What is Aikido?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

What to you is Aikido?

I had an instructor rotate his hands and move his feet and say, "This is Aikido."

I had another Aikido teacher say, "You learn so you may forget."

He would makes us do drills over and over again and say this is not Aikido. It's Aikido when you can do this without thought.

So, what is Aikido?

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

What to you is Aikido?

I had an instructor rotate his hands and move his feet and say, "This is Aikido."

He would makes us do drills over and over again and say this is not Aikido. It's Aikido when you can do this without thought.

So, what is Aikido?

well i'll tell you, if i were you i would get your two instructors together and let them work it out, after all someone has to be right:lool:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aikido is what happens to uke when I do, correctly, what I'm supposed to be doing

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
1 milion dollar question. You ask it to 100 Aikidoka's and you will get 200 different answers. I am sure O Sensei himself would have given you different answers according to his age when you would have asked the question.

Keep practicing and find the answer to this question on your own...and I am sure that you too will change the answer along your Aikido path.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea what Aikido is yet. Aikido is a martial art. As with any art project mine is still a work in progress and in the end will look like no one elses.

-Gary

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen threads on aikido where a seemingly non-sensical question has garnered answers from everyone who has responded to this thread that were pages long (myself included) but the BIG question for us as aikido-ka gets one sentence answers? Maybe that's aikido. It's like asking a person who are you? A very simple question yet at the same time an extremely complex question.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well.... I though I would anser "Aikido is was you make of it, and it fits to the phylosofy of it". But then I really starting thinking about all the answers written here. Everone of them showing different aspects of some kind of learning. Like showing different parts of the elephant, but not seeing it all at once. Not sayign that I hold the whole picture, but I offer another view.

Aikido is a name for something man has made. It is a set of rules created to make sure that another individual can experience life the "same" way as the "teacher". But nobody can experience (my assumption) something 100% as another person, because we have different experiences. There our view will be different, even if we adheard (sp?) 100% to the same rules.

Some styles have many rules to ensure that the pupil gets the correct experience, some dont. Some have many rules for the "body" while others have rules for thought(how to think).

So it's these rules and the connected experience that makes Aikido(or anything else). And since experience cant (yet) be measured, we can only look at the rules (mostly techniques and phylosofies).

Now there isn't 1 style of Aikido, like there isn't just one car: Ford or Toyota. There are sub styles and newly created styles, mixed styles, and evovled styles. Just like cars. This can confues it, but lets keep it simple.

Asking "me" what I think about a statement like "I had another Aikido teacher say, "You learn so you may forget."

Is like asking me how doe the rules that this individual been taught about aikido, been applied to this guy?

I can't say. I'd have to talk to and learn this guy alot better = understand the rules and experience this guy has.

But if you see his tecnique you can see if it fits to something else (like the style he says he follows).

/Yari

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My training under Soke Michael Kinney has always included Tang-soo-do, Jujitsu Modern Arnis and Aikido. For a long time I wondered which move fell into which style. As my training progressed I was able to recognize the principles that governed my techniques and more accurately fit them within a particular style. For Aikido, in my experience, if the technique flowed naturally, had no or little striking involved and ended with my opponent on the ground or in a ton of pain, then it was Aikido. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

What to you is Aikido?

So, what is Aikido?
I think every art is unique in its own way. A question like yours - which could elicit a wondrous cornucopia of replies - could be answered without using ornate language or complex metaphor by saying simply that Aikido is a martial way that seeks to neutralise any attack, but by its very intent, seeks to do so WITH NO HARM to the attacker. I have yet to come across another art with this principle at its core.

I am Aikikai btw so you will maybe forgive me for tarring all aikidoka with the same brush - I know there are some right Aikido hardnuts out there! :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me too, does that mean it's a conspiracy :boing1:
Ah.. another Nihon Goshin crazy! Mighta known! I've seen (felt) what you nuts are like when yous get goin hehe :D Just jokin... or am I?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think every art is unique in its own way. A question like yours - which could elicit a wondrous cornucopia of replies - could be answered without using ornate language or complex metaphor by saying simply that Aikido is a martial way that seeks to neutralise any attack, but by its very intent, seeks to do so WITH NO HARM to the attacker. I have yet to come across another art with this principle at its core.

