What Inspires You The Most?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could name one thing about your current instructor that inspires you the most, what would it be?

If you could name one thing about a past instructor that inspired you, what would it be?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you could name one thing about your current instructor that inspires you the most, what would it be?
One thing would be hard to pick, but I guess I could choose the word passion to describe him can work. 1) he has passion about his art in itself which moves into 2) his passion for teaching is very evident when explaing new material and the concepts behind them even when teaching white belts the passion is in his eyes 3) his passion to help people improve to give them tips to fine tune things (stances, kicks ect)

My instructor loves what he does and it shows, this is one of the reasons i chose my school. I want looking for a paticular art I was looking for someone that wanted to teach and enjoyed teaching.

I hope this is what you wanted

B

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing would be hard to pick, but I guess I could choose the word passion to describe him can work. 1) he has passion about his art in itself which moves into 2) his passion for teaching is very evident when explaing new material and the concepts behind them even when teaching white belts the passion is in his eyes 3) his passion to help people improve to give them tips to fine tune things (stances, kicks ect)

My instructor loves what he does and it shows, this is one of the reasons i chose my school. I want looking for a paticular art I was looking for someone that wanted to teach and enjoyed teaching.

I hope this is what you wanted

B

Great reply!:ultracool Any past instructors you'd like to comment on? If not, thats cool too! :)

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I was to name one trait that I find inspiring with my current instruction then it would have to be his dedication to teaching. My ajahn is known as Mr. 5 to 9 to his family (not the other way around). He's up at 5am already doing his daily routine and will stick around until 9pm -- teaching and chatting with all his students. Whom most feel like his adopted kids. He creates a very family-ish oriented place.

Now if I have to think about past instructors which inspired me... Let's see. There was this one really bad Okinawan Karate instructor that promoted bad behavior and dirty-pool in competitions. I was inspired not to be like him and quit after the first month.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I have to stick to one thing??
icon12.gif
Well, i am going to be sneaky and say that besides his amazing amount of skill and experience and dedication to furthering trad CMA in Melbourne, i find his endless patience and unfailing courtesy most inspiring. I honestly don't know how he puts up with us students sometimes...

If you could name one thing about a past instructor that inspired you, what would it be?

My first teacher was brilliant at dissecting different MA's to work out how they ticked and how they related to each other etc. He always said that it didn't matter what the art, it all came down to the body in the end. I've always tried to keep that ethos in mind when absorbing new techniques and forms. :asian:

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

One of my instructors has a brilliant way of looking at a technique once and seeing past all of the little technical errors that are almost certainly present (and which most people with less experience tend to focus on) to find the one thing that changes the way you look at the technique, and that changes all other techniques too!

It's difficult to explain, but can only come from a very deep understanding of body mechanics and technique, and when it is demonstrated, feels very profound.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Since I really do not train with my instructor that much it would be that he believe enough in my abilities to train other without any interference from him

The ability to stay so limber over the years like him.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
His common sense approach to what he teaches and his precise explanations of techniques that clearly show the depth of his understanding of what he's teaching and his economy of motion.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Past Instructor: Ethics. He did what he felt to be right even if it was at personal cost to himself.
Current Instructor: Takes everything he does to its highest level that he can.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

That he continues to train, hard, after all these years with no sign of him slacking off in the near future.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That he never let me give up on myself.

Um... I've only had the one instructor for my entire 20 years...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I recogise in my iaido sensei many of the qualities that have been mentioned above, the trait I would say that most inspires me about him is his patience.

He'll tell you how to do a thing, demonstrating with great precision the salient facets and where there can go awry ... and you do it wrong ... he shows you again ... and you do it wrong ... he elaborates on 'common mistakes' that can make the technique go wrong ... and you do it wrong ... et al ad infinitum.

How he never lets it show how infuriating it must be is beyond me!

My past instructor, in empty handed arts, had great energy, the desire to win, overcoming all odds. That was held in high regard by many of his students.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Past instructor: His desire to always show people how if they believe in themselves, they can do anything.

Current: Knowledge of the art.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on all instructors I have studied with:

Their knowledge of the arts and their willingness to pass on that knowledge to those that trained hard and long

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of things. One of the most important is the real depth of Christian charity and compassion that Guru Plinck and his family have shown to strays of all sorts over the years. Over the, wow, fifteen years now that we've known them there's been a constant stream of homeless, unwanted and out of place creatures passing through their house. Cats. Dogs. Horses. Goats. Infant possums rescued from their dead mother's pouch and dropper fed every 20 minutes. At risk teen and pre-teen girls who now call Kim "Mom". There must be a Union hiring hall for strays somewhere in Southwest Washington. "The Plincks have openings for one dog, two cats and a chicken. Long term for the chicken and one of the cats."

We got our first dog from them. One Saturday morning during class a mangy starving dog walked into the garage and said "Hi! I'm hungry!" Steve fed her and they did the drill of trying to find the owner. A week or two later she said "Oh, did I tell you I was going to have eight puppies?" They found homes for all. We got the runt - the smart alert one.

My wife says that what inspires her the most is that our teacher is a world class teacher, fighter and technician who is also a really great human being with a wonderful family life.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the way to think 'outside the box' of the question Tellner :D. The rest of us were thinking, in the main, of ways in which our teachers inpsired us as MA instructors and you go and drop a humungous (sp) example of what inspires everyone as a good person :tup:.

I'm pleased to know that such people still exist and I have to say that I pray that they're not as rare as the media would have us believe.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have had five instructors now and all of them had there pluses toward my time in MAs. I am currently with my fifth instructor and although this style has similarities, it is so different. He inspires me to continue my quest towards bettering myself on a daily basis. Watching this person is simply amazing to see how he moves, so much different from anything I'm use too. I thought I was thinking outside the box previously, this instructor has definately taken me to the next level in thinking ... thank you!

My first instructor was, at the time, a new BB, just 23 years old. He is the one that got me started back in 1985, without his enthusiasm and guidance, I wouldn't be writing here today. My second instructor, 1986-87, was inspirational due to the fact that he and I were of the same general build and he was able to show me how to move properly. My third instructor, was my highest ranking instructor, at the time 6th Dan in 1988-90. He not only refined my movement, but enhanced it with his knowledge and fighting skills. He was pretty well known as a fighter within the SKK system. I worked out with a person of common rank, 1991-92. My fourth intructor coming back from a long, long lay off, inspired me to start up the study of MA again with his enthusiasm and love for the art itself. This lasted 2003-2007. Without his love for the art, I never would have put up with all the corporate BS that was going on with the art.

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
What inspires me most about my current instructor is his skill, we nicked him "The Machine" because he still kicks young black belt butts at sixty. He has a presence, you can't ignore him. You know exactly where he is in the room because you can practically feel his energy.

My past instructor unveiled a world of opportunity, she showed me that I should excel and never gave up on me. She had a never ending patience, and treated us all as equals. Her passion for teaching was evident in every word she spoke and she did so much for me she didn't have to do. She also gave me something to strive for, someone to emulate. I am ever grateful to her.

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
My current instructor is such a nice guy, never turns you down for help or information.

Old instructor was completely opposite, he was a popper, walked around with his escrima stick wacking people when they don't do it exactly they way he wanted it. I didn'y really like him personnaly, but now I find myself quoting him frequently.

Latest Discussions