Rondori in other arts?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations!

Has anyone seen anything like randori in any other art besides Aikido?

I see other striking arts spar against two maybe even three opponents, but that's it.

Some do an exercise called Bull in the Ring, where students make a huge circle and you go inside the mush pot (center of the circle), but attacks are usually one on one and the attacks come quick.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. Consider Judo. Kano Sensei pretty much invented randori in the modern sense.

If by randori you mean the Aikido version of many-on-one practice the answer is still yes. Most comprehensive martial arts have similar ways of developing the skills and attributes for dealing with a chaotic multiple opponent fight.

AVKmcc1969

White Belt
Reaction score
We use Rondori in American Vadha Kempo. We use a one on one version that starts from on our knees, back to back. We also use the multiple attacker version from within a circle, standing up.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charyuop beat me to it. I think that the multiple attacker randori that you're talking about is a central element of Krav Maga training. During my kempo days we also did multiple attacker randori. As Tellner said, many if not most styles that are worth their salt will have some sort of randori attached to them. I've always enjoyed randori as it gives me a great chance to work on distancing and awareness.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the jujitsu i practice does it, and the Arnis I practice does it to. But I wouldn't call it art related, more a question of the what the teacher preferrs.

/Yari

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do a gradual introduction of Randori in my Ninjutsu school, starting with kumi uchi in seiza at 9th kyu and eventually ending with multiple attackers at first kyu.

S

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe the question is not what art practice this, but the art the include this in a belt test.
Knowing that in Aikido you have to do randori for your BB test means that your study has a certain focus on it and not practicing it once in a while.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's assuming you have belts and belt tests. Not everyone does. When something is on the test you'll often see it trained really hard a few weeks before the event and completely ignored afterwards.

A better question is how often and in how much depth is many-on-one training done.

Latest Discussions