I am Aikikai btw so you will maybe forgive me for tarring all aikidoka with the same brush - I know there are some right Aikido hardnuts out there! :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

No harm ???

Since when does throwing a person to the ground, while potentialy breaking a joint = no harm???

Amir

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No harm ???

Since when does throwing a person to the ground, while potentialy breaking a joint = no harm???

Amir

In some styles of aikido the intent is to do no harm to the attacker. Intent doesn't always equal results. The potential for harm is there, but the intent is to try not to harm your attacker. It doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, I'm one of those aikido hardnuts :p

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In some styles of aikido the intent is to do no harm to the attacker. Intent doesn't always equal results. The potential for harm is there, but the intent is to try not to harm your attacker. It doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, I'm one of those aikido hardnuts :p
I bolded the key here. It's as much personal intent as it is the intent of the individual art and how they view self defense and the art in and of itself.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No harm ???

Amir
Amir, I would have to admit my ignorance, having not heard of your listed style previously. Please forgive me I am unaware of your methodologies. I will however stick to my outline of Aikido being the only art that seeks to neutralise an attack WITH THE INTENT OF causing no harm to the attacker. Of course, as morph4me has stated, it is possible, and even perhaps, likely outside the dojo, that intent and outcome diverge. Again, I am speaking from Aikikai viewpoint and the views expressed herein are not necessarily reflective of those of our sponsors.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Amir, I would have to admit my ignorance, having not heard of your listed style previously. Please forgive me I am unaware of your methodologies. I will however stick to my outline of Aikido being the only art that seeks to neutralise an attack WITH THE INTENT OF causing no harm to the attacker. Of course, as morph4me has stated, it is possible, and even perhaps, likely outside the dojo, that intent and outcome diverge. Again, I am speaking from Aikikai viewpoint and the views expressed herein are not necessarily reflective of those of our sponsors.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I know, Korindo Aikido is a very small style. And seperated from Ueshiba Aikido altoghether.

I have heard this approach from Aikikai people more then once before. I am still waiting for one to explain the contradiction between practicing a M.A. and holding on to this intent.

I believe I have also seen more then a single case in which this intent started to affect the technical execution, to the point of rendering some techniques inoperable, as locks and leverages were changed to prevent the danger to Uke\ and could no longer do anything to any non-cooperative Uke.

Amir

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know, Korindo Aikido is a very small style. And seperated from Ueshiba Aikido altoghether.

I have heard this approach from Aikikai people more then once before. I am still waiting for one to explain the contradiction between practicing a M.A. and holding on to this intent.

I believe I have also seen more then a single case in which this intent started to affect the technical execution, to the point of rendering some techniques inoperable, as locks and leverages were changed to prevent the danger to Uke\ and could no longer do anything to any non-cooperative Uke.

Amir
Amir, That is a valid point, though it is one I would have to respectfully disagree with. Personally, I would never change a technique in a FOR REAL situation simply to prevent harm to my attacker. I would never do that. Yet, at the same time, I am never at any stage ACTIVELY SEEKING to harm that attacker. If I can at all help it, he will not be greviously harmed by my technique. He may however be harmed by his own resistance. But through the execution of each and every technique, he is always offered the choice of not continuing. Believe me, I try my absolute utmost to avoid any kind of physical confrontation whatsoever. But having found myself in an attack (and yes I have), I only want to end it, not prolong it or destroy the attacker.

The techniques of the Aikikai are borne through the doctrines of O'Sensei and personally, I see no contradiction in practicing my Aikido and not seeking to hurt an opponent.

And I am not trying to set up an argument my friend but perhaps you could offer me something and tell me what your own intention is when faced with an attack, and again, I mean outside the dojo?

Thank you.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Latest Discussions