Kajukenbo Technique Videos

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware of the old Panther set with GM Gary Forbach. And it seems that GM Joe Halbuna put out a 4 video tape set. Are there any others commercially available?

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also, if anyone wants to offer their comments on both the Forbach and Halbuna tapes, it would be appreciated by me.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Forbach tapes are good.... Clearly shot, with good audio. Every techniques is done a couple times at different speeds allowing you to get a good look at the tech (along with the commentary) can be very helpful. Mr Forbachj is a great technition with clean technique so he is easy to "read"

I Have 1 Halbuna tape - Good, material a little more varied. The one downfall (forgive me for saying this please...) is when GM Halbuna demos techniques, actually the fact that he still breakfalls says alot about him. GM Halbuna undoubtly was great in his prime, however in the videos he would have been better off handed the duties off to his seniors. Also not as many replays of the techniques
Vote Forbach 1

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are only 4 series of Kajukenbo tapes that were commercially produced. Kai described the "Panther Productions" tapes that were shot in 1986, and are now distributed by "Century Martial Arts Supply".

GM Gary Forbach also did the "World Kajukenbo Organization" series of 8 video tapes in 1991. These were the tapes that were endorsed by the senior members of Kajukenbo, including founder, Adriano Emperado, as a record of the techniques of the "Original Method".
The filming was supervised by Sijo Emperado, who appears on each tape. And they include all the techniques for the belt ranks up to 1st degree.

SGM Joseph Halbuna did a set of tapes for "Pacific Rim Publishing Co." in the early 90's. These tapes are based somewhat on the "Original Method", but with several modifications he added over his years of teaching.

In the early 90's GM Al Dacascos did a 4 tape series of videos for "Unique Publications" on the "Won Hop Kuen Do" branch of Kajukenbo. This series is basically made up of Won Hop Kuen Do training drills, and concepts.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, TK. I plan to acquire both sets anyway, but your input is appreciated.

Thank you, Mr. Bishop. Do you know of a current source for purchase of the WKO tapes?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Forbach tapes are good.... Clearly shot, with good audio. Every techniques is done a couple times at different speeds allowing you to get a good look at the tech (along with the commentary) can be very helpful. Mr Forbachj is a great technition with clean technique so he is easy to "read"

These are now being marketed by Century, and they transferred them to DVD from video. I picked up the entire series on sale ($5/video) a couple of years ago and the digital transfer can be bad in places. Bad enough that I had them replace one of the disks, and even the replacement wasn't a big improvement. At $10 each at current prices, they are probably as good a deal as you can find on the video market, but they do have a downside.

Lamont

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think these might be in French :/ French kajukenbo, is that an oxymoron LOL???

Kajukenbo - Jean-Michel Pinard
5169CHM9JEL._AA240_.jpg

the WHKD tapes are available on Amazon, a few copies anyway
Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do VHS Dacascos

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are only 4 series of Kajukenbo tapes that were commercially produced. Kai described the "Panther Productions" tapes that were shot in 1986, and are now distributed by "Century Martial Arts Supply".

GM Gary Forbach also did the "World Kajukenbo Organization" series of 8 video tapes in 1991. These were the tapes that were endorsed by the senior members of Kajukenbo, including founder, Adriano Emperado, as a record of the techniques of the "Original Method".
The filming was supervised by Sijo Emperado, who appears on each tape. And they include all the techniques for the belt ranks up to 1st degree.

SGM Joseph Halbuna did a set of tapes for "Pacific Rim Publishing Co." in the early 90's. These tapes are based somewhat on the "Original Method", but with several modifications he added over his years of teaching.

In the early 90's GM Al Dacascos did a 4 tape series of videos for "Unique Publications" on the "Won Hop Kuen Do" branch of Kajukenbo. This series is basically made up of Won Hop Kuen Do training drills, and concepts.

Since the information here is from 2005, I just want to correct it. The WKO videos have been since converted to DVD, and are now available for sale commercially. The transfer to DVD was made from 1" professional quality master videos, so the audio and video quality is excellent. They are available for purchase here: http://kajukenboinfo.com/kajukenbo_products.aspx
or Ebay.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
How effective is it to learn from these videos? From what I understand with other martial arts, videos should primarily be used to reinforce what an instructor teaches you opposed to learning everything from the video.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How effective is it to learn from these videos? From what I understand with other martial arts, videos should primarily be used to reinforce what an instructor teaches you opposed to learning everything from the video.

They are meant to be a training aid to supplement your training under a qualified instructor. Basically, they're video notes to refresh your memory of the material you learned in classes.

Latest Discussions