What does "your" JKD look like?

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
From reading on the web and talking to a few folks, it would appear one could find JKD looking rather different from place to place. That being said Im curious what your's looks like? Where I train it would look like:

1. Strong side forward.
2. Lot's of drills on stop hits/ kicks.
3. Lots of pad work/ boxing drills.
4. Some BJJ recently.
5. Very little trapping or take downs.
6. No weapons.

My instructor used to be much more into trapping and got away from it. He wants to utilize less techs, but hit very hard on those that we do use. So, how is it where you train?

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My JKD looks like crap right now because i am in bed drowning in multiple perscription drugs (where's the damn KLEENEX!)

When I was actively practicing it it was:
*Warm ups with purpose (shadow drills, striking kicking warmups).
*Technical series (designed to teach you what to do)
*Technical progression (taking the technical series and advancing them so that you learn to apply them in new and exciting ways)
*Play time ( this is that part of the class where everyone puts on the smallest gloves they could find and deludes themselves into being safe while systematically trying to take the other guy's head off).

Weapons in the class were usually seen later in the skill progression as the instructor wanted people to concentrate on the core cirriculum.

If anyone happens to land in Rhode Island and needs a good JKD place to call home... http://derderian-academy.com

Regards,
Walt...aka sniffles

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cfr said:
1. Strong side forward.

Yes to #1, but my main JKD instructor doesn't emphasize stop hits as much (though of course we do do them). I'm currently away from home for work and training with another JFGF/JKD instructor who puts a moderate amount of emphasis on them.

4. Some BJJ recently.

Yes on #3, but at both places where I take JKD there is a separate BJJ or grappling class. So, at my main instructor's school, most everyone studies both JKD and BJJ, which is encouraged, but the BJJ is not technically done during the JKD class. During BJJ he will sometimes mix them together to illustrate how they fit.

6. No weapons.

We do a lot of trapping at both places where I take JKD. At the main school we do some wrestling-style takedowns, and at the other some jujutsu-style takedowns. As to weapons, both schools do a lot with stick and knife, though where I'm visiting it's also a separate class that one is encouraged to take alongside JKD, so we don't do it actually in the JKD segment as often as we would otherwise.

See also this thread.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. Strong side forward.
4. Some BJJ recently.
6. No weapons.
1.We do the strong side forward to begin with, but as time moves on, we work in the weak side forward as well, to encourage ambidexterity.

2.Our drilling is more focused on energy drills, developing contact awareness, and intercepting.

3. Yes, pad work, boxing drills, evasiveness.

4. Grappling has been a part of the program from the beginning. Not limited to BJJ, but yes, working on the ground, incorporating weapons, stick grappling, standing grappling, lock flows, joint manipulation, body manipulation, throwing, destructions.

5. Again, trapping has been a fundamental part of the curriculum, relating it to intercepting, destructions, locking, throwing, knife and stick work.

6. Lots of weapon work. Batons on the first day. Mainly FMA canes, knives and later, sibat.

I think the main difference here is that my JKD is blended with Modern Arnis at the core, and the 2 seem to complement each other nicely. That's about how it looks.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I think the main difference here is that my JKD is blended with Modern Arnis at the core, and the 2 seem to complement each other nicely. That's about how it looks.

That sounds like a lot of fun! JKD Sibat training sounds fun...can you jik chung chuie with a six foot pole ? ;-)

Regards,
Walt

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, my "style" of JKD is heavily personalized to suit my fighting abilities. Me, being a believer in Bruce Lee's teachings, I made my own modifications to his JKD:

1. I make use of my long legs to execute fast and fancy kicks taken from Karate, Savate, and Muay Thai.
2. Narrower On-Guard stance to allow more speed and mobility.
3. Very fast execution and recovery of kicks.
4. Emphasis on smooth evasion, footwork, and deceptive feints.
5. Punches are used to 'set up' for the more powerful kicks.
6. South paw (strong side forward) of course.
7. No real trapping or hand immobilization, but plenty of slipping, and parrying.
8. Knowledge of the ranges of fighting, also make a point to maintain kicking range.
9. Concentration on flexibility, speed, and agility exercises.
10. Stop-hit and Stop-kick are strongly emphasized.

