What do you guys do for your injuries

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
By this I mean i say. How do you take care of back, knee, etc injuries
I would say it depends on the injury and to what extent it affects my sport. I have trained through sprained jaws and multiple broken toes. I'd go as far as to say I would train with broken limbs, and just put them in a cast and not use them. The issue is soft tissue injuries. The first thing I do is stop training until I hire a sports physiotherapist, preferably one with knowledge on my sport, but in BJJ and grappling as a whole they can be hard to find. After my diagnosis, I am told what to expect, how to fix it, and stick to it no matter what, to avoid making it worse.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
In general, I've not seen many good places where isometrics would be better than other exercises - and many suggestions where I'm not sure there's any net benefit, at all. Lower back would be an exception.
Endurance exercises are a good example of the value of isometrics. Holding any position, weighted or not. You need a lot more than muscle. You need muscle, tendon, ligament, bone, and willpower.

The square horse stance is an isometric (so is a lot of beginner martial Qigong). These are designed to let someone get stronger at standing in, and later moving their own dead weight. Not so easy for most.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
none of that silly ‘knee-over-toes’ form when squatting etc.
I'd have to disagree with you on this. When people squat (not bend down to pick something up) they squat down on their toes like in a Hindu squat. It is a natural instinct, and a natural movement. If it was that harmful we wouldn't be programmed to do it. Even experienced gymrats and powerlifters don't squat down like they would with a barbell on their back. Wrestling penetration shots involve tons of knees-over-toes movement. Martial arts as a whole do. I personally am currently doing at least 100 Hindu squats daily, which also happen to develop the muscle in our legs with the highest density of fast-twitch muscle fibers in our lower body, which are very beneficial for martial arts.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
just curious..what do you Deadlift?
I used to squat heavy but now i train lighter but with exercises like the Zercher squat.
Definitely has some carry over to martial arts such as MMA or any throwing arts.
Zercher squats are great. I don't do them personally because of the huge stress on the elbow joints when you start doing heavier reps. Currently, I am doing tons of body weight, but I would say the best exercises for martial arts are kettlebells and Bulgarian bag exercises. I highly enjoy Turkish get-ups personally.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with you on this. When people squat (not bend down to pick something up) they squat down on their toes like in a Hindu squat. It is a natural instinct, and a natural movement. If it was that harmful we wouldn't be programmed to do it. Even experienced gymrats and powerlifters don't squat down like they would with a barbell on their back. Wrestling penetration shots involve tons of knees-over-toes movement. Martial arts as a whole do. I personally am currently doing at least 100 Hindu squats daily, which also happen to develop the muscle in our legs with the highest density of fast-twitch muscle fibers in our lower body, which are very beneficial for martial arts.
Baithaks for the win, dude.

Somebody (maybe you) drops something on the floor? Baithak.

Think about what you're scooping up with those squats.

It's easy for me, being a chef. I must do a hundred baithak a day just picking up dropped food bits. Lettuce, olive, pepper...

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you a young man, Ivan? Tell us how your knees are doing in 30+years time 😉

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Zercher squats are great. I don't do them personally because of the huge stress on the elbow joints when you start doing heavier reps. Currently, I am doing tons of body weight, but I would say the best exercises for martial arts are kettlebells and Bulgarian bag exercises. I highly enjoy Turkish get-ups personally.
i wrap a towel over the bar..no problem. some bars do have aggressive cuts in them especially Olympic bars.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Front squats or Zercher squats are great for deep squats without hurting your back.
Lighter weights with great Quad development but minimal glutes.
Powerful Glute development is great if you want to be a sprinter, & other sports but if you´ve knee or lower back problems then use an exercise which will hit the "Quads" directly with lighter weights.
Deep squats as mentioned hit your Glutes harder but there´s many factors here.. age, fitness, depth..etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious..what do you Deadlift?
I used to squat heavy but now i train lighter but with exercises like the Zercher squat.
Definitely has some carry over to martial arts such as MMA or any throwing arts.
I haven’t done anything close to a max deadlift in years. I can’t even think the last time I did a deadlift. I have a smattering of weights at home, but nothing close to a useful weight for deadlift. And when I have a chance to go to a gym, I stick to machines for heavy stuff, mostly because I’m out of practice with free weights and suspect my form would be off enough to risk injury (assuming I’m not already injured, which I have been for about 15 months).

