What exactly is a Chodanbo belt in Taekwondo?

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So since my black belt test is coming up really soon and as of 8/26/16 I hold the status of a "Chodanbo belt" I just want to know more about it. How much better will I be considered. Is Chodanbo belt a color belt? I'm assuming all you guys know that it's mostly black with a stripe of white.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
How much better will you be considered? Belts aren't always a reflection of skill. You will be considered the same skill you were the day before you tested. As far as the whole Chodanbo thing. I was that belt about two weeks ago. For us it means a type of "probationary" black belt. It counts as a colored belt. Our belt is half red and half black. Our instructor says those with that belt are black belt candidates.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How much better will you be considered? Belts aren't always a reflection of skill. You will be considered the same skill you were the day before you tested. As far as the whole Chodanbo thing. I was that belt about two weeks ago. For us it means a type of "probationary" black belt. It counts as a colored belt. Our belt is half red and half black. Our instructor says those with that belt are black belt candidates.

Oh okay thanks. My master never explained that to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes instructors forget that not everyone knows or they assume you know so they overlook telling you.

Yeah. Also the Master who gave me the belt has a really heavy accent so maybe he just didn't know how to tell me. Now I'm in a new TKD school and the Master probably assumes I know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since my black belt test is coming up really soon and as of 8/26/16 I hold the status of a "Chodanbo belt" I just want to know more about it. How much better will I be considered. Is Chodanbo belt a color belt? I'm assuming all you guys know that it's mostly black with a stripe of white.

Specifics vary somewhat, but...
"chodanbo belt" is redundant. The rank is chodanbo. It means, literally, half a Dan, or half a black belt. The concept is that of a probationary black belt or black belt candidate.
The color is entirely up to the school. Ours are half red, half black.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Made up belt color to charge a testing fee?

All belt ranks are "made up" in the sense that they have little, if any, meaning outside the issuing school and are entirely optional as far as training goes.
However, this is insulting. Our school, which uses this rank for a very specific reason (explained several times in other posts) is non-commercial. We have no financial motivation. Testing fees, for example, are either donated to the YMCA or used to purchase equipment (like floor mats).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually 초단 (chodan) means pre-dan. Source - Korean is my first language.

OK. However, my KJN, who is also a native speaker disagrees. What I posted is how he explained it to me.
I know there are lots of things that do not translate directly from Korean to English. This seems to be one of them, given the difference between the literal translation and the conceptual meaning.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think those were called 지르기 in general. With different prefixes depending on targets and movement.
I think he means pulling / reaction hand, 당겨, as in 당겨턱지르기? But not actively pulling. What do we call the pulling hand when it is not pulling anything?

Latest Discussions