Top 5 Deadliest Martial Arts in the World

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry any martial art that lets a tween kill armed drug dealers is the deadliest :p

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all Seriousness though I would have thought Kenjutsu, HEMA, FMA, Krabi-krabong etc would have been on the top of the list because, well, swords and stuff.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Top 5 Deadliest Martial Arts in the World

I'm never 100% sure what your intention is when posting videos with no context… are you saying you believe or agree with the video's assessment? Is it because you don't agree with it, and are presenting it as something funny (as the two ratings attached so far seem to feel)? Do you expect a debate on the merits of the choices, against other beliefs on the forum? Do you just really like the soundtrack?

My point is, a clip by itself, without any context, in the most generic area of the forum (General Martial Arts Talk) doesn't really let us know where you expect this conversation to go… perhaps you could accompany any future ones with some comments so we know where you stand on it as well?

That said… it's idiocy. There are 5 arts chosen (Shotokan, JKD, Sanshou, Krav Maga, Kyokushinkai), however none of them are even "deadly" in the first place, let alone "the deadliest"… Krav Maga would be the closest, with it's military context and background. The video clips chosen to represent the arts themselves is terrible… the Shotokan one includes a number of clips from tournaments that may or may nor feature Shotokan itself… the JKD one was just clips of Bruce Lee from his movies (not JKD itself), Sanshou was more about it being a Chinese MMA than anything unique to the methods found there, the Krav clips included clips of Aikido and Quantum Jiujitsu (as well as other non-Krav Maga clips), and the Kyokushin clips included Savate… so even the clips chosen were inaccurate in pretty much all cases.

By far the biggest issue, of course, is that there is no criteria applied, no way of discerning how such a list was put together… and that each of the arts are notably non-lethal in pretty much all aspects of the arts themselves (with the exception of Krav Maga when dealing with firearms… but even then, it's more focused on defence against, rather than lethal response). I mean… this is a list of the "deadliest" martial arts… and none of them are lethal in form or intent. But some are…

Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu was founded by Musashi Miyamoto… and is based on his experience killing many people he met over his duelling career…

Bokuden Ryu, Kashima Shinryu, and many others attributed to Tsukahara Bokuden would also qualify… as Bokuden was said to have engaged (successfully) in some 20 duels, and nearly 40 battles… with (according to the Bokuden Ryu) at least 200 confirmed enemies killed by his sword.

Many of the FMA systems have their origins in actual, bloody use of knives and blades…

The AMOK system of knife work has it's source in the violent streets of South Africa…

Many of the various HEMA systems teach outright lethal usage of various weapons in a number of contexts…

Morishige Ryu, Yo Ryu etc are systems of firearm usage...

If you haven't noted the common thread here, by and large, if an art is unarmed, it is not "deadly", let alone "deadliest"… for that, you really do need to look to the weaponry systems.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was surprised Japanese Ju Jutsu wasn't there. "Authentic" JJJ of course :)

Recognising you're trying to be funny, most classical systems would certainly be far more "deadly" than anything on the clip… or BJJ… mainly as, well, there are weapons involved.

Takenouchi Ryu Kogusoku Koshi no Mawari (Jujutsu)

Tenjin Shin'yo Ryu Jujutsu (a source school for Judo)

Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu (note that the "deadly" aspect is the weaponry…)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think hema is out because who carries a sword?

Jujutsu is out because white dudes with pony tales...

I think gun fu is deadliest.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think hema is out because who carries a sword?

Irrelevant. A system is no less deadly because it's not suited to a modern context, if the basis is lethal methodologies.

Jujutsu is out because white dudes with pony tales…

What? You're not even making your own cracked form of sense there…

I think gun fu is deadliest.

A movie. Good choice. (btw, Steve, that is sarcasm…)

You know something, Steve? I was willing to let things go in this thread, despite your baiting earlier, but it seems you are determined to be a self-righteous, ignorant, poor sport, tiny little, petty jerk. I've said this before, but really, you need to grow up. You just look like a sad child.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Chris, it's a lighthearted thread that no one is taking too seriously. Stop mucking it up.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it was intended to be light hearted (comedy), it's in the wrong section. The fact that I chose to approach the subject with some degree of intelligence and thought is not me "mucking it up"… your petty digs, abuse of the rating system, and, frankly, childish attitude, on the other hand…

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Gun fu is only deadly if you have a gun... But what if you're unarmed?

Answer? Gym kata:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If it was intended to be light hearted (comedy), it's in the wrong section. The fact that I chose to approach the subject with some degree of intelligence and thought is not me "mucking it up"… your petty digs, abuse of the rating system, and, frankly, childish attitude, on the other hand…
I can point to lighthearted threads in every su forum in the site. Chris, you're stalking me and looking for a fight, and you're blatantly violating the ToS by personally attacking me. Please stop.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're kidding, yeah? You reference me before I'm even here, you aggressively pursue me through ratings (you and Tames D), I left you out of my initial posts entirely despite your baiting, and only engaged you when you directly referenced my post… but I'm stalking you?!?

Grow up. Get over whatever damn issue you have going on.

Latest Discussions