What do you think about Kajukenbo?

D

dozerb

Looking to get into martial arts for my son and myself.I want to take something that is very diverse.I understand what works in actual street fights and am looking for a style that incorperates striking but also doesnt forget the importance of grappling.Something that is a complete art.What martial art exists that is actually practical for street fighting/defense.Which teaches all aspects together?There are many Kajukenbo schools in my area.What are your impressions of Kajukenbo?I live 30 minutes from Fairfield,Vallejo,Stockton,Lodi,Antioch in California.Does anyone know of any well respected schools in my area I should check out?Any info will be greatly appreciated.

OP
T

traz

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Kajukenbo other than what each part of the word stands for, however Hapkido may offer you much of what you're looking for as well.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You better sign-up! You will have no regrets. Our Professor came from Kajukenbo( His instructor did some wrong things), So he left to start Universal Kempo-Karate. Many of the things we do (including the prayer) are almost the same. Our fighting styles are the same, like Kajukenbo, it includes ground work,grapping,stand-up,close-in fighting, we got Katas,sparring, almost everything you need.

Please visit a few schools and compare with others too! The training can be tough and you will learn many things about fighting.

If you ask who would I not want to face between, Karate man, Tae Kon do, or Kajukenbo man? From my experience, I would not want to fight a Kajukenbo man! We train like them! .....Aloha (not all school/teachers are the same)

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though I've not taken Kajukenbo specifically, I've heard great thinks about the curriculum and it does combine all the arts that would comprise a complete system. Check out all the schools and find the instructor you "click" with best. Best of luck.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was a blue belt in kajukenbo before I moved and took up kenpo, in my opinion it is a very good art. Kaju has a rep for producing tough fighters and is excellent in the self-defense arena. Kaju can be highly variable about its structure and focus depending on your instructor and what branch of the art it hails from. I totally agree on the advice from all the earlier posters to check in to see which instructors seems to work for you. Also see the newbies guide to selecting a school

A good list of kaju schools can be found here.

Good luck in your search for a school.

Lamont

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tried KajuKenbo and liked it, I joined again years later under a different instructor and was completely turned off to it. My advice is to check it out and see what you find.
Sean

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dozerb said:
Looking to get into martial arts for my son and myself. What are your impressions of Kajukenbo?
I live 30 minutes from Fairfield,Vallejo,Stockton,Lodi,Antioch in California.
Does anyone know of any well respected schools in my area I should check out? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Like any martial art.... it all depends on the instructor. Kajukenbo has some exceptional individuals from the top down. Sijo Emperado, Gary Forbach, Al Dacascos, Eric Lee, John Bishop ... and hundreds I have not mentioned.

To find out more in depth info on instructors in your area I suggest you contact John Bishop for guidance here on martial talk (he is listed in the members list) or his website : http://www.kajukenboinfo.com

:asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a very good style. One of my senior students has BB rank in Kajukenbo and he has only great things to say about the style. I myself have competed against some Kajukenbo BB's and have always been impressed. They have my respect, for what its worth. You will find the style very adaptable to yours and your son's martial needs.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
If you can't say anything good about something, don't say anything at all. Therefore...
By all means lets hear it. I feel as if it has too much kicking, what don't you like about it? This should be good.
Sean

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent:)
Perhaps as a TKD stylist, you would be best to avoid any battle:ultracool :) . Had to throw a stinger out

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, I've practiced with Tae Kwon Do students who didn't care about tournaments and who had some of the strongest technique I've ever seen. Could literally fold a sandbag in half.

Nice sense of humor though:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent:)
You see thats just it, we wouldn't be in battle because I don't study Kajukenbo; so, I wouldn't be taxing your wits this time. Now relax and spill it, you want to answer wouldn't have posted anything to begin with. :flame:
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I don't know, I've practiced with Tae Kwon Do students who didn't care about tournaments and who had some of the strongest technique I've ever seen. Could literally fold a sandbag in half.

Nice sense of humor though:asian:
Is bag folding TKD exclusive?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but just in case you think that Tae Kwon Do is strictly a tournament style with no power, I practiced with guys that demonstrate otherwise. And just in case you think Tae Kwon Do has no self defense application, I've practiced with guys who've shown otherwise. And my Instructor grew up in a time in Korea where he had to use TKD to defend himself against thugs. So KJKB does not have the market on "realistic" self defense.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love it!! Too bad there are no instructors here in Houston that are teaching it.:mad:

I like it because Judo is incorporated into the style and is a section on your belt test starting at Blue Belt. It is very fun and I love some of the techniques that the system requires.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
No, but just in case you think that Tae Kwon Do is strictly a tournament style with no power, I practiced with guys that demonstrate otherwise. And just in case you think Tae Kwon Do has no self defense application, I've practiced with guys who've shown otherwise. And my Instructor grew up in a time in Korea where he had to use TKD to defend himself against thugs. So KJKB does not have the market on "realistic" self defense.
I wasn't dissing TKD, I was asking about Kaju and what bothers you about it. Is the fact that its an Hawaiian mix bother you? Is it the grappling? The hand basics? You can't dislike the luftkicking stuff.
Sean

Latest Discussions