What do you wish you could do more in class?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dive rolls. Because I am awesome at them.
I'm awesome at those, too. I'm a bit too confident in mine, though - or was until about 15 years ago. We had one of those rare classes where we were doing things like dive rolls (I think I've only ever participated in two classes like that). I was the only senior student (brown and up) participating after a while, as the young punks (20-ish purple and green belts) were seeing how far they could dive. I did one really long one (I forget how many kicking shields were lined up) that looked fantastic, but I injured my shoulder (doc now thinks I probably sprained the clavicle joint).

I still love doing them, though. Still want to do more. I don't learn real fast.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like longer classes too - but I think we're in the minority...

On Mondays we have an open class for an hour which leads straight in to the 5th kup and above class. Obviously the lower grades only do the first bit, but a surprising (to me) amount of higher grades only turn up for the second bit.

Tell them it's a 1.5-2 hour class and I think most wouldn't show...

The other thing I'd like to do more of is breaking - but I understand the logistics that make that difficult.

Oh, and more theory would be good - because I'm strange and I enjoy it ;)
When I go to join classes back at my old school, I often catch two classes in a row: 75 minutes and 60 minutes. Individually, they are too short for my taste. Together, they are quite nice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually thought it would be nice to have a class that focuses on the basics at my school. Of course, when we can find that time is beyond me.
I actually proposed a class like that at my old school years ago. There were no Friday classes, and I offered to teach a basics class on Fridays for anyone who wanted to show.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how you reply to post using different posts,
To reply to several posts, instead of "reply", click "+quote". The post will be added to your quotes list. Then, go to the bottom and use the reply box. Click on "insert quotes" to drop them all in, and you can reply to each.
(You can also select a section of a post, then click the "reply" and "+quote" options that pop up, to reply to parts of posts.

or part of the same post and answering in line. How do you do that?
To reply to several parts of the same post, just make sure each part is preceded by "quote" and followed by "/quote" - each of those must be in square brackets "[ ]".

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is up to the instructor how personally involved they want to get in someone's advancement. I remember many nights asking a student to stay late so we could work on something.
Ah that's awesome, the mark of a devoted instructor ;D

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is up to the instructor how personally involved they want to get in someone's advancement. I remember many nights asking a student to stay late so we could work on something.

It's kind of hard at my school for a few reasons.
  • We have 150+ students, so I obviously can't help them all
  • Our classes start immediately after the previous class ends, so there often isn't mat space available and I'm usually needed in the next class
  • It interferes with the business model when I, as the not master, give free private lessons without permission
There are a lot of students I wish I could spend more time with, either because A) I think they're really struggling and could use the extra help, or B) because I am busy helping others during class who need more help. For example, if one person is having trouble even performing a technique, I will help that person out, which means the person who is doing the technique adequately I cannot help them improve the technique.

I actually proposed a class like that at my old school years ago. There were no Friday classes, and I offered to teach a basics class on Fridays for anyone who wanted to show.

Well, we have two problems: 1) we already have classes Monday-Saturday. 2) I can propose the extra class, but I can't approve it, because as stated above, I'm not the master.

(Please note that I'm not complaining about my Master's policies, I'm merely explaining my place as his subordinate).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's kind of hard at my school for a few reasons.
  • We have 150+ students, so I obviously can't help them all
  • Our classes start immediately after the previous class ends, so there often isn't mat space available and I'm usually needed in the next class
  • It interferes with the business model when I, as the not master, give free private lessons without permission
There are a lot of students I wish I could spend more time with, either because A) I think they're really struggling and could use the extra help, or B) because I am busy helping others during class who need more help. For example, if one person is having trouble even performing a technique, I will help that person out, which means the person who is doing the technique adequately I cannot help them improve the technique.

Well, we have two problems: 1) we already have classes Monday-Saturday. 2) I can propose the extra class, but I can't approve it, because as stated above, I'm not the master.

(Please note that I'm not complaining about my Master's policies, I'm merely explaining my place as his subordinate).
I respect your deference to your Master. At our max we ran 175 students but our annual average over 10 years was 125 so I appreciate the hectic schedule. I am not talking about a full class. Often it was five minutes in a corner while other things were going on. There is no replacement for sharing your passion by showing someone you care. The best advertising you can do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To reply to several posts, instead of "reply", click "+quote". The post will be added to your quotes list. Then, go to the bottom and use the reply box. Click on "insert quotes" to drop them all in, and you can reply to each.
(You can also select a section of a post, then click the "reply" and "+quote" options that pop up, to reply to parts of posts.

To reply to several parts of the same post, just make sure each part is preceded by "quote" and followed by "/quote" - each of those must be in square brackets "[ ]".
Thank you Sir. Now if I can just remember how. Just like HTML, huh?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two things...

I wish we did more focus mit work, like in boxing and MT. We do it every now and then, but not to the extent nor with the regularity I’d like.

I wish we put on boxing gloves and head gear and did more Head contact every now and then. Not too often, but semi regularly. My CI says we should do it because we haven’t done it in years. I’d be all over a session every month or so. We’re pretty small and there’s a lot of older guys and ladies who’ve “been there, done that” so I don’t know how much interest he’ll generate for more than a one-off kind of night.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we have two problems: 1) we already have classes Monday-Saturday.
A decent problem to have. My dream dojo (which only exists in my mind) has some unused space always available for that other class we wish we had. I guess it also has someone who's available to teach it - hard to teach two classes at once, otherwise.

2) I can propose the extra class, but I can't approve it, because as stated above, I'm not the master.

I hear ya. I was in the same situation. My CI didn't see it as something he wanted to add.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A decent problem to have. My dream dojo (which only exists in my mind) has some unused space always available for that other class we wish we had. I guess it also has someone who's available to teach it - hard to teach two classes at once, otherwise.

I hear ya. I was in the same situation. My CI didn't see it as something he wanted to add.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Many times I would have a senior belt take someone aside and work with them one on one for a bit after a class while another class was starting up. We usually start a class with warmup and stretching so there is little or no interference to the class.
I suppose having another room would be good but I like the idea of also helping the senior belt learn to teach and the slight bit of adversity doing it at least semi in front of others.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times I would have a senior belt take someone aside and work with them one on one for a bit after a class while another class was starting up. We usually start a class with warmup and stretching so there is little or no interference to the class.
I suppose having another room would be good but I like the idea of also helping the senior belt learn to teach and the slight bit of adversity doing it at least semi in front of others.
When you reply, make sure you're not replying inside the quote - it makes it hard to find your reply, and hard to reply to you.

I've never had a space (even when I was teaching at my instructor's school) where that could work. There simply wasn't anywhere to work with someone while the next class was warming up. An instructor I know used to have a school with an area sort of around the corner of a wall from the main training area. It was filled with hanging bags, but had enough space to do some controlled grappling, if someone wanted to. It would actually have been possible to have a private class or even small group (if mostly striking) in that area during regular classes.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yea, never hit the board, hit 3 inches past the board.

When I studied TKD we understood the concept of striking through/past the object we were striking, but it was more focusing our maximum strength at a certain point. Is that what you meant also?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you reply, make sure you're not replying inside the quote - it makes it hard to find your reply, and hard to reply to you.

I've never had a space (even when I was teaching at my instructor's school) where that could work. There simply wasn't anywhere to work with someone while the next class was warming up. An instructor I know used to have a school with an area sort of around the corner of a wall from the main training area. It was filled with hanging bags, but had enough space to do some controlled grappling, if someone wanted to. It would actually have been possible to have a private class or even small group (if mostly striking) in that area during regular classes.
Is this what you mean. I am after the closing hashtag.

Latest Discussions