New to Judo

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
I’m about to turn 37 at the end of January. I decided to start Judo next week for the first time in my life. I’m pretty excited about it because this art has fascinated me for a real long time. I found a dojo about 6 miles from my house, it’s ran by a 5th dan who built a beautiful Japanese style dojo in his backyard. The club has about 8 members all adults. They train Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-8pm. It’s pretty cheap at $120 every 3 months. They want me to come observe class on Tuesday then start training Thursday next week.

How should I prepare? I have a white adidas judo gi already. Any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I’m 6’4” about 200lbs with no past injuries. I’m pretty excited to finally start this journey!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How should I prepare?
If you can do the hand stance against the wall, it can help you to see the world upside down. you will feel more comfortable when you train the throwing art.

hand_stance_against_wall.jpg

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How should I prepare? I have a white adidas judo gi already. Any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I’m 6’4” about 200lbs with no past injuries. I’m pretty excited to finally start this journey!
They may start with teaching breakfalls. Along the way, it can help to learn overall judo principles and concepts.

Playlist: Judo Theory and Principles

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

hope these help. Don’t go hard etc and take care of yourself, I would like to start too, I’m 38 with lower back arthritis

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stretch and warm up your body a bit beforehand - something simple, like walking a bit or a very light jog/bike ride before the class, just to help you be limber. Most schools will do that in class at the beginning, but it's not always guaranteed. Outside of that, if you're looking for how to train in advance, I'd recommend doing a half hour or so of yoga each day.

Latest Discussions