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven’t done anything close to a max deadlift in years. I can’t even think the last time I did a deadlift. I have a smattering of weights at home, but nothing close to a useful weight for deadlift. And when I have a chance to go to a gym, I stick to machines for heavy stuff, mostly because I’m out of practice with free weights and suspect my form would be off enough to risk injury (assuming I’m not already injured, which I have been for about 15 months).
machines are OK but i have free weights at home with more than enough plates.
True it costs to set up a basic Home Gym set up but in the long run it saves time & money.
hell i train naked if i want bro :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
machines are OK but i have free weights at home with more than enough plates.
True it costs to set up a basic Home Gym set up but in the long run it saves time & money.
hell i train naked if i want bro :D
I don’t have the space for much. I have a few kettlebells and a couple of light dumbbells. When I have more income, I want to add a set of adjustable dumbbells.

For now, my main limiting factor is my current injuries- I can’t do any significant weight with my right arm (epicondylitis, a nerve impingement, and some injury to the capsule), and still have to be cautious with my left arm (50% year in the common flexor tendon last year).

My arms are old.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don’t have the space for much. I have a few kettlebells and a couple of light dumbbells. When I have more income, I want to add a set of adjustable dumbbells.

For now, my main limiting factor is my current injuries- I can’t do any significant weight with my right arm (epicondylitis, a nerve impingement, and some injury to the capsule), and still have to be cautious with my left arm (50% year in the common flexor tendon last year).

My arms are old.
if you don´t mind me asking how old are U ? " Dumbbell rods & a load of plates & you can do everything.
A flat bench you can make for example when my kids were small in their room they had a big sturdy wooden box filled with toys, i used it as a flat bench.
Can do floor presses & Flyes on the floor or even on a bed
the Floor press was used & is still used by some powerlifters.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you don´t mind me asking how old are U ? "
I'm 53, and showing the effects of some of my training (dislocations and other injuries along the way), as well as some of my other activities.
Dumbbell rods & a load of plates & you can do everything.
A flat bench you can make for example when my kids were small in their room they had a big sturdy wooden box filled with toys, i used it as a flat bench.
Can do floor presses & Flyes on the floor or even on a bed
the Floor press was used & is still used by some powerlifters.

The "load of plates" becomes the issue, already. Our house is pretty small, and we both have home offices, plus my workshop, and room for 5 animals and 2 humans. It's just crowded. So the few kettlebells and a couple of dubmbells is all I can really make space for in any place where there's room to actually use them.

I have a TRX kit, but haven't found a good place to set up at home - it got much more use when I used to travel frequently. I've gotten creative with a chin-up bar and old gi belts to do some of the same stuff, but can't do any of that right now because of my arms. Mostly it's just very ligth weights (nothing over 10 lbs for now) on a limited number of exercises, or bodyweight stuff (not even full-weight pushups for now).

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm 53, and showing the effects of some of my training (dislocations and other injuries along the way), as well as some of my other activities.

The "load of plates" becomes the issue, already. Our house is pretty small, and we both have home offices, plus my workshop, and room for 5 animals and 2 humans. It's just crowded. So the few kettlebells and a couple of dubmbells is all I can really make space for in any place where there's room to actually use them.

I have a TRX kit, but haven't found a good place to set up at home - it got much more use when I used to travel frequently. I've gotten creative with a chin-up bar and old gi belts to do some of the same stuff, but can't do any of that right now because of my arms. Mostly it's just very ligth weights (nothing over 10 lbs for now) on a limited number of exercises, or bodyweight stuff (not even full-weight pushups for now).
weight plates take up no space under your bed, a load of 5kg or 11.023 lb.
some smaller plates to cover small jumps on exercises & you´re good to go. I would also get two 10kg plates or 22,046 lb plates for the rows but the 5kg plates are smaller & better for the benches on the floor.
Indeed you can make your own Dumbbell rods getting them from anywhere like a DIY store cut to a lenghth that will take enough plates. Collars for the bars you can get very cheaply.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
weight plates take up no space under your bed, a load of 5kg or 11.023 lb.
some smaller plates to cover small jumps on exercises & you´re good to go. I would also get two 10kg plates or 22,046 lb plates for the rows but the 5kg plates are smaller & better for the benches on the floor.
Indeed you can make your own Dumbbell rods getting them from anywhere like a DIY store cut to a lenghth that will take enough plates. Collars for the bars you can get very cheaply.
Our bed has no “under” (there are drawers there), and there’s no space to exercise in that room, anyway. You’re pushing simple solutions without knowledge of the situation.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our bed has no “under” (there are drawers there), and there’s no space to exercise in that room, anyway. You’re pushing simple solutions without knowledge of the situation.
Couldn’t you convert your second, luxury alpine lodge’s third annex wing into a fully equipped gym and sauna?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t you convert your second, luxury alpine lodge’s third annex wing into a fully equipped gym and sauna?
Listen, that place only has about 7500 square feet of available space. I don't want to crowd it - the help needs room to stay out of my way.

Latest Discussions