What does "your" JKD look like?

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jeet kunu Do the way of the intercepting fist-1) single angle attack 2) attack by draw 3 )attack by combo 4 )attack by Idirect then progress added (1965 to ways) 5 ) progresive indirect attack 6) hand imoblise attack.These were set to break of the static ways of karate-judo-aikido-wing chun-ect.Having heavy enfluance in Epie to have lead forward & head to to attacks.Boxing gave it the 5 attacks of hook-jab-cross-back fist & upper cut.Now as Bruce said we can not puch or kick japanese or chinese or korean.We do have the same arms & legs & we all punch & kick the same (round line -curve line-straight line) but how we get there is up to us & how we use our bodies to the max & espress our own ways is very hard to do.To do forms & katas & take on ways of theachers is not exspressing your self.This is very hard to do so Unless we grow 2 more arms & legs there realy isnts a differant punching style.This is what jkd looks like.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
By an M.O., I'm speaking 'modus operandi'.
I'll just say that Bruce was about being 'fluid', and not just in his physical movement....but his conceptual discipline- 'no way as way'.

I'm sorry, but the question of the thread starter conflicts with my impressions of what I think JKD is about(but then, I may be totally wrong- I will allow that).
I'd also say that it is commendable on how so many people debate 'what Bruce meant',,, I think it shows our respect for him, his unique philosophy, and our desire to try and defend his legacy.

Commendable? Do you really think someone as wise as he is (from what I've heard) would want people debating what he meant decades ago? Do you really think he'd want you wasting your time hammering on the keyboard when you could be spending time with your family, reading philosophy, training, etc? Is this really what he intended? Hell, Im at work right now and should be doing what Im paid for, but do you see my point?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
cfr said:
Commendable? Do you really think someone as wise as he is (from what I've heard) would want people debating what he meant decades ago? Do you really think he'd want you wasting your time hammering on the keyboard when you could be spending time with your family, reading philosophy, training, etc? Is this really what he intended? Hell, Im at work right now and should be doing what Im paid for, but do you see my point?
In all fairness, discussion boards are made for discussion. I see your point, but let's not forget why we're here. :asian:

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bruce did have guides while we traind basic-sifu.Now the no way as way (ment- dont use kata or forms or emulate to fight but use you not a mirror image as it can shatter & reflect all motion)The be formless shapeless like water.Was (plyablity to the hard & hard to the soft attacks.)Water can be both.The statement use what is usefull & reject the useless ment( if you see a twist kick for example in tkd. & you can deploy it no telgraphic & scientific & siplistic then use it to the situation that arises.)This to other ment its a licence to go study all arts to fullest -get all ranks to fullest & charge moo koo bucks for you have concepts or progressive or other,But you will never have JKD.

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:

I did not say that Master Lee would have thought it commendable that we discuss this. He might find it humorless, or color-less,, but since he was known to have a large ego, he might feel honored in one sense, and he also might want to test your JKD for its effectiveness.

I do find it commendable that people respect the man and the philosophy to such a degree, that we continue to show our honor by engaging what are obviously redundant debates.
Yes, I could have immersed myself(on my day off), on some politics discussion forums, trying to solve an uncertain future for earths inhabitants, but I needed a break.

Since I've never visited a martial art discussion forum ever, and have long had an affinity toward Master Lee's philosophy(and knew someone at the Groton Submarine base years back who trained in Dallas with someone who might have been an original student- and this guy really knew his stuff, sensitivity exercises, etc), I somehow felt it incumbent to chime in
due to my strict interpretation.
*I know where you guys are coming from(I see the distinction being made), but I still maintain my initial comments.:asian:

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
* South Paw* (although i try to change it up after some combos)

*footwork* (mostly smooth evasiveness with some use of feints) as well as getting in a good position for attacks and counter attacks.

*broken rhythm attacks*

*BOB drills* just striking like boxing/kick boxing/muay thai

*sparring* just with training partners

not too much trapping or takedowns

very little BJJ

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
1. Strong side forward.
2. Lot's of drills on stop hits/ kicks.
3. Lots of pad work/ boxing drills.
4. Some BJJ recently.
5. Very little trapping or take downs.
6. No weapons.

Well, I have 2 JKD instructors. I happen to live close enough to the Inosanto academy it commute and learn from time to time. But I also have a student of his whom owns a school in my city as well.

1. We practice strong side forward, however Guro Inosanto has often stated that the fighters of the future will be ambidextrious... so he heavily emphasis being equal on both sides rather than having a "strong side". So in short, we practice both.

2. yes, we have JKD/Kickboxing combinations at our academy that do incorporate stop hits. Drilling of the stop hits is typically incorpated in sparring.

3. Pad work with the Thai pads is heavily Muay Thai influenced. Pad work with the mits is more geared towards SAA, PIA, etc.

4. BJJ at our academy is often used as a transition from the trapping range withuse of takedowns... as Bruce believed in grappling as a means of finishing the opponent, as written in the Tao. From time to time we practice from the guard, mount, side-mount, etc... but not the same way as we do in BJJ.

5. Trapping is heavily influenced in our school. We do chi sao drills along with Mok Jong drills, depending on your level in the system. There are also trapping partner drills we go through as well, alongside trapping to takedown drills.

6. Weapons we often are doing Kali. Single stick, double stick, knife, etc. I don't really see this as being fundamental to JKD, but alot fo the Kali techniques can be applied empty handed as well... thus giving (atleast me) a better understanding of the techniques.

All in all.... it really depends on what time of the year it is. We often have workshops where we may focus on Savate, Muay Thai.... or whatever, depending. :asian:

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
lately i've been really into progressive indirect attacks. and stop hits and stop kicks.

i really need to work on my chi sao drilling. any advice anyone???

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to work with a partner as often as possible on Chi Sao, senitivity drills are important to keep up with. Without a partner my Chi Sao kinda goes to sleep until I start working with someone again. Keep association with your instructor to help if things get sloppy or you just need some coaching. I miss training with my instructor as often as I used to. Fook'em if they can't take a Jut. LOL. llllooollll, how are things going? You train at Rons place now or elsewhere? PEACE JIMI

Latest Discussions