What fiction book are you currently reading?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, no, Moore, compared to Shakespeare...

I am sure the F-bomb is not new, though I wonder when it made it's way into everyday speech!

(funny you mentioned Willy's lack of usage of the F-bomb: From Wiki
While Shakespeare never used the term explicitly; he hinted at it in comic scenes in a few plays. The Merry Wives of Windsor (IV.i) contains the expression focative case (see vocative case). In Henry V (IV.iv), Pistol threatens to firk (strike) a soldier, a euphemism for ****.
)

:lfao:

Last edited:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. My library lists it as young adult fiction. I wouldn't.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. My library lists it as young adult fiction. I wouldn't.

Sometimes I wonder how they classify all that stuff!

I was searching for Eion Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' in the YA section - no luck, all the followup books were there tho...it's in the regular fiction aisle...go figure!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. Charlie Higson's Young Bond series is called young adult, but it's clearly written and paced like a modern thriller. It's got grizzly death, torture, in one book (Blood Fever) the villain rots away before you eyes as the book progresses as a result of an injury he gets hijacking a ship.

Never got the YA thing.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently, I just started "Game of Thrones". So far I'm only about 100 or so pages into it and it is good, not alot of action so far, but the way it is written it still pulls you into the plots.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. Charlie Higson's Young Bond series is called young adult, but it's clearly written and paced like a modern thriller. It's got grizzly death, torture, in one book (Blood Fever) the villain rots away before you eyes as the book progresses as a result of an injury he gets hijacking a ship.

Never got the YA thing.

I suppose it keeps the humping and fornicating in the books to a minimum....I don't think some of the books were meant for young readers at all...

Seems to be the gray area between picture books and actual chapter books.

(also, I don't like the children's section being walled off much either...some good stuff in there, but you feel like a perv going in there...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently, I just started "Game of Thrones". So far I'm only about 100 or so pages into it and it is good, not alot of action so far, but the way it is written it still pulls you into the plots.

Oh man what a ride you are gonna be in for. Best part is GRRM leave so much of it out there with foreshadowing, red herrings, misdirections, etc that you will be surprised at every turn, guaranteed.

As for the Bond thing Gran. They tried to keep the sex out of it, but it's Bond novels so there's a fair bit of torture in a couple of them and "the incident with the maid" that got him kicked out of college is shown in the last 2 books of the series and how it eventually leads him to joining the Navy. So even when they try to keep it vague, the sex is still there.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read all three books of the hunger games this weekend. I could not put them down.
Loved the first book, the second book was good, the third book had a really screwed up ending in my opinion.. I am left thinking it was screwed up... who knows..

I want to dive into the game of thrones books, but know nothing about how many there are or where to start, and I also want to jump into the old Conan books as I have never even read one and am more and more excited about the new Conan movie every day

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh man what a ride you are gonna be in for. Best part is GRRM leave so much of it out there with foreshadowing, red herrings, misdirections, etc that you will be surprised at every turn, guaranteed.

As for the Bond thing Gran. They tried to keep the sex out of it, but it's Bond novels so there's a fair bit of torture in a couple of them and "the incident with the maid" that got him kicked out of college is shown in the last 2 books of the series and how it eventually leads him to joining the Navy. So even when they try to keep it vague, the sex is still there.

LOL, no, I mean, like the girly lit. By the time the doing is done you know the exact number of pubes the participants have, according to a friend of mine. Not in a guy kind of thinking: They got together, shagged, left....:lfao:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just read all three books of the hunger games this weekend. I could not put them down.
Loved the first book, the second book was good, the third book had a really screwed up ending in my opinion.. I am left thinking it was screwed up... who knows..

I want to dive into the game of thrones books, but know nothing about how many there are or where to start, and I also want to jump into the old Conan books as I have never even read one and am more and more excited about the new Conan movie every day

Ditto on the old Conan. I have read many, but missed alot too of the originals. Here is an all-in-one book with all of Howard's original Conan stories.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Chro...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307382712&sr=1-2

It is alot cheaper than trying to track down the 14 volume set from Ace/Lancer that were published in the late 60's with stories and modifications done by Sprague and Carter.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good book. I read a copy before I even know that it was classified as youth fiction.
Yeah, I really liked it. I searched online and saw there were sequels in 2008 and 2010, so I went to my library's website to request them. Holy Crap. I'm 28th and 31st on the list(s)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I really liked it. I searched online and saw there were sequels in 2008 and 2010, so I went to my library's website to request them. Holy Crap. I'm 28th and 31st on the list(s)

I've read Catching Fire and didn't like it as much as Hunger Games, but it's still worth reading. I'll definitely read the final book at some point.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's easy, the first book is Game Of Thrones, the newest book coming out this summer is A Dance Of Dragons. There are also ancillary works that fall before the events of the novels, like The Hedge Knight that takes place almost 50 years before.

As for Conan, yes, I am also excited about the upcoming film. In fact I can say that the only movies I truly want to see this summer in order are Conan, GL and Captain America.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished all of the Dresden Files novels. Yeah, I sat down and read the entire series back to back... But to be fair it was only 11 novels, not like discworld or anything.

I just ordered Steven Brust's first 5 Vlad Taltos novels. I read the first couple probaly 10 years ago, and I saw he has recently released a few new ones, so I thought I would re-read the ones I read, and then read the rest.

And for Firefly Fans, or (Brust fans, take your pick) he has written and released for free on his Website a short Firefly novelette that you can download and read. I thought it was pretty decent, I think he really captured the feel of the characters, even if I felt he made too much reference to the Serenity movie.

http://dreamcafe.com/firefly.html

Latest Discussions