are an expression of our fundamental method: rooting and rotation. These techniques are practiced as a method of reinforcing those fundamental principles of rooting and rotation, they are a way of training that skill into the body. Once that skill is developed, then we can use it to drive any movement, any technique, even if it is not one of our standard "crane punches". Because those punches are not the true goal. The true goal is to develop that ability to root and use body rotation to make any movement at all into a potentially powerful technique.

That is what makes our system White Crane.

Now I recognize that White Crane is not the only system that uses rooting and rotation to power its techniques. I expect these concepts and principles are found in many systems in some form or other. What makes it White Crane is our specific methodology for training and developing this skill. I believe that our specific training methodology is unique, no other system besides the family of Tibetan methods that came from the original Lion's Roar, uses a similar method. Other systems develop a similar skill, but they do not go about it the same way that we do.

This is the kind of thing that I believe makes for an animal system. Not the specific body of techniques, but rather the underlying method of training, that is what was inspired by the animal itself.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanted to add another thought here... because the system is built upon a specific methodology, I do not believe one can effectively adopt or steal specific techniques from the system. If you do the physical motion of the techniques but do not power them with the underlying principles and methodology, then you are not really doing the techniques properly. You are simply mimicking the technique without understanding how to properly do it. This is why I believe it is usually a bad idea for someone to adopt forms and techniques into another system, unless you have THOROUGHLY trainined in both systems and you have determined that the foundational methods are compatible and consistent. If they are not, then you will be doing the adopted material on top of a foundation for which it was never designed, and it yields little or no value.

Most people who attempt to mix methods like this are not doing it correctly. They may think they are, but they are wrong.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For some reason this reminded me of a cartoon I saw many year ago that was a spoof on the origin of Tiger style anything. A guy that looked like a shaolin Monk telling a story of how he was studying the ways of the tiger to develop a fighting style similar to that of a tiger… and of course it showed him crouching down in the reeds watching a tiger. He then goes on to say most unfortunately the tiger had been studying the ways of man and the next scene is the tiger standing up with a rifle shooting at the monk.

I would have loved to post it but it is old (possibly over 30 years old) and I cannot find it anywhere on the web

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Michael you have said that the relation to the observable animal movements is superficial and but if there was no such animal would the style still be the style?

If there were no monkey then monkey style kf would not be anything like it is yes?? There is more to the body of technique than just immitation of the animal I understand this.. and but is there not only more because good stylists will *also* adopt the perceived intent of the eponymous animal of that style?? I do not know if this makes sense :)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some reason this reminded me of a cartoon I saw many year ago that was a spoof on the origin of Tiger style anything. A guy that looked like a shaolin Monk telling a story of how he was studying the ways of the tiger to develop a fighting style similar to that of a tiger… and of course it showed him crouching down in the reeds watching a tiger. He then goes on to say most unfortunately the tiger had been studying the ways of man and the next scene is the tiger standing up with a rifle shooting at the monk.

I would have loved to post it but it is old (possibly over 30 years old) and I cannot find it anywhere on the web

nice, I would love to see that.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael you have said that the relation to the observable animal movements is superficial and but if there was no such animal would the style still be the style?

If there were no monkey then monkey style kf would not be anything like it is yes?? There is more to the body of technique than just immitation of the animal I understand this.. and but is there not only more because good stylists will *also* adopt the perceived intent of the eponymous animal of that style?? I do not know if this makes sense :)

This does make sense and is an interesting question. There is a (more than one, possibly?) dragon style and dragons, of course, do not exist. I don't know much at all about dragon, but I believe there is a cultural perception of certain qualities that the dragon posesses as an animal, and that is what is embodied in the method.

Regarding monkeys, if they didn't exist either in real life or in mythology, then no, Monkey Style would not exist, at least not named as such. But would the approach and the body of techniques exist anyway? I dunno, I suspect not because there would have been no source of inspiration, tho of course similar movements can be developed independently by different people.

interesting question, I can't say I have a difinitive answer for you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Some of the Monkey style is based on myth, Sun Wukong

Sun_Wukong_17102009063630.jpg

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the systems I am trained in is an eight animal system. Much of what you say is true, in that each animal has its own principles and concepts. Basically its' own mode of operation. Much of how I was trained in this eight animal system was to learn the basics of the animal and then learn the "spirit" of said animal. Each animal has its' place in the wild and defends itself differently. Take for instance the tiger and the leapoard. Both are big cats. However, thier personalities are different for the purposes of kung fu. A tiger is very powerful, using low stances and powerful strikes and grabs to overwhelm an opponent. The leopard is more concerned with mitigating attacks with pinpoint accuracy and traps. The leopard isn't so concerned with overwhelming the opponent as to just ending the threat to get away.

I have noticed that once you have trained enough to understand the animal styles, you notice them cropping up in faily unexpeted places. For instance I see crane when I watch TKD and tiger when I watch Shotokan. Juijitsu resembles snake or sometimes dragon. That doesn't mean those systems are those particular animals, but they share some basics with those animal systems. So I do thing many times you can see the animal influence in specific CMA styles, particularly if a martial artist is very well trained.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also welcome anyone with experience in other animal systems to speak up and add to the discussion and make comparisons/contrasts to what they train and the experiences they've had.

Thank you, Michael, for the informative post, and shedding light on the magnificent White Crane. I would like to add, if I may, another perspective.

Power transfer, as you have mentioned, is a very important aspect. The White Crane, being a migratory bird, moves it's body in such a way in flight, as to be able to fly very long distances. Unlike local birds, that move just their wings while flying, the White Crane generates power from it's spine and chest, and moves these in coordination with their wings.
As you mention in your post, rooting and rotation are used to power techniques, and as I love illustrations, I would add this as a mental vision. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of the Monkey style is based on myth, Sun Wukong

Sun_Wukong_17102009063630.jpg

I like this story thank you XS :) I am thinking then that even the myth was itself based on at least /something/ conceivable yes? :)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you, Michael, for the informative post, and shedding light on the magnificent White Crane. I would like to add, if I may, another perspective.

Power transfer, as you have mentioned, is a very important aspect. The White Crane, being a migratory bird, moves it's body in such a way in flight, as to be able to fly very long distances. Unlike local birds, that move just their wings while flying, the White Crane generates power from it's spine and chest, and moves these in coordination with their wings.
As you mention in your post, rooting and rotation are used to power techniques, and as I love illustrations, I would add this as a mental vision. :)

very good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. It becomes a full-body delivery, another aspect of interpretation of what it means to be crane.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It becomes a full-body delivery, another aspect of interpretation of what it means to be crane.
Could it be said that all animals use full-body delivery, and that it's only "civilized" humans who break down and isolate physical actions?

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could it be said that all animals use full-body delivery, and that it's only "civilized" humans who break down and isolate physical actions?

very well could be. That is the real lesson in the animal systems

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
An animal style is a misrepresentation of the true method, reflex, and power of said animal of particular.

Humans cannot never truly portray this.

In other words, you are what you are within the confines of nature.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
An animal style is a misrepresentation of the true method, reflex, and power of said animal of particular.

Humans cannot never truly portray this.

In other words, you are what you are within the confines of nature.

This kinda goes without saying and under the heading of quite obvious.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This kinda goes without saying and under the heading of quite obvious.

Well, y'know sometimes somebody real smart like him has to come along & explain it to us. I mean, not just anybody can cipher like him about the kung-fooey types of kurotty out there. Goshdarn it... he knows what's real & what isn't by jiminy.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know much at all about dragon, but I believe there is a cultural perception of certain qualities that the dragon possesses as an animal, and that is what is embodied in the method.
Could it be said that there is a cultural-symbolic component in all the animal methods?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Could it be said that there is a cultural-symbolic component in all the animal methods?

Dragon has a hunch back kind of stance if I remember correctly. I have no direct experience with it but I have a book that taks agout it somewhere. If I can find it I shall post more about it

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score

Since early Chinese culture was largely shamanistic, this is probably true. Also the link of the human playing the animal makes all of them have a great deal in common. ;)

Latest Discussions