What does an online bully look like to you?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i would tell them to find one of the bad guys and make hamburger helper out of her face. Then dare ANYONE to talk some more smack about her.

it would end, and she would never get convicted. Not here.

there are lines you simply DO NOT CROSS, and there aint nothng wrong with reminding people of that from time to time when needed

we have really wussed out as a nation.....

this whole conversation reminds me of the scene in the godfather where the undertaker comes to vito corleone for justice.

dont go crying to the police. Handle It.

Twin Fist, can I ask please what would be your advice to any of your younger female family members who were being hassled, harrassed, stalked and having rumours about them spread online? Would you understand why this kind of thing which is only words sent through Facebook or across cellphones might upset them? If it were your younger sister or cousin maybe what would your advice to them be knowing how difficult it can be to ignore and knowing how cruel especially young people and teenagers can be sometimes? Is it not different for you because you are naturally of a tougher disposition? Maybe not everyone can be this way?? I do not know.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
or he could have beat the snot out of one of them and the rest would prob have left him alone.

you have to be weak or broken on a fundamental level to let the words of strangers get to you THAT MUCH

rather than sit around and cry, how about getting some payback?

people like that would have let the japs get away with pearl harbor.

FIGHT BACK

quit being a victim

TF, if it was only online, it would have been different. This was a 19yo being tormented via phone (multiple girls from cells (texts), home phones, work lines), at school, at home, on the street, anywhere he was seen. Webpage set up to humiliate him. He was living with an aunt and uncle because his adopted parents had passed away. You wouldn't believe what they said about his Aunt and Uncle or his deceased parents etc... Round the clock harrassment. He should have gone to the police before the suicide attempt.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thinking about what can bring someone to say that.

what brings me to say that? the hard learned knowledge that the world is a tough place, you either get tough or you are a victim.

the bad guys are like tigers, and tigers do not concern themselves with the feelings of thier prey.

you can choose to be a gazelle or not.

I choose not.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
or he could have beat the snot out of one of them and the rest would prob have left him alone.

you have to be weak or broken on a fundamental level to let the words of strangers get to you THAT MUCH

FIGHT BACK

quit being a victim

You would beat the snot out of a bunch of girls? That wouldn't go over well in court with a background in MA.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i would tell them to find one of the bad guys and make hamburger helper out of her face. Then dare ANYONE to talk some more smack about her.

I don't believe you. Someone with a MA background beating the crap out of someone who hasn't laid a finger on you is going to get you arrested for assault.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
did i say I WOULD DO THAT?
no

i was speakign of the hypothetical person in the example.

clearly I would not hit a female myself

DUH

You would beat the snot out of a bunch of girls? That wouldn't go over well in court with a background in MA.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
read what i wrote

"i would tell them to "

i didnt say i would do anything, i was asked how i would advise my daughter.

thats twice

is english your first language? or did you not read the posts i was responding to?

I don't believe you. Someone with a MA background beating the crap out of someone who hasn't laid a finger on you is going to get you arrested for assault.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score

FIGHT BACK

quit being a victim

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Monroe
TF, if it was only online, it would have been different. This was a 19yo being tormented via phone (multiple girls from cells (texts), home phones, work lines), at school, at home, on the street, anywhere he was seen. Webpage set up to humiliate him. He was living with an aunt and uncle because his adopted parents had passed away. You wouldn't believe what they said about his Aunt and Uncle or his deceased parents etc... Round the clock harrassment. He should have gone to the police before the suicide attempt.

did i say I WOULD DO THAT?
no

i was speakign of the hypothetical person in the example.

clearly I would not hit a female myself

DUH

The scenario you were referring to was the 19yo dealing with female bullies.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score

there are lines you simply DO NOT CROSS, and there aint nothng wrong with reminding people of that from time to time when needed

we have really wussed out as a nation.....

this whole conversation reminds me of the scene in the godfather where the undertaker comes to vito corleone for justice.

dont go crying to the police. Handle It.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jenna
Twin Fist, can I ask please what would be your advice to any of your younger female family members who were being hassled, harrassed, stalked and having rumours about them spread online? Would you understand why this kind of thing which is only words sent through Facebook or across cellphones might upset them? If it were your younger sister or cousin maybe what would your advice to them be knowing how difficult it can be to ignore and knowing how cruel especially young people and teenagers can be sometimes? Is it not different for you because you are naturally of a tougher disposition? Maybe not everyone can be this way?? I do not know.

read what i wrote

"i would tell them to "

i didnt say i would do anything, i was asked how i would advise my daughter.

thats twice

is english your first language? or did you not read the posts i was responding to?

My English is just fine. Your solution in both scenario's was to beat the female bully up. I highlighted it for you.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
niether of those hypotheticals asked me what I would do.

got that? not for ME to do it,

i find violence towards women distastefull.

if it was ME and it was being hounded by females? who cares what they think or say. ignore the little idiots

but my daughter? she would be justified in pounding some ***.

and apparently your english isnt fine, since you, not once but TWICE came to the conclusion that I would attack people myself when i didnt say that at all.

you are 100% right that a background in MA makes one less likely to get away with assault. I know that which is why i am hesitant to do it myself.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score

if it was ME and it was being hounded by females? who cares what they think or say. ignore the little idiots

and apparently your english isnt fine, since you, not once but TWICE came to the conclusion that I would attack people myself when i didnt say that at all.

you are 100% right that a background in MA makes one less likely to get away with assault. I know that which is why i am hesitant to do it myself.

