What if MMA matches were fought to the death?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh and people can throw in the towl if they think that you've had enough of a hammering -try that one in a street fight - it just ain't gunna be happening is it ?????

donna

If you try to throw in the towel in a street fight your opponent will just strangle you with it. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nope :)

and that's the difference between unchoreographed street fighting and the choreographed safe mma you see on the tv.

no one would sign up for death in a age fight.

What do you mean by choreographed?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in that there are "set" moves for each MA and you learn in a comfy environment how to defend and attack against those moves knowing that they are bound by a tightly controlled rule structure whereas in a street fight there are no rules everything is fair game

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
in that there are "set" moves for each MA and you learn in a comfy environment how to defend and attack against those moves knowing that they are bound by a tightly controlled rule structure whereas in a street fight there are no rules everything is fair game

Do you feel there is a better method to prepare someone for a street fight?

Or does not training set moves gives some sort of advantage?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i agree training does help with things like awareness and to expect the unexpected but in a street scrap where anything goes then you gotta "wing it" so training in set moves whereby you know roughly what's going to come next is not going to help much for the simple fact that you don't know what's coming next.

as for an advantage - hard to say cos it's so different to anything that would happen in class. street fights often involve more than one person with / without weapons so you can train to defend against certain scenarios in class but until one the guys friends slams a bottle over the back of your head while your "doing" a rehearsed move on him - suppose you could train for that but until it happens you don't know, it's an unscripted event and very difficult to train for.

MA as a rule follows a set of rules and the moves have patterns to them of which you know what to do to counter those moves in a street fight there are no patterns to follow and what happens next is "up in the air"

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
as for better ways to practice against what happens in a street fight.............

more realistic training might be an advantage instead of training in a classroom you could train outside and get people to come at you - you can do that in a gym to. but the people that come at you in class often hold back for fear of hurting you whereas out on the street they're going to do everything possible to put you in a box - they don't hold back the more they can hurt you the more they "get off on it" --- i've never had that feeling when i'm sparring or competeing so that's different and very difficult to train for.

plus often in street fight the guy doing the attack on you will be high as a kite (drugs alcohol) and no amount of pain is going to stop him / her (girls are as bad as boys) so that's different - when we're in a gym / dojo we're all clean and sober so there's no "real world" from that aspect.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
i agree training does help with things like awareness and to expect the unexpected but in a street scrap where anything goes then you gotta "wing it" so training in set moves whereby you know roughly what's going to come next is not going to help much for the simple fact that you don't know what's coming next.

Sounds like you are saying when a real fight begins, all training goes out the window, which, with the proper training, is simply not true.

as for an advantage - hard to say cos it's so different to anything that would happen in class. street fights often involve more than one person with / without weapons so you can train to defend against certain scenarios in class but until one the guys friends slams a bottle over the back of your head while your "doing" a rehearsed move on him - suppose you could train for that but until it happens you don't know, it's an unscripted event and very difficult to train for.

MA as a rule follows a set of rules and the moves have patterns to them of which you know what to do to counter those moves in a street fight there are no patterns to follow and what happens next is "up in the air"

All martial arts techniques are rehearsed, its called 'practice', the random nature of a street fight is why you practice in class and do things over and over and over again until it comes more naturally to you so that when a random attack occurs you can deal with it accordingly.

plus often in street fight the guy doing the attack on you will be high as a kite (drugs alcohol) and no amount of pain is going to stop him / her (girls are as bad as boys) so that's different - when we're in a gym / dojo we're all clean and sober so there's no "real world" from that aspect.

The good thing about an attacker who is drunk is that they will be more off balance and uncoordinated. Every martial artist who drinks knows that a high blood/alcohol content will lower their chances of being able to successfully defend themselves so it is their choice if they want to take that chance or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as for better ways to practice against what happens in a street fight.............

more realistic training might be an advantage instead of training in a classroom you could train outside and get people to come at you - you can do that in a gym to. but the people that come at you in class often hold back for fear of hurting you whereas out on the street they're going to do everything possible to put you in a box - they don't hold back the more they can hurt you the more they "get off on it" --- i've never had that feeling when i'm sparring or competeing so that's different and very difficult to train for.

I train with guys who will quite readily beat me until I cry. Not because they hate me but because that is what they are there to do. When we spar serious buisness. It is not fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If MMA matches were fought to the death here in Massachusetts I can almost guarantee there would be at least one MMA judge who would cause a split decision. :)

Latest Discussions