So, you wanta to study martial arts in China.......

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I appreciate that we have different strokes -no pun- for different folks and different cultures and I would not always criticise what happens in other lands and but this if it is true as reported it is reprehensible.. the comments on the second link are beyond my understanding.. this is the compassion with which we treat our young people???? .. I have got this wrong and so you as my teacher are going to beat the **** out of me?? what lesson do I learn from this??

where is the enlightenment concomitant with the martial arts??? it has come down to control and commerce and reputations?? pffft.. I would be interested to hear argument claiming to support this practice..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My first sifu, during a conversation about training and why hewent so easy on some, once told me he could not train students in America likehe could in China. When I asked why his response was “I cannot hit them when the don't listen or do something stupid” and that conversation was about 20 years ago

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
geez cry me a river. if you dont wanna be beaten, follow the rules or leave the school, simple as that, its your own choice.
its not like violent parent, you cant just swap parents.
my GM was a korean army veteran, we had tough lessons too.

what bothers me about this topic is how little girls join martial arts schools to become tougher but instead just whine their way through the schools and never get the hang out of the whole idea. this community is a good expample.

although after checking out more photos i need to state that i wouldnt stay in a school where punishment actually ends up in injuries that make you unable to train..

Last edited:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
geez cry me a river. if you dont wanna be beaten, follow the rules or leave the school, simple as that, its your own choice.
its not like violent parent, you cant just swap parents.
my GM was a korean army veteran, we had tough lessons too.

what bothers me about this topic is how little girls join martial arts schools to become tougher but instead just whine their way through the schools and never get the hang out of the whole idea. this community is a good expample.

although after checking out more photos i need to state that i wouldnt stay in a school where punishment actually ends up in injuries that make you unable to train..

I have no delusions about becoming some kind of hardass, I want to be a successful athlete. Good for you if you do, but not everyone wants to be some kind of badass street fighter and despite what kung fu movies would have you believe, corporal punishment from a martial arts instructor doesn't provide results any better than an actual educational environment.

OP
R

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
its not like violent parent, you cant just swap parents...
In Asia, many kids are poverished and without parents, Enrolling in a school is for survuval. A choice is not a option in many cases.

my GM was a korean army veteran, we had tough lessons too...
Did he beat you as hard as the people in the article?

what bothers me about this topic is how little girls join martial arts schools to become tougher but instead just whine their way through the schools and never get the hang out of the whole idea. this community is a good expample...
There is punishment by thrashing in educational schools throughout the world. But why would there be one in a martial art school composed of young people. Perhaps such abuse could be warranted for military training.

This seems to contradict some of your post

Latest Discussions