You, your daughter, the 19yo. How is your hypothetical daughter going to kick their arses? You suggested getting men to beat up the female bully. That's assault. You suggested the 19yo guy beat the girl up. I'm understanding you just fine. Them, you... your solution is to beat people up. In this day and age, that is assault and it's not a reasonable solution.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

I just spent who only ****ing knows how long verifying that you never said anything about Committing Violence, Personally.
All you did was Advocate the Idea. Which everyone does at some Point.

Violence is always an Option.
Perhaps not always the Best Option.
But People Settle Disputes with Hostility all the time. Its not always Violent, but Hostile, certainly.

This aint Happy Land The Planet.

Im just going to hop in here, and say; That I would tell them that the Warm, Tingly Feeling in their Head that made them feel either Emotionally Hurt, or like Breaking Something (Depends on a few Predispositions :p) is a Natural Response to such things. And that they should Read over what the Person has said to them, and Evaluate every Fault in their Accusations. Then, use those Faults to Justify Belittling the Other Persons Accusations, back to them. Then, the Person will likely Reply with either an Empty Insult, or Baseless Criticism, giving you Fuel to utterly Discredit them. But thats just Me. :)

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just spent who only ****ing knows how long verifying that you never said anything about Committing Violence, Personally.
All you did was Advocate the Idea. Which everyone does at some Point.

Violence is always an Option.
Perhaps not always the Best Option.
But People Settle Disputes with Hostility all the time. Its not always Violent, but Hostile, certainly.

This aint Happy Land The Planet.

I have a problem with advocating a violent response. Because if they don't have the means to use their fists or their words, what does the victim do? Pull out a gun?
It's just not an appropriate response outside of self-defense. Hostility rarely makes things better.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a problem with advocating a violent response. Because if they don't have the means to use their fists or their words, what does the victim do? Pull out a gun?
It's just not an appropriate response outside of self-defense. Hostility rarely makes things better.

Hostility is a Resolution.
Not everyone will play the Legal Game - Especially not Younger People.

And most People who Brawl are Completely Untrained, and beat each other just fine.

If you have a Problem with Advocating Violence, im sure youre set in that View.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
unreasonable situations call for unreasonable answers

there is no law to handle so called "online bullies" and i might add, who needs the police to handle thier problems i handle my own problems, thank you.

there is a line you do not cross

thats whats wrong with this country, too many people wanting to deal with unreasonable criminals reasonably.

you be the gazelle. I wont be. no one in my family will.

You, your daughter, the 19yo. How is your hypothetical daughter going to kick their arses? You suggested getting men to beat up the female bully. That's assault. You suggested the 19yo guy beat the girl up. I'm understanding you just fine. Them, you... your solution is to beat people up. In this day and age, that is assault and it's not a reasonable solution.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hostility rarely makes things better.

thus sayeth the victim

hostility almost always solves problems

hostility solved that pesky hitler problem

and the tojo problem

need i go on?

force, hostility and violence have solved more problems than anything else in the history of.....history

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
thus sayeth the victim

hostility almost always solves problems

hostility solved that pesky hitler problem

and the tojo problem

need i go on?

force, hostility and violence have solved more problems than anything else in the history of.....history

This statement is so full of fail, I hardly know where to begin. If what you say is true, then there is no place for rule of law and peace. Everything is solved by who can be the most violent. That is very chaotic and actually an anathema to what most human beings strive for, even those who use violence asa tool. In my experience, people who voice such opinions on violence, hostility, and force do so when they are the ones using such deplorable tools, but have as much issue with those things as the next person when they are victim to such things. If you indeed believe this stuff, then you would have no problem with someone taking your hard earned money at gun point or knife esge because after all, they are willing to use violence and are in a stronger position to you.

Telling a person to use violence as the go to technique as the answer for anything is not only wrong, but irresponsable. Yeah, sometimes violence is the answer to a problem. However that should be a last resort. Anyone who uses it as a first response is damaged and usually seperated by prison walls from the rest of us.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me say this one more time

if WORDS ON A SCREEN can hurt you, you have some underlying issues already

now this might not be true of kids, who havnt really developed a sense of self yet, but for adults? man the hell up

if they cant touch you, they cant hurt you

people's opinions cant hurt you

the words of strangers mean nothing

You are 100% correct with this! However, in the case of the online bulling, that led to that teenage girl killing herself, well, obviously we're talking about a kid vs an adult. A teen girl, who thought, that a boy was interested in her, only to suddenly turn on her...well, I think you know where I'm going.

As for an adult....well, like I said, I agree with what you said above...words on a screen really can't physically hurt you. Its easy to block someone, ignore someone, etc. Yet, interestingly enough, I've seen some reported posts by people on this forum, who I swear seem devastated by what others say. So that said, I have to wonder.....are those words really hurtful....or should people just man up and not let it bother them?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that as an adult, a person should not let something said in an online forum upset them overly much. You shouldn't let some jackass that just wants to spew venom control you in any manner. Having said that, it doesn't absolve above said jackass from any responsibility either. Like it or not, foums are a community of sorts and if a person wants to post they should try to stick to those community standards. Besides that, it is just common decency to not be a jackass to people. Common decency does still count for something, doesn't it?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that as an adult, a person should not let something said in an online forum upset them overly much. You shouldn't let some jackass that just wants to spew venom control you in any manner. Having said that, it doesn't absolve above said jackass from any responsibility either. Like it or not, foums are a community of sorts and if a person wants to post they should try to stick to those community standards. Besides that, it is just common decency to not be a jackass to people. Common decency does still count for something, doesn't it?

Couldn't agree more, and trust me, if I had a dollar for every time I've said that on THIS forum, I'd have millions! LOL!

Latest Discussions