This is a variation of JKD with an emphasis on stylish kicks. Strongly rooted in Savate, special attention is paid to develop elegant movement and leg flexibility. The rationale is that the leg is the longest and strongest weapon a martial artist has, and kicks thus have the greatest potential to strike without retaliation. Now it's obvious that not everyone can practice this particular method of fighting, but it works great for me and that's what matters. I tried Bruce Lee's method and it just didn't work because my arms are too long and most of my opponents are shorter than me. Bruce even said himself:

"Of my art--gung fu and jeet kune do--only one of 10,000 can handle it. It is martial art. Complete offensive attacks. It is silly to think that almost anyone can learn it. It isn't really contemporary forms of the art I teach. Mainly that which I work with--martial attack. It is really a smooth rhythmic expression of smashing the guy before he hits you, with any method available." -page 59 of Jeet Kune Do Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way.

bladenosh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
From reading on the web and talking to a few folks, it would appear one could find JKD looking rather different from place to place. That being said Im curious what your's looks like? Where I train it would look like:

1. Strong side forward.
4. Some BJJ recently.
6. No weapons.

My instructor used to be much more into trapping and got away from it. He wants to utilize less techs, but hit very hard on those that we do use. So, how is it where you train?

I am not too educated on specific Jeet Kune Do. Although, I remember hearing a quote from Bruce Lee stating Jeet Kune Do is a dynamic fighting style for your body type. You create what works naturally and flows for you. While not being trained in Jeet Kune Do, I used this as a model to develope strategies that compliment my body's advantages.
I am 6'2" and 160-170lb. My advantages, are sharp precise elbows, long femur, double jointed hips, long arms, and a strong grip. My right arm is my strong hand, with enough knockout power in a jab, so I stand goofy with my right in front. My left hand is decently strong, but has an great power punch and leg blocks. My main disadvantage is an not so flexible hamstring, consequently few of my kicks remain powerful above chest level and a roundhouse is out of the question.
I dabbled in Kenpo (mainly for ranged standup), Karate and Muy Thai (for clenches), and Jui Jitsu (Superior to wrestling simply because of the comfort of the back and emphasis on flexibility).
I'm always working for improvement in all areas of fighting. My main focus is being well rounded, and initially skipping what seems to be benign. Being well rounded, I can see someones body structure and attempt to use mine as an advantage. If someone is stout and muscular, range is my friend. If someone works his kicks, and out boxes me then I'll go closer in range and focus on elbow and knee work. Jui Jitsu is a last minute resort if I do end up on my back, although it remains my favorite and most important; it is seldomly needed.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am not too educated on specific Jeet Kune Do. Although, I remember hearing a quote from Bruce Lee stating Jeet Kune Do is a dynamic fighting style for your body type. You create what works naturally and flows for you. While not being trained in Jeet Kune Do, I used this as a model to develope strategies that compliment my body's advantages.

A good analogy to remember is that Jeet Kune Do can be compared to a car. There are many different types of cars, but they all have four wheels, a passanger compartment, and an engine. If they lack this basic structure then it is not a car. While many people have come up with fantastic cross training regimens that teach well rounded combat skills... if it does not have the basic elements of Jeet Kune Do...then it isn't JKD. Period. It is your own personal fighting style... Which by the way sounds like a lot of fun. Who do you train with currently to mix all those things together (kempo, Muy Thai, and Jiu-Jitsu)?

Regards,
Walt

bladenosh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
A good analogy to remember is that Jeet Kune Do can be compared to a car. There are many different types of cars, but they all have four wheels, a passanger compartment, and an engine. If they lack this basic structure then it is not a car. While many people have come up with fantastic cross training regimens that teach well rounded combat skills... if it does not have the basic elements of Jeet Kune Do...then it isn't JKD. Period. It is your own personal fighting style... Which by the way sounds like a lot of fun. Who do you train with currently to mix all those things together (kempo, Muy Thai, and Jiu-Jitsu)?

Regards,
Walt

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I never actually classified it as Jeet Kune Do, because of my lack of information, but I knew it was similar.

My first training for the logic of fighting came with my first game of chess at 5 years old which caught my interest into strategy and thinking under multiple persectives.
The beginning of my actual martial arts training dates back to my first conscience fight. We all fight in the early years of school, but I never concentrated until a perspective change in an 8th grade fight when I first actually even cared if I won. He was a big kid, more fat than strong, but intimidating to me none the less. I strategized as with chess, and anticipated long before the fight, what he would do. Because of his body type and lack of knowledge of the fight, I assumed it would be an immediate tackle, his body in torpedo position. Most importantly, I knew he would attack first, attempting to overwhelm me. As amateur and unexperienced as I was at the time, my assumption was correct, and the fight basically ended with an immediate knee to his face as he was just going to make contact with me followed by an instinctive hammerfist to his kidney region. I was taken down, of course, and he was on top, but beyond disoriented, so I easily flipped him over, put him into the only submission I knew at the time which was a full nelson and he cried. At that moment, I realized I won off my animal instinct and acquired logic. Opening my eyes to the thrill of fighting compared to chess (fighting is just like a fast paced physical chess game). So I began my research of different styles complimenting my body style, with the help of other friends. Of course some had experience in boxing and wrestling, but none in martial arts. Fortunately, my dad is a black belt in Karate, so he helped me along a bit.
My training consisted of studying what people do, when I do a certain move, while fighting. So maining it was studying videos, working with a peer partner on the legitamacy in real life situations and to test what instinctive defenses the victim would have. Mainly to move it along. I saw strengths in those certain fighting styles. Kenpo has great defense to attack techniques and is quite easy to learn to a certain level not to mention knockout power from awkward angles (keep in mind, I am absolutely no blackbelt in any of these arts.) for my standup, muy thai and karate intrigued me because of the use of unconventional striking at a range most people arent used to, and jui jitsi was acquired by sparing with wrestlers. I realized wrestlers have no submission from the ground, but jui jitsu is deadly from all positions.
I trained mainly from sparring and testing would I assumed I could and could not do. I havent had the oppurtunity to be graced with someone who could specifically train these, but I do have plenty of friends willing to spar and a sponge of a brain. I have a friend who is a amateur champion muy thai fighter, father trained in jui jitsu and extensively in karate, and the kenpo was trained solo but has remained effective in many situations for me.

bladenosh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
bladenosh said:
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I never actually classified it as Jeet Kune Do, because of my lack of information, but I knew it was similar.

My first training for the logic of fighting came with my first game of chess at 5 years old which caught my interest into strategy and thinking under multiple persectives.
The beginning of my actual martial arts training dates back to my first conscience fight. We all fight in the early years of school, but I never concentrated until a perspective change in an 8th grade fight when I first actually even cared if I won. He was a big kid, more fat than strong, but intimidating to me none the less. I strategized as with chess, and anticipated long before the fight, what he would do. Because of his body type and lack of knowledge of the fight, I assumed it would be an immediate tackle, his body in torpedo position. Most importantly, I knew he would attack first, attempting to overwhelm me. As amateur and unexperienced as I was at the time, my assumption was correct, and the fight basically ended with an immediate knee to his face as he was just going to make contact with me followed by an instinctive hammerfist to his kidney region. I was taken down, of course, and he was on top, but beyond disoriented, so I easily flipped him over, put him into the only submission I knew at the time which was a full nelson and he cried. At that moment, I realized I won off my animal instinct and acquired logic. Opening my eyes to the thrill of fighting compared to chess (fighting is just like a fast paced physical chess game). So I began my research of different styles complimenting my body style, with the help of other friends. Of course some had experience in boxing and wrestling, but none in martial arts. Fortunately, my dad is a black belt in Karate, so he helped me along a bit.
My training consisted of studying what people do, when I do a certain move, while fighting. So maining it was studying videos, working with a peer partner on the legitamacy in real life situations and to test what instinctive defenses the victim would have. Mainly to move it along. I saw strengths in those certain fighting styles. Kenpo has great defense to attack techniques and is quite easy to learn to a certain level not to mention knockout power from awkward angles (keep in mind, I am absolutely no blackbelt in any of these arts.) for my standup, muy thai and karate intrigued me because of the use of unconventional striking at a range most people arent used to, and jui jitsi was acquired by sparing with wrestlers. I realized wrestlers have no submission from the ground, but jui jitsu is deadly from all positions.
I trained mainly from sparring and testing would I assumed I could and could not do. I havent had the oppurtunity to be graced with someone who could specifically train these, but I do have plenty of friends willing to spar and a sponge of a brain. I have a friend who is a amateur champion muy thai fighter, father trained in jui jitsu and extensively in karate, and the kenpo was trained solo but has remained effective in many situations for me.

"Kenpo has great defense to attack techniques and is quite easy to learn to a certain level not to mention knockout power from awkward angles (keep in mind, I am absolutely no blackbelt in any of these arts.) "

Should be "Kenpo has great defense to attack techniques and is quite easy to learn to a certain level(keep in mind, I am absolutely no blackbelt in any of these arts.),not to mention knockout power from awkward angles!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also, my JKD generally doesn't have any kicking higher than the solar plexus. I have found that the higher kicking requires a whole lot of maintanance to keep up, and with the little time I have these days for training, I'm better off spending my time on other stuff. Besides, under most circumstances, high kicking violates the principle of nearest weapon to closest target. Or so I tell myself....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Also, my JKD generally doesn't have any kicking higher than the solar plexus. I have found that the higher kicking requires a whole lot of maintanance to keep up, and with the little time I have these days for training, I'm better off spending my time on other stuff. Besides, under most circumstances, high kicking violates the principle of nearest weapon to closest target. Or so I tell myself....

Same here... the things that I used to do compared to the things that I'm able to do now... sheesh... getting old sucks. At least I still got my speed. ... somewhat. :rolleyes:

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Same here... the things that I used to do compared to the things that I'm able to do now... sheesh... getting old sucks. At least I still got my speed. ... somewhat. :rolleyes:

Let the kids have all the speed and what not...I like being old and sneaky...

Regards,
Walt

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Beans and cabbage...I don't think me eating something like that and going to class would be in anyones benefit.

Regards,
Walt

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
cfr said:

1. Strong side forward.
4. Some BJJ recently.
6. No weapons.

1) Of course but both sides are trained.

2) Yes, but most drills are focused on "all" of the 5 ways of attack either singularly and some in combination.

3) Of course.

4) Yes but I've trained BJJ all along since I began JKD.

5) NO. Less usage of trapping would mean not practicing enough HIA. Besides I was training heavily in "intercepting/trapping." And I work the clinch quite a bit where intercepting/trapping leads to clinch which leads to either Trad. Ju Jitsu locks and holds or take downs which lead the BJJ.

6) No. Every martial art and artist should have at 1 or more "practical" weapons. The two I prefer are a 22" Serrada cane and a short , sharp knife.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
5) NO. Less usage of trapping would mean not practicing enough HIA. Besides I was training heavily in "intercepting/trapping." And I work the clinch quite a bit where intercepting/trapping leads to clinch which leads to either Trad. Ju Jitsu locks and holds or take downs which lead the BJJ.

6) No. Every martial art and artist should have at 1 or more "practical" weapons. The two I prefer are a 22" Serrada cane and a short , sharp knife.

Whats HIA? You are right about number 6. The two I prefer are my .38 and my baseball bat.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
akja said:

Sorry I didnt ask this all at once. What do you think is "enough" trapping? While we do work a lot on interception (stop hit\ kick) we dont do much actual trapping in the typical sense of the word.

Latest